04-16-2003, 07:44 AM
http://www.raynavarro.com/shadowerror.jpg

Anyone?

RenderFarmer
04-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Nobody touching this one...........

stunndman
04-16-2003, 10:05 AM
it's hard to guess what is error and what isn't in your picture - maybe explain your problem a little bit

RenderFarmer
04-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Those little rectangular shadows. I f I turn off raytracing for the light that creates the shadow for the bar restraining the guy they go away.

stunndman
04-16-2003, 05:39 PM
mental ray or maya renderer ?

what happens with the erroneous shadows if you hide the bar and keep raytraced shadows turned on ? basically the shadow cast by the bar looks fine to me

maybe there is some other shadow casting geometry that you aren't aware of

how about depth map shadows ? - same erroneous result ?

finding this kind of errors relies mainly on reducing the number of possible causes

mental
04-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Lestat, these folks are willing to help but you need to give them alot more information if you expect to get any answers.

they're not psychic. :)

so explain your setup from the bottom up.

-mental :surprised

RenderFarmer
04-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Sorry for not explaining better. I guess the weirdest thing about this was that it rendered fine at school. When I took the file home it started doing this. I have to run but I'll post a detailed description of the lighting setup tonight. Thanks guys

Carina
04-28-2003, 02:14 PM
I can't actually see the picture, maybe it's our ars* firewall here at work..

It sounds like a problem I had the other day which I never actually figure out what it was because of.

I got completely black faces in places where it should've toned out smoothly, I traced it to the translucency node. If i disconnected this from my material it worked fine. Of course there was a reason as to why I put the translucency node there from the start and I would like to keep that node in the network and still get un-buggered shadows.

Maybe I have missed something completely obvious though, or it might be a known problem with a simple solution.

I tried rendering it with both mental ray (no fg or gi) and maya's renderer, just a single light in the scene, same result with both.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.