PDA

View Full Version : First time modeling a weapon, critiques needed,

j83
11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Working on this. Only worked one day on this model. Not sure if I should have just done a high-poly first. Currently about 1580 or so polygons. Trying to figure out how to effectively unwrap this model. I already unwrapped it, but am unhappy with the UV layout and distribution, so I'll just do it again. :)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/Spoudazo/glockprogress.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/Spoudazo/glockPEmd-1.jpg

j83
11-19-2007, 07:09 PM
What's wrong, is it too bad for comments. :p

Dragoonmind
11-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Well it looks okay so far

I think the thing you hold in the hand is ... well way to wide. I think it could be you wish and is a charakteristik of the weapon.

But i dont like it... sorry
The rendering looks incredible great but the "handhold" makes the weapon look not authentik. Not real.

But like you sad you have not worked that much on it. So work a bit more on it if you like and im sure it will be great

Swizzle
11-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Nah, it's not bad. You have to realize that sometimes people are extremely slow to respond or make comments here because they sometimes don't know what to say or just don't want to bother saying anything.

I'm no expert at weapon modeling, but I'd say that this could do with some optimization. You have lots of edges that aren't really doing anything for the silhouette of the thing and there are a few areas with detail that's completely unnecessary.

Some areas you might try to improve:

-The trigger—has way too many loops with no noticeable affect on the silhouette. You could get away with just two or three cuts in there and nobody would notice when it was textured because, let's face it, nobody's going to be paying attention to the trigger.
-The indentation just above the trigger on the main body—you could get away with just modeling an indentation and then leaving the smaller details for a normal map.
-The grip and magazine—they're both way too heavy for how much they'd be seen. Even if this was a hero prop that was going to be seen close up, you still wouldn't necessarily need that many cuts to get acceptable detail. You could also smooth out the finger grooves with a normal map if you felt like it.

It's looking good, even with some areas that need improvement. Keep at it and I'm sure it'll turn out very nice.

j83
11-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks, it's modelled after this gun, hence the extra "grip" on it (hence the large looking handle).
:)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/Spoudazo/glock27.jpg

Will keep working at it. :)

Geta-Ve
11-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Pretty much everything Swizzle has stated is on the button. I would add a few other areas such as the barrel, definitely doesn't need to be that detailed, and pretty much most of the corners and edges you could clean up. Would love to get my hands on the model to see what I could do in terms of optimizations.

Funny enough that is one of my favorite things to do is optomize meshes. :P

kromano
11-20-2007, 05:24 PM
One thing I notice that makes the grip look too bulky is that on your model compared to the reference, the second grip cover extends much further out from the magazine (clip, ammo, whatever you want to call it) on the back. This makes the handle look almost square, just as far back as it is tall. It looks uncomfortable to hold.

I'm a little biased against Glocks in terms of appearance to begin with, but your model is still looking pretty good. I agree with Swizzle in that a lot of your details can be left for texture work to save a large number of polygons.

The number of lines on the bottom of the handle confuses me a little... I can't make out the details very well, is the magazine removeable from the gun? If it is, then that area is probably fine. If it is not, there seems to be a large number of confusing and overlapping polygons that could be cleaned up.

Overall it's a great start that could do with a little cleaning up. Keep working on it!

j83
11-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks. :)

Good point, the handle/grip does need work, as it's sticking out too far. Thanks ;)

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2007, 08:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.