PDA

View Full Version : Accomplished

alexanimator
11-21-2007, 03:22 AM
Well, first of all I got the all important frame counter on my animation now. Should be easier to critique. Anyways, this is my newest one. Overall, i think it's pretty good. There are some jumps i noticed in the render but decided to post it anyway as is. It is a work in progress after all.

http://www.hagbros.com/ACCOMPLISHED_smooth_ren.mov

Happy critiquing and happy turkey day.

anthonymcgrath
11-21-2007, 08:39 AM
hey Alex,
great animation but got some pointers if you want?

-I'd try making that first jump a bit more of an effort. It looks a little like "ah go on I'll give it a go but I'm not fussed if I don't make it up really". Make it more like he's trying. Also Try adding a look up after he lands off the first jump.. a kind of "hmm need to try harder here" kind of pose?

-other thing is the legs once he's grabbed the top of the wall, as they make their way up the wall, try to avoid that 'springing out' motion they currently have.

-maybe after he gets on top of the wall a balancing out motion would help prior to the full stand-up like he's just ensuring his COG is right on top of that rather thin wall. If you think about scaling a wall yourself you wouldn't climb up then just stand up straight, you'd slowly raise your body into that position whilst making sure your balanced. you may not fully make that stand up pose at all due to the height/vertigo feeling (and this is coming from someone who won't climb up walls n ladders but jumps from planes every wkend lol!!)

-make the bow smaller

-the wobbling is good but it almost looks like he corrects it then takes the tumble. Try getting that wobble into the fall more - a present he takes a small wobble, medium wobble, big wobble, then a small wobble.. appears to stabilise then falls off? Blend these wobbles into the fall and that should look well smart :thumbsup:

-the fall looks a bit floaty.

-the impact on the floor feels soft, I think this is because his arms and feet are seen relaxing for a few frames prior to impact.

great first shot though - tough anim to do. your wobble stuff is great though and I like the cheeky bum wiggle prior to jump 2 :D

alexanimator
11-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks Anthony,

I love the idea of him not standing up so easily, i could add some arm balancing to that. Also, when looking at his last, what looks like a "corrective wobble", i can see how to make him seem less in control at that point. To be honest, I half assed the fall, because I'm so bent on everything leading up to it. I'll definitely work on all this. Awesome crits man, thanks a ton for your time.

anthonymcgrath
11-21-2007, 03:53 PM
nee probs - looking forward to update - its a really nice bit of animation and certainly not easy to tackle but the wobble poses are nailed spot on :)

Borogove
11-21-2007, 07:17 PM
It is indeed a tough one to pull off, and I think you've done a great job so far.

One thing I'd add to Anthony's critique (which was right on, btw) is that I'd like to see more recoil to his arms, legs and head as he hits the ground. It also wouldn't hurt to have him bounce a bit higher.

I would reccommend keeping him in a pose like he is around frame 386 until he hits the ground. From there you can set his limbs to a pancake-flat pose, then to a pose somewhere between the two as a bounce-back. Offset the animation down the chain of each limb until you get a nice, floppy, recoiling effect.

Hope that helps! Keep up the good work.

CGTalk Moderation
11-21-2007, 07:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.