PDA

View Full Version : Light linking and reference objects

magilla
04-16-2003, 05:49 AM
I have a scene that has a set as a reference object. Each shot has a light ing setup that is light linked to the characters and the set.

The problem is - changes had to be made to the set and now the reference is screwy. If I "replace reference" the set is still messed-up, however if I "remove reference" and bring in the set again (this is the same file) it corrects itself. This action breaks the light links though.

I've pinned it down to the light-links that are causing the screwiness. The objects are all the same as the original set file they have just been grouped differently and some have been duplicated.

Does anyone have a way to transfer light links from one file to another?

--magilla:annoyed:

rollmops
04-16-2003, 10:57 AM
For a small Amond of lights only!
In a scene where your linking still works.

1) select one light
2) menu "lighting/shading" > select object illuminated by light.
3) in the script editor, type: ls -sl
then save that list in a document.txt with the name of the light.

In the screwed scene
1) script edidtor
select -cl;
select (the list of objects);
select -tgl the light;
MakeLightLinks;

I Hope someone have a easier solution than I.;)

magilla
04-17-2003, 05:59 AM
I started using this - but gave up - I have about 50 lights in each shot - I went back to the original set reference and then added the extra stuff as a new reference. The other problem was that the light linking wasn't constant in each shot....

thanks anyway, it'll come in handy in the future.

--magilla

beaker
04-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Do you have the lights in your reference files? This will cause problems, especially with linking. Export your light rig out of the reference files and import them into the master scene.

magilla
04-28-2003, 01:05 AM
no, the lights are imported into each shot...

--magilla

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.