PDA

View Full Version : How to use Mia_roundcorners? (tried searching)

RMutt
11-19-2007, 05:26 PM
I can't figure this thing out and getting reallllllllllly frustrated.

Does it need to replace the bump2d node after misss_set_normals?
Does it need to replace the bump image file after bump2d node?
I saw one person map their mia_matieral to the bump slot of mia_roundcorner. Yes/No?
Someone please help or just post a diagram of the proper node connection please.

Trying to add roundcorners to this box...the edges are way too sharp. Although I could just bevel the edges, I'd rather prefer to avoid extra geometry, plus I need to learn how to do this.

Sphere♥
11-19-2007, 05:57 PM
You just plug roundcorners into mia_material's bump slot directly and set the radius.

Roundcorners is just a normal modifier, it will not modify geometry, think of it as a tool to "slightly" bevel corners to give the illusion of fine bevelling with lighting. Your example shows mostly sharp, infinitely thin polys, bevelling cannot address this let alone the roundcorners normal modifier.

Actually the documentation explains roundcorners quite clearly... check it out.

Here is an old mia + roundcorners test I did (extruded faces cube, low poly count, no bevelling):
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3086/miaroundedglossdg1.jpg

RMutt
11-19-2007, 07:51 PM
double post...grr.:D

RMutt
11-19-2007, 07:52 PM
You just plug roundcorners into mia_material's bump slot directly and set the radius.

Roundcorners is just a normal modifier, it will not modify geometry, think of it as a tool to "slightly" bevel corners to give the illusion of fine bevelling with lighting. Your example shows mostly sharp, infinitely thin polys, bevelling cannot address this let alone the roundcorners normal modifier.

Actually the documentation explains roundcorners quite clearly... check it out.

Here is an old mia + roundcorners test I did (extruded faces cube, low poly count, no bevelling):
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3086/miaroundedglossdg1.jpg

Thanks. I checked the documentation and they did explicitly say the bump slot, but I found this hard to believe. Usually, things aren't so point and click in mental ray. For instance, I know to place a bump map on an mia_material you have to add misss_set_normals --->bump2d --->file texture.

How would you recommend changing my geometry to suit rouncorners then? Extrude the box to create some thickness?

PolygonGoon
11-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Yea you ned to give your box some thickness, then it will work.

Pickman
08-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Hello guys, was just following this thread. Just wondering if mia round corners plus a custom normal map can both be plugged at the same time in mental ray bump slot ?
Is it in a different slot ?

THX a lot

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2008, 12:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.