PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating start :(

JPGargoyle
04-16-2003, 01:29 PM
Hi!

After all I've heard about blender, and even knowing it has a confusing interface at start, I decided to give Blender a try.

So I've downloaded and installed it (version 2.25) and started with some tutorials to get a feeling of it.

But right at the beginning, doing the Building a Castle (http://www.blender3d.org/_media/education/quickstart/Building_Castle.html) tut, a simple one, I get stuck right in the middle while trying to do the caste walls. :(

When I try to extrude my walls I keep getting the same error: ERROR: Can't Extrude :annoyed:

I've tryed redoing it several times and keep getting the same error.

This is really frustrating and is making me think of giving up.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? :(

Thank you.

Best regards.

dreamsgate
04-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Okay, it's a little hard to tell from the screen shot, but it could be a couple of things.

1. Are you in edit mode? Edit mode is entered by hitting the TAB key, you will see your selected object with little boxes in pink or yellow, the little boxes are the vertices of the object.

2. Do you have an object actively selected? Right mouse click on an object to select it, it will turn pink.

JPGargoyle
04-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by dreamsgate
Okay, it's a little hard to tell from the screen shot, but it could be a couple of things.

1. Are you in edit mode? Edit mode is entered by hitting the TAB key, you will see your selected object with little boxes in pink or yellow, the little boxes are the vertices of the object.

2. Do you have an object actively selected? Right mouse click on an object to select it, it will turn pink.

Yes, I am in Edit mode and I have the object selected. :(

This time I can't even do the first extrusion. :( :(

In the example above, the error appeared while I was trying to do the second extrusion.

Don't know what the hell is going on :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :thumbsdow

Beste regards.

dreamsgate
04-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Okay, this screen shot is clearer, I can see the vertices you want to extrude.

1. Press the "B" key and box select all five vertices, they will turn yellow. then hit "E" for extrude.

In order to do anything in edit mode, the vertices must be yellow. Pink vertices are not selected, Pink is active only for objects when not in edit mode.

Good luck.

JPGargoyle
04-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Here is the first pic in gif format. Is a lot better than in jpg format.

dreamsgate
04-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Yep, thats the problem, your vetices are pink therefore not selected, use "B" to box select them. they will turn yellow, now you should be able to extrude them.

JPGargoyle
04-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by dreamsgate
Okay, this screen shot is clearer, I can see the vertices you want to extrude.

1. Press the "B" key and box select all five vertices, they will turn yellow. then hit "E" for extrude.

In order to do anything in edit mode, the vertices must be yellow. Pink vertices are not selected, Pink is active only for objects when not in edit mode.

Good luck.

GHHAAAAHHH!! HOW CAN I BE SO STUUUUPIIIID!!!??!?! :blush: :cry:

I thought PINK was the selected vertices.

Thank you very much!:applause: :applause: :bounce: :thumbsup:

Now I can follow the rest of the tut.
I'm liking blender again ;) he he he

Best regards.

dreamsgate
04-17-2003, 02:23 AM
Glad to help, be careful, blender can be addicting.

Elsdon
04-18-2003, 12:55 AM
There's no turning back now. :applause:

JPGargoyle
04-18-2003, 01:34 AM
Yup, you bet! :thumbsup:

I'm getting hooked he he he:bounce:

Best regards.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.