PDA

View Full Version : Simple Mapping Question

BUZZFX
11-22-2007, 01:02 AM
I created a simple model with about 6 hour glass shapes and exported it as a OBJ. I then opened it in another 3D application and selected all the parts and assigned the same material to them. Problem is one of the hour glass shapes shows the material flipped vertically. I think this may be due to me creating this hour glass shapes upside down in C4D (this is a guess on my part)

My question is this: Can I just open up the Original C4D file and select the problem hour glass shape and then select something like "Reverse Normals" or something else to change the mapping so when it opens in this other 3D application and apply the mnaterial to all of the objects they are all facing the same direction?

I can't easily just flip the hour glass because it is wider on one end.

Thanks

3dj
11-22-2007, 02:34 AM
hi, I doubt it is the normals causing the trouble. How are you creating your .obj? Built in export or the prefered riptide plug-in? (it's free)

If all else fails, you should be able to mirror the texture in the other program, but you could mirror it vertically before you export it from C4D, maybe that would do it for you.

-Jim

Activator
11-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the model's "axis" has a lot to do with how textures map. I was having trouble geting a gradient to show on the lower 1/2 of a type object, and then discovered that the axis tool would move the gradient up/down so I could place it correctly.

Maybe try using the move axis tool to flip the axis upside down?

BUZZFX
11-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks Jim yes I am using export with no Riptide. Can I get it for R10? Also I don't understand what mirroring does? How does it place the texture?

Thanks

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the model's "axis" has a lot to do with how textures map. I was having trouble geting a gradient to show on the lower 1/2 of a type object, and then discovered that the axis tool would move the gradient up/down so I could place it correctly.

Maybe try using the move axis tool to flip the axis upside down?

Thanks Activator, Have not heard of this myself. I always make sure the axis point is in the center of my object. Could you explain how to do this?

Thanks

Activator
11-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Select the "Use Object Axis" tool (just below the Use Object tool on the left hand tool bar) and then choose the Rotate tool, and rotate the axis 180 on the X axis. This should flip the texture.

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2007, 11:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.