PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 4: cbadger85 : The Legend of Sleepy Hollow: The Headless Horseman

cbadger85
04-16-2003, 03:45 AM
Hello all,
This is my first post here, yay! I really like the idea of this comp so I decided I would try my hand, er, mouse at it. I was looking through that website SouL provided trying to find a fairy tale I liked that had not been taken already. Guess that's what I get for starting late. Oh well. I decided I would try the Headless Horseman. He's already pretty twisted, I mean, come on, he carrys around a pumpkin for a head.
Anyways I am on spring break so I will have plenty of time to work on it. I haven't done any concept art yet but I will get that done tomorrow. I pretty much have a good idea of what I want to do. In my spare time today I was able to model the horse.

C&C appreciated.

http://www.redrival.com/cbadger/horse01.jpg

Wacksarn
04-16-2003, 09:22 AM
One main observation....was the Headless Horseman not already quite evil, or at the very least a tad naughty?

This effectively means you will be making an evil version of an already somewhat evil character (assuming you are aiming for an entry in competition 4). Double evil perhaps....

Like the work on the horse so far though (I recently had cause to Low Poly a horse and found it quite a challenge).

Without a texture the only real comment I can make is regarding the tail length, it may need to be little longer IMO.

DaKrunch
04-16-2003, 11:13 AM
maybe a twisted version of something already evil is...

something good!

a paladin without head!

david
04-16-2003, 12:25 PM
yes or something really cute, like a headless teddybear riding a bunny... Em... or something along that line :)

cbadger85
04-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Hmm, I see what you mean.
I like your idea Da Krunch, by twisted it does't have to be something good into evil, but it could be something evil into good? lol I could have some fun with that. Instead of a terrible pumpkin head he could carry around a smiley face. And instead of riding a terrible stead he could ride a prancing pony.
thanks for the feed back, I have some brain storming to do.

Wacksarn: Thanks for the tip about the tail. I probably won't be texturing till next week becuase I want to get all the modeling done so I know how to lay out the texture sheet.

ninja noodle
04-17-2003, 02:49 AM
tell you what would be evil but hilarious! a merry go round horse! they've always made me *hit myself! they're evil i tell you evil!!! i think it's the way they're painted! mad psychodelic colours! and the shininess to them! and the way they have they're mouths open like they're ready to chew on your head if you turn your head away! :surprised

cbadger85
04-17-2003, 01:33 PM
yeah I was totally thinking about making the horse a merry-go-round pony. and I think I will make the headless rider a child, cause that would be really creepy. He wouldn't be evil, he would just be creepy. What do you think, a headless child riding a merry-go-round pony? twisted enough?

small update on the horse
http://www.redrival.com/cbadger/horse02.jpg

ElysiumGX
04-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Give the horse a pumpkin head and the rider a horse head. Even if it doesn't follow the comp rules...it's still pretty damn funny.:rolleyes:

cbadger85
04-17-2003, 07:54 PM
I did decide on the merry-go-round pony look, so I edited the mesh a little, I also added a saddle. My budget for the horse was 1000 polys, and it comes in so far at 918, so I have a few to play with. I will probably add more detail to the face, or save them for the horseman.

http://www.redrival.com/cbadger/horse03.jpg

cbadger85
04-17-2003, 09:52 PM
since I decided to go with merry-go-round look, I was wondering, should it be a unicorn? What do you think, unicorn, yes, no?

david
04-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Personally I never heard of a unicorn on a merry-go-round.

And one other thing, you really made an indistinguishable horse, no doubt about it, but its more of a pack mule then a graceful horse. Also the tail looks to big. Could you post a wireframe shot?

cbadger85
04-18-2003, 02:38 AM
you've never heard of unicorns on a merry-go-round? I have seen all kinds of goofy things on merry-go-rounds, like ostriches, lions, dragons, sea horses, and yes, unicorns. I wasn't really going for a graceful horse look, more of a prancing pony. and I think pack mules have shorter snouts, longer ears, and longer, thiner tails. I do agree, the tail is too long, but I didn't fix it before I made this wire.

wireframe:

http://www.redrival.com/cbadger/horsewire01.jpg

BiTMAP
04-18-2003, 05:59 AM
lol this is going to be awesome, a headless child would be just... well very very creapy ;) And then that childs giggle from out of nowere, in blackness, and this thing prances silently in slightly floating above the ground
man that would just creap me out :D

SecretAgent
04-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Ha, ha, that is a creepy idea!:scream:

One thing I think you should add to the horse is the stripped poll that sticks through the all the Merry-go-round critters -

great idea, keep up the good work:buttrock:

Hamsterhead
04-18-2003, 11:38 AM
Im not sure what all the ideas are but dya mean to tell me

a horse (real) that has had a pole stuck through it by a headless child?!?!?!

That is sweet. I've probably got the wrong idea but still, Cant wat to see the outcome:bounce:

cbadger85
04-20-2003, 05:57 PM
This is just to let you know that I haven'f forgotten about the project. I am currently taking break from the horse and working on the boy. I'll post pics as soon as I am satisfied enough with him.

Eric22: I actually played with the idea of the pole in it's back, but I couldn't get it to look right. Maybe when I go back to working on the horse I will try agian.

Hamsterhead: lol no, the horse isn't going to be real, it is going to be like a merry-go-round horsey, with all kinds of fanciful decortations and the like.

I was thinking agian, and in the original story, the headless horseman's head looked like a pumpkin. I'm not sure I really want to do this, instead I was thinking maybe have the kid carry around his actual head by his hair or something, cause his actual his hair would be in a pony tail sorta thing. I thought this would look better, but I don't know.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.