PDA

View Full Version : Armour and GUI

fatsumo
11-19-2007, 04:22 PM
what would be the best way to add armour to a rig?
Seen the rivet script on highend?
any ideas on this?

Also as a side note, any good tutorials on creating GUI for a
face rig?

anthonymcgrath
11-24-2007, 09:14 PM
any ideas on this?

face rig?

hiya
it depends on the armour shape but lets say you've created a kind of body jacket - two parts, one covers the chest, stomach and then straps work their way around the sides and a plate covers the back and spine.
you could create some grouped locators:

-create locator on global zero and group it immediately.

-move the grp node for the locator into position starting at one of the clavicle joints. Position it so it sits at the end of the clavicle or a position where you feel the body armour would be linked up.

-parent it to the clavicle bone

-Do the same for the other clavicle.

-now create two more grouped locator setups and parent them under a lower spine joint which might be just above the hips or pants of the character.

-You could then constrain the armour to the locators (NOT the group nodes) using point constraint - the armour plate should try to orient itself to the 4 locators motion from the character.

you may want some dynamic jiggle on the armour as the character runs? well heres where the group nodes help... you could create spring setups between a locator and its parent group node.

another slightly less painful method may be to create a low poly mesh of the chest (very low)
-skin low poly mesh to the joints.
-now use the RIVET script and create locators on each corner.
-now constrain the armour to the rivets :)
-nice thing about this is as the body bends the low poly mesh will do the same and the armour should adjust its averaged position from the 4 locators to suit.
-you could then add some jiggle to the low poly mesh and paint some weighting for the jiggle.

also worth doing a very quick run animation for the character using simple fk joint rotations. I key all my controls for the character at frame or minus 50 I then pose the first pose for my run animation at frame 1 and animate the run cycle from there (say to frame 32). Now my character will go from bindpose to the start of the run cycle in 50 frames. This allows any jiggle to settle into position on the character.
If you key'd the controls for bindpose at frame zero then posed him at frame1 you'd find that any jiggle or spring constraints would go bonkers as they tried to work out what happened to the joint motion from frame zero to 1 lol!!

just thinkin on me feet here mate... passes the time lol! hope it helps or gives you some thoughts on other methods :)

BoostAbuse
11-29-2007, 02:31 PM
any ideas on this?

face rig?

Depends on the armour, if it's loose platemail I'd almost vote entirely for a RBD system (Rigid Body Dynamics) using constraints to get the right bounce, feel and collision from the armor :) You could also use constraints which would provide you with easy offset abilities too, skinning would be my last choice for doing armour work but that's just user preference!

-s

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2007, 02:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.