PDA

View Full Version : Working on the reel

slueb
11-20-2007, 05:43 PM
This past weekend I was able to put together a rough edit of my reel. I know it's a little long right now (about 2 min 30 sec) I've been told to keep it around 1 min 30.

I'm going to be applying for modeling jobs primarily, I would eventually like to work as a character modeler, though I realize its not typically a job for a junior artists as myself.

It should be completed in the next week or so, so I can apply for jobs/internships. (I'll be graduating in March)

Take a look:

HighRes (http://www.slueb.com/video/reel.mov) [50mb]

LowRes (http://www.slueb.com/video/reel2.mov) [20mb]

I'm working on an actual ending that will involve some figure drawing, and it still needs type work.

Other than that I'm looking for input::
Is there a proper speed for a turn around?
If I am showing different versions of the model(high poly, low poly) do they each need a full rotation?
As a student, how are work in progress projects perceived on a reel?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

------EDIT-12/2/2007------
I pulled the rough edit reels from my server,
if you'd like to see them for some reason, shoot me an email.

Gaboon
11-20-2007, 06:21 PM
"website not found"

Gephoria
11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
404 error :/

TheNeverman
11-20-2007, 07:14 PM
check your links...

slueb
11-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Ok its better now, my bad.

mcernusca
11-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Looking really good slueb.

A few things I would suggest:

- Shorten out the animation and cut to the model turn arounds a little quicker since you are applying as a modeller.

- Maybe start or end the animation portion with a breakdown of the shot.

- The vehicle turn arounds need to be cut down, maybe skip the high rez or find a creative way to show everything faster (perhaps all 3 on the screen after the first turn? or have it turn to low poly after only half the rotation instead of waiting for a full rotation.)

Great work on the models and presentation. Just tighten it up a bit.

Ghostscape
11-20-2007, 11:16 PM
The high reel seemed to stop before it was finished on my machine? It just ended suddenly in the middle of more dodgeball.

Everything is very clean and cartoony - you might want to try to push beyond that and make some stuff that looks more realistic to show that you can.

You spent way too much time slowly rotating around the two guys, and there is only so much man-ass and junk I can stand to look at. It drew notice from the guys in the office, too.

The vehicle was horribly unoptimized - you've got multiple vertical slices on each of those cylinders along the top, and similar waste throughout. if it doesn't affect the silohoutte or deformation it does not belong.

you say you're a rigger - what did you rig? the video doesn't tell me, and it doesn't show off any complex rigging that I saw. Then again, I'm a modeler, but I wasn't noticing awesome fatguy manteat jiggle or anything.

The cardboard boxes - they were a flat color, with a specular that occassionally flashed weirdly on the tape. Show me more, make them interesting, or don't show them. If you're putting mundane shit in your portfolio, it had better be the most visually interesting box or barrel or whatever in the world. Honestly, for a box like that, I wouldn't bother chamfering the edges to give it really nice normals - it doesn't show. It's kind of wasteful. Especially when there is no texture to show off.

The characters were okay, but they were too clean and flat to be realistic, but not cartoony enough or characterful enough to really sell them as cartoons.

In general, the whole reel feels a bit slow. If there isn't any texture detail on the dodgeball guys, I don't need to slowly rotate around them 5 times.

It's not a terrible reel but it isn't very impressive, either.

Gaboon
11-21-2007, 01:08 AM
I have to agree with most of what Ghostscape says.

In general, it seems that most ppl coming out of school have a lot of dumpy cartoony characters or what not. I never understood why.

The most impressive thing you can show is realism, whether its characters, environments, whatever. The majority of artists that can produce convincing realism can easily pull back into stylized. It is just about working within parameters that the style pre-defines rather than what life and nature pre-defines. But it does not go the other way. My advise is go 90-100% realism on a reel. If that is good, then an art test will prove to the employer whether you can work in a set style. Good luck.

UberLuber
11-24-2007, 01:03 AM
I agree with mcernusca, in that your basic stuff is good, just tweak it to present it better, like he said. I especially like the mechanical uniqueness of the vehicle, never seen anything quite like it. Tightening up and throwing more images at the screen faster will make it more exciting. I don't necessarily agree that more or less realism is a big issue. This is video gaming, not art. Lots of games look realistic and play like crap. Pacman was as simple as it got and made some people very rich.

And if it were art, it would be given subjective criticism. Someone would always hate it, someone would always love it, and the people in the middle wouldn't care. There's a lot of so-called art out there. Keep developing what you like the way you like it and eventually someone will catch on, especially if it's different, fresh, or connects somehow.

ashleysparling
11-25-2007, 01:32 PM
hay looking nnice I would say thow the characters are very shine. u need to tern down the specualr levil. keep up the gd work.

slueb
12-02-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm not sure if I made this clear before, this is a WIP reel. I'm still in school and needed to put something together because I am searching for an Internship.

that being said... I have Finished! take a look...

HighRes 32MB (http://www.slueb.com/video/reel2007.mov)
LowRes 13MB (http://www.slueb.com/video/reel2007low.mov)
or access it from my site here (http://www.slueb.com)

I appreciate all the comments/critiques on the work. They will be very helpful when working on future projects.

Ghostscape and Gaboon:
I totally agree that realism should be the focus of a modeling reel (especially for a game artist)... I've added some older work that is not game related, but should help reinforce that realism is something I strive for when modeling. Unfortunately I won't be coming back to any of the projects on this reel (unless it said WIP) but I will make sure to push for that realism in future models.

I also sped up the turnarounds so you only have to look at about half as much "man-ass and junk"

Thanks again, everyone, for your comments, they definitely helped with the final edit.

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2007, 08:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.