PDA

View Full Version : CG Retrospective 2007 - suggestion call

PaulHellard
11-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Hi all,

December is just around the corner and soon 2007 will be all in the past. We are compiling a Top 20 list of CG-related highlights for the year. This thread will be open for everyone to drop in suggestions for the top CG-related events or things that happened in 2007. We'll then have a community-based list of the top CG-related things that happened in 2007 to compile the CG Top 20 - 2007 article.

Here is the CG Retrospective 2006 article (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3890):

…and the CG Retrospective article for 2005 (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3306):

Critieria for selection
Whatever is selected in this list needs to be innovative, landmark or very cool. We are interested in events, movies, short films, games, products, software or anything that had a major effect on the CG industry in 2007. It could be the release of a new software product, a new version of a software with lots of new innovations or hardware product, a plug-in, game, a VFX or CG movie or short film, in fact anything related to CG that had a profound effect on you and your colleagues.

Bring on the suggestions!

Paul

erebos
11-21-2007, 02:25 AM
Some fairly obvious ones that come to mind:

Pixar's Ratatouille
A magnificent movie that reaffirmed Pixar's reputation as industry leaders in cg animation and pushing technological boundaries to produce a near flawless 3d film. Furthermore, it was perhaps the best told story for a pixar film to date with countless layers and levels of sophistication for all sorts of audiences.

Transformers
One of the best integrations of cg into a live-action film i've seen, it was amazing at creating believable characters out of the somewhat absurd 80's cartoon robots.

Assassin's Creed
An amazing boundary pushing game that has shown just how immersive, detailed and interactive a game world can be.

SideFX Houdini's Apprentice HD Offer
Only happened the other day, but it showed a willingness to cater world-class software to a much broader market than just elite vfx studios.

SergioSantos
11-21-2007, 02:25 AM
mudbox acquired by autodesk
Ratatouille
max and maya 2008
Beowulf
ZBrush 3.1
E3 cut off
oscar to Happy feet
videogames industry growing more and more every year (big videogames releases, like Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy [wii success]...) + directX 10
new graphic cards, quad cores and all these hardware stuff
wacom cintiq (at least the new one, 12")

I'll edit if I have more ideas... (maybe I put something that happened before january)

salmonmoose
11-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Bioshock! :)

TopherMartini
11-21-2007, 02:52 AM
There were definitely a lot of good software goodies this year...

• Autodesk Maya 8.5
• Skymatter acquired by Autodesk
• RenderMan Studio / RenderMan Pro Server 13.5 / RenderMan for Maya 2
• Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard / CoreAnimation
• Luxology Modo 301
• Houdini Apprentice HD

swardson
11-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Ratatouille,
Transformers,
Renderman Studio (Renderman for Maya Pro)
POTC (At Worlds End)

More to come as I think of it,

Brad

erilaz
11-21-2007, 03:55 AM
Nintendo's success this year has been phenomenal.
Adobe Creative Suite 3 was officially released, providing some excellent new additions
XSI makes Essentials into a more robust package
Assassin's creed shows the depth people are willing to go to get amazing game character animation
ZBrush 3.0 offficially released, then ZBrush 3.1 kicks it's butt with a better interface.
Making small but impressive waves, the DS homebrew "Colors (http://www.collectingsmiles.com/colors/)" painting application emerges. Probably not top-20 ground shaking, but everyone thinks it's pretty darn cool!

TopherMartini
11-21-2007, 04:07 AM
Forgot an important one...

• iPhone

Now there is CGTalk anywhere you have an EDGE/GPRS signal :thumbsup:

Making small but impressive waves, the DS homebrew "Colors (http://www.collectingsmiles.com/colors/)" painting application emerges. Probably not top-20 ground shaking, but everyone thinks it's pretty darn cool!

This was definitely a year for homebrew and retro gaming. Just look at the popularity of classic games on the Wii Shop Channel and the forthcoming Wii Ware buzz, there will be some cool developments in this market for 2008.

bwtr
11-21-2007, 05:09 AM
MoI

3D Brush

slapnutz
11-21-2007, 05:21 AM
Crysis from Crytek for PC gaming?

I guess you could also nominate CryEngine 2.0 since it is the most advanced and graphically impressive game engine powering an actually released titled (Crysis).

Also, designs firms haved used it for pre-vis and "fly throughs" thus showing a new market for real-time game engines?

Youplaboum
11-21-2007, 07:28 AM
I'll say

Zbrush3.1
Adobe CS3 products, especially Photoshop with 32 bit image editing
Ratatouille, best film ever made in 3D imo
Spiderman3 sandman sequence
cryTech engine
Call of duty 4
WII success
Intel Quad Core

kaspars
11-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Adobe Creative Suite
Ratatouille
Gears of War
Portal
Maya 2k8
Valve's Orange Box

harmonic01
11-21-2007, 09:16 AM
I just wanted to throw Team Fortress 2 / Portal out there.

FabioMSilva
11-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Crysis and Davy Jones

and z3.1

AikoWorld
11-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Zbrush 3.1
Maya Max 2008
Crysis/crytech
Vue PLE
BeoWulf
Ratatouille

NunoNisa
11-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Tried to pull of the bat a tight but quite decent list...

definately:

Transformers - rising what is achievable with VFX

300 - rising what is achievable with VFX with a $20 budget

XSI 6 - Innovating and developing in one single package the 4 main areas of 3D

Houdini Apprentice HD - Innovating, developing easing extremely complex hard to achieve VFX

XSI 6 Essentials - raising up the out-the-box affordable 3D software standards

Zbrush 3 - speaks for it self

Organic Motion's and(last year) Softimge's FaeceRobot markerless mocap system

Autodesk - Aquiring everything that can be buyable (which doesn't necessarily means
good...)

Organic procedural shaders development - not that itself had brought already CGI to another level but the development for itself is already a landmark

NunoNisa
11-21-2007, 10:41 AM
messed up with threads posted 2x sorry.It's what gives to comment while working... Don't do it kids just as smoke, it's bad...

pemy
11-21-2007, 11:02 AM
-Aardman split with Dreamworks and join Sony
-halo 3 (selling record)
-rman pro server 13.5 and renderman for maya pro
-Ratatouille
-Autodesk Mudbox

jramauri
11-21-2007, 11:36 AM
The amazing ZBrush 3.1.

MiguelPerez
11-21-2007, 01:06 PM
The new version of Houdini, H9, and his apprentice HD.

erilaz
11-21-2007, 02:28 PM
I just wanted to throw Team Fortress 2 / Portal out there.

Holy moly, how could I forget one of the greatest games to come out this year (I haven't played Mario Galaxy yet, so i'm reserving my top spot)! Portal rocked like no other, and the animation and character dev in Team Fortress was astounding.

Venkman
11-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Some fairly obvious ones that come to mind:

SideFX Houdini's Apprentice HD Offer
Only happened the other day, but it showed a willingness to cater world-class software to a much broader market than just elite vfx studios.

I vote for this one, erebos! I can't stress enough how amazing I think this is. Yes, it is a way to get people hooked and buy the software later, but it gives hobbyists and solo illustrators/filmmakers TRUE access to real high end tools they could never afford otherwise.

paintbox
11-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I go along with the other suggestions and add this :

Alexander McQueen Fashion Show Hologram

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQT0vcw7xZM)This really got into the spotlights this year.

se7enthcin
11-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Zbrush 3.0 and 3.1 with it's beautiful gui, new brushes and refined work flow
Modo 301 with it's new animation features and refined work flow
CryTech engine for it's awesome capabilities and sandbox editor.
Wii's continued success
Ratatouille with it's use of subsurface scattering and Renderman being, Renderman.
Team Fortress 2 for it's beautiful artistic direction and fantastic game play.
Portal 2 for inspiration for the future of gaming.
Spiderman 3 for sandman's technical achievement.
organic procedural textures development establishing a landmark for 3d for years to come.
Adobe CS3 for many innovations and compatibility across many applications within their own company (i.e. the actual assimilation of macromedia and getting rid of the fluff)
Assassin's Creed for it's innovative aproach to gameplay and AI.
Gnomon's gnomonology.com for offering tutorials in pieces.
Luxology.tv for offering tutorials/tips and tricks for free.
Call of Duty 4 for it's use of normal mapping on models that in many cases lower in poly count than Call of duty 2.
The iPhone for changing the way we interact with hand held devices.
Transformers for it's beautiful models and sfx but not for the directer and quick close-up cuts.

If Rock Band ends up a success. I would throw that in there for good measure.

FabioMSilva
11-21-2007, 06:19 PM
300 - rising what is achievable with VFX with a $20 budget

? 300 Budget was 60 million dollars, which is a lot. Not so much as other heavy VFX movies true, but its a lot none than less

maxspider3000
11-21-2007, 07:27 PM
sorry ... double post

maxspider3000
11-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Ratatouille ... the BEST, till now ...
ZBrush 3 ... what else? it's zbrush guys ...
Max 2008 ... looks more better ...
Spiderman 3 ... 3 enemies and a spider, what a big mass of cg ....
Transformers .... man, the film that I hoped it to be, and it is :)

maybe more soon ... I guss one year is a so long time to remember all the events on it ...
I will make a mind refresh, then who knows ... ^_^

mastajappa
11-21-2007, 08:12 PM
I think it is time that Maxon Cinema4d also gets some attention in this.
Do agree on;

ZBRUSH 3
RATATOUILE (Loved every pixel, polygon and animation)
TEAM FORTRESS 2
TRANSFORMERS (Must admit that the storyline made me puke but it all belongs to the concept)
Apple's dual quadcores (Not even an apple fan, especially not Steve Jobs)

Will get back if someting pops to mind.

AnimAmaker
11-21-2007, 08:27 PM
-MAYA 2k8 :wip:

-Transformers :eek:

-Surf's Up :deal:

-Bee movie :thumbsup:

-GF 8800 / DX10 :eek:

-Multi Core Processors :argh:

-Adobe CS3 :bounce:

-Half-life 2 episode two :applause:

L33tace
11-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Transformers
Ratatouille

in fact anything related to CG that had a profound effect on you and your colleagues.
not exactly profound, but its cg and it hit the funny bone many a time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl95zjzhbi0
(CG thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=477332))

salmonmoose
11-22-2007, 12:44 AM
Forgot an important one...

• iPhone

Now there is CGTalk anywhere you have an EDGE/GPRS signal :thumbsup:

This was definitely a year for homebrew and retro gaming. Just look at the popularity of classic games on the Wii Shop Channel and the forthcoming Wii Ware buzz, there will be some cool developments in this market for 2008.

Oh - so YOU'RE the one who has been using an iPhone to browse the forums :)

amannin
11-22-2007, 02:14 AM
300 -- easily the best movie this year (wasn't dissapointed one second); beautiful cinematography.

modo 301 -- not too mention luxology's online support/community/tutorials :)

cgTalk.com --> this website/community will forever remain at the top of my list :love:

*if i think up more, i'll edit my list*

TopherMartini
11-22-2007, 05:33 AM
Oh - so YOU'RE the one who has been using an iPhone to browse the forums :)
There's got to be more than just one... :D

The iPhone and CGTalk have been a great way to pass time on the go, although the technological umbilical cord needs to get cut eventually. When you're bored in the boss' staff meeting that does not mean it's ok to browse the latest updates in the CG News forum :rolleyes:

harshpalkhurana
11-23-2007, 04:57 AM
Autodesk Maya Max 2008
Spiderman 3
Ratatouille
Adobe CS3

Wilson-3d
11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Pixar's Ratatouille

Transformers

chuky500
11-28-2007, 03:24 AM
I think the retrospective needs to talk about Allegorithmic ProFX, the software technology that allows to have real-time procedural shaders in games like Unreal 3 or Roboblitz.
And Surf's up needs to be in too.

Chatchai
11-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Transformers
Autodesk Max Maya 2008
Adobe CS3
Apple Inc.

russellwilkins
11-28-2007, 06:55 AM
It seems like the importance of good story in any medium is finally making a comeback in all fields, like Half Life 2 and Ratatouille.

Friendship between essential programs (especially within the CS3 suite) is improving.

The possibilities of not-made-for-kid full cg features opened up by Beowulf.

The Pixar short "Your Friend the Rat" re-embraces the integration of multimedia animation at the feature film level.

The massive amounts of learn at home tutorial action offered by people at Digital Tutors and Gnomon.

Aardmans "The Pierce Sisters", Crysis, the comeback of Futurama, South Park finally calling out Family Guy for what it really is, Surfs Up, and Wacom catering to all levels with a full product line.

GKDantas
11-28-2007, 02:28 PM
movies:

Spiderman 3
Pirates of the Caribbean - At the ends world

cg movies:
TMNT return
Ratatouille

Software surprise:

Carrara 6 Pro with dynamic hair system
Vue 6 with your new spectral clouds and Ecosystem
ZBrush 3.1

DDS
11-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Zbrush 3 - Revolution of the digital sculpting technique.

Beowulf - Best realistic feature film, ever done.

Crysis - Best realistic game ever done. First one using Directx 10 extensively.

Autodesk aquires skymatter - What new business plan is Autodesk planning with Mudbox?

Transformers - Probably most complex CG integration of the year.

JLLilley
11-28-2007, 07:02 PM
I would definitely have to go with.

Adobe CS3, Specifically the addtion of 3D abilities to Photoshop
Beowulf - as far as realism goes with CG human animation this is a huge step forward for CG Photoreal film making
DX10 - More specifically the new API upgrades of D3D10 (Where is the new OpenGL dangit)
Autodesk acquiring Mudbox - Hmmm intriguing
Pixologics Zbrush 3.1 update to 3.0
Downloadable arcade style content growth for the console systems. (old is now new again sweet)
Short film "The Plush Life" http://www.nvidia.com/object/gz_plush_life.html
Transformers - raising the bar in CG effects and detail.

j83
11-29-2007, 04:39 AM
Ratatouille
Call of Duty 4
Zbrush 3
Mudbox Aquired
Quad-Core cheap
Nvidia cheap 8800gt

:)

RokieTheJawa
11-29-2007, 06:45 AM
all new blender projects like Apricot Open Game Project, Peach Open Movie or simply the opening of the new Blender Institute, which involves all those projects which we hope to see them soon

ArYeS
11-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Zbrush 3
Crysis
Transformers

I think these are the most recognizable...

Gephoria
11-29-2007, 08:13 PM
i'm not sure if this was mentioned but ViZoo

http://www.vizoo.com/main.html

3d Holographic projector hardware, used in fashion shows, and other events, and even certain stores own these projectors to attract the eyes of people to their pretty displays.

This WOW'd me this quarter, thinking what will games of the future be like with this new hardware technology,

JDex
11-30-2007, 02:13 AM
Ratatouille - The very best from the very best.

Beowulf - Awe inspiring achievement.

Battlestar Galactica s03e04 - Exodus, Part 2 - The pair of vfx sequence that set the bar for excitement on the television.

The Red Camera - The soon-to-be-released 500 cameras will change the way VFX integration is done.

3D Theaters - Ruining the experience or the inevitable evolution.

Autodesk Mudbox - More innovation swallowed up by the ever-expanding behemoth.

Bioware/Pandemic --> EA - More innovation swallowed up by the ever-expanding behemoth. Deja Vu?

I may come up with some more.

Edit: I did

Bungie <-- Microsoft - Breaking free of the behemoth.

Blender - Coming into it's own.

Vista - FTW?

NunoNisa
11-30-2007, 06:44 PM
? 300 Budget was 60 million dollars, which is a lot. Not so much as other heavy VFX movies true, but its a lot none than less

300 has over 1500 VFX shots distributed by 13 different major VFX houses... A feature film that has this number of VFX done with high-end companies and in it's global costs 60million dollars including everything, for what concerns to CGI, it's an extremely low-budget feature film...

Matias
11-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Ratatouille
Transformers
Maya Max 2008
ZBrush 3.1

my short http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ypHHYxVGcI