PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray subsurface scattering node?

ME3D
04-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Anyone having looked at this tutorial (http://www.motiondesign.biz/sss_3.html) on Subsurface scattering able to explain where to find the 'PARTI-VOLUME' Node ?

"Assing a 'PARTI-VOLUME' Node to the MR Volume Shader-Node"
for the volume shader?

Maybe I'm tired but regardless I dont know anything about this or where to locate it at.

Please help.......Desperate.......Must figure out........

stunndman
04-16-2003, 11:43 AM
in the hypershade editor - Create->mental ray Volumetric Materials->Parti_Volume

ME3D
04-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Sorry to ask that if you are sure, but I'm confused on this. Under create I dont have a mental ray option.
P.S. Not in either 4.5 or now 5.
Is there A spot I need to turn on the options??

stunndman
04-16-2003, 05:15 PM
you have to explicitly enable the mental ray shaders - before using mental ray i really recommend reading through the maya specific mental ray documentation - especially the "Using mental ray for Maya" chapter - there are many differences you have to be aware of

mental ray for Maya supports many mental ray custom shaders. mental ray for Maya supports Maya-type shaders, textures and lights, as well as importing arbitrary libraries of mental ray custom shaders. These custom shaders can be assembled into shading networks using Maya's Hypershade and assigned to Maya objects. Integrated rendering with custom shading networks is therefore fully supported.

Important
This is an advanced user feature. It is available in Hypershade only if you set the following environment variable to a value of 1.

MAYA_MRFM_SHOW_CUSTOM_SHADERS

ME3D
04-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the tip. I had read through, but missed several parts as I hit links of particular interest. Logical place for alias to put it though. I'm just kicking myself for having had to ask.

Thanks again,
ME3D

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.