PDA

View Full Version : Putting YafRay to Work?

JA-forreal
04-16-2003, 08:16 AM
I find that many of Blenders ever beta phython scripts are as stable as Blender itself. I have been using the OBJ eport script to output my scenes with complete uv mapping to other 3d programs.

I find that Yafray is no different. It handled small scene like the one that I posted and it handled a large scene from my project files flawlessly. The file was over 1.5 million polys, uvs and all weighing in at 200 Megs. The export took about 10 min. and the test renders took 4 min at 1 sample AA. After about 2 hours and about 9 renders later I had a web slash screen ready at 640X480 at 16 samples with radiosity. It was ready for slicing and dicing after a little contrast adjustment. That's 3d production.

Hey, list some of your Yafray test render specs!

JA-forreal
04-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Well that 200 meg was a bit "meaty" for reality don't you think? If you really want to setup YafRay for rendering insanely huge Blender stills and animations with really fast test renders there's a simple fuction in Yable. (BTW I have 3 computers at hand so my insane test renders didn't slow me down. So I guess I'm not too insane.) In reality most of my YafRay renders start as proxy renders.

First create simple "Proxy" objects for you stills and animations. Then put your real scene objects on another layer in Blender. You will render the Layer with the proxy objects then use those settings for your detailed objects later. In the Yable console press the "Layers" button. In the layers area select "all layers off" then select only the layers that you want Yable to export. Hit the back button. Export your xml and render the test. When your satisfied turn off the proxy layer in Blender and activate the detailed layer in Blender and Yable and assign all your materials in Yable if you haven't done this already. Export the stuff and sit back and await the Yafray render glory!

Or Get some rest, watch tv, get your other work done, bake a cake, read, take a day trip, etc.

paradox
04-17-2003, 12:38 AM
Nice tip, good way to do test renders until you get what you want before doing the final full scene render. Thanks for sharing.
Paradox

JA-forreal
04-17-2003, 01:10 AM
Your welcome. When YafRay gets integrated into Blender we can still use this "proxy render" method to speed things up. I use it for my Blender renders too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.