PDA

View Full Version : a VFS VFX Reel by Helgi H. Oskarsson

Helgi
11-19-2007, 01:21 AM
Hello everyone,

My name is Helgi H. Oskarsson and I'm a recent Vancouver Film School graduate and this is my Visual Effects Reel. I did this over a period of 6 months and I worked closely with three sound design students to try to get the most impact out of my reel with the sound effects. I'm currently looking for a job and I'm willing to relocate.

Feel free to contact me at 3d65helgi@vfs.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/3d65helgi@vfs.com) for any inquiries.

High Res. Downloads

Mirror 1 (H264, 58MB) (http://helgioskarsson.com/portfolio_images/Helgi_H264_Nov15.mp4) (to save, right click & save as)
Mirror 2 (H264, 58MB) (http://student.vfs.com/~3d65helgi/Helgi_H264.mp4) (to save, right click & save as)

Low Res. Downloads

Mirror 1 (Sorenson3, 45MB (http://helgioskarsson.com/portfolio_images/Helgi_MPG4_40%25.mov)) (http://helgioskarsson.com/portfolio_images/Helgi_MPG4_40%25.mov) (to save, right click & save as)
Mirror 2 (Sorenson3, 45MB) (http://student.vfs.com/~3d65helgi/Helgi_MPG4.mp4) (to save, right click & save as)

More information on my website www.helgioskarsson.com (http://www.helgioskarsson.com)

http://www.helgioskarsson.com/images/reel_frame01.jpg

http://www.helgioskarsson.com/images/reel_frame02.jpg

ANasir
11-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Wow Helgi... I hadn't seen your reel since the initial addition of Ryan's scenes in the cockpit about a month ago, and it's simply amazing what you've done with it. That moment of silence pre-crash ... stunning piece already without the additional impact from the sound design. Congrats on a vfx piece with both emotional and visual appeal.

ragdoll
11-19-2007, 02:37 AM
nice!
but you know, the pilot could've ejected instead of just going down with the plane... :)
would've been some nice touches if you did... gj all in all :thumbsup:

Obaid3DFX
11-19-2007, 05:04 AM
very nice...

the only thing is the composition and color correction of the 3D elements. need more tweaking
but overall well done

cheer
:thumbsup:

ATARAXIAN
11-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Great Reel, Helgi!! The visuals and the audio are mindblowing. All your hard work really paid off. Been a real pleasure working with you this year and wish you well in all your endeavours. Good Luck!

Godspeed

Ari

enochian
11-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Great reel man, you did a really good job on everything.

Good luck on the jobhunt.

Helgi
11-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Aishath: Thank you so much for the kind words. Yeah I'm really glad that Al pushed me to do the pilot shot and I was blown away with the sound effects that the guys did.

Ragdoll: Thanks man, I appreciate it, but yeah I had some footage of him, the pilot, trying to get canopy open but it just didn't look right. Maybe on my next reel ;)

Alom: Thank you very much. What in particular needs the most work in your oppinion? All the 3d elements?

Ataraxian: Thanks man for the kind words. Yeah this year has been a wonderful experience and also has been a pleasure working alongside you.

But thanks everybody for the kind words and don't hesitate to give me any crits, that's what we're all here for :)

seba108
11-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Good job Helgi! I don't think you will have any problems to find a job that you like.
Plug this, CGtalk!

-Seba

Loukor
11-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Awesome job Helgi, I was blown away by your progress over the year and and before it was great with no sound but now with the sound.. it's a whole new level! :D. Goodluck and it's been a pleasure to have met you.

samsonwong
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Helgi~ That's amazing!
Your reel looks really great. You r the man!
It is a whole new level of visual and sound experiences!

It's been so lucky to know you in the school and thanks for all the help thru this year.
Good luck buddy!

Sam

keomega
11-19-2007, 04:07 PM
iceman! frontpage quality buddy.........nice to see the sound at the same lvl of the vfx, and yeah the pilot shot is an awsome addition and pulls it together...ill see u around until the end of the year and hope to run into u in the field after that, happy huntings

dutchman

KrisSeli
11-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Helgi, it gave me shivers! :) Very well done.

Jermination
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Helgi, that gave me goose bumps, hah

I freeken love the new audio, makes the piece 10 times beter !
Your really tallented man, youll have no prolblem finding a job, Congrats !

alejandrocordero
11-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Great job man, youŽll find a job soon my friend.

Good luck.

Helgi
11-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Thank you all so much for those kind words, it means a lot.

Seba: Thank you very much man, I appreciate it. How are you doing? You're work is amazing btw!

kdkaos: Thank you so much Lulu, I was also blown away by your progress over the year. You did such a good job and deserved that Scholarship. It sure has been a great year and I'm glad I met all of you.

Samson: Thank you so, so much buddy, means a lot. You're work is absolutely amazing and you did definitely rais the bar up in the class. It's been a wonderful year and I'll see you soon, you're coming home for grad right?

Keomega: Thanks buddy, I don't know about the front page quality but thanks :) Yeah I was very happy with how the sound turned out, those guys downstairs are mixing it in 5.1 soon so that will be a great add-on. And yes, we'll definitely see each other soon in the field.

KrisSeli: Thank you Kristen :) You're animation is also... just beautiful, we're going to see the final piece on our grad right?

Jermination: Thank you very much buddy, I hope we all find a job soon. But you are very, very talented and you've been a great inspiration throughout this year. Keep it up and stay in touch :)

Alex: Thank you very much my friend, you should post your reel online today, I promise people will love that :)

zres
11-20-2007, 03:03 AM
wow,.. it was superb dude.. !!
I want to ask some question, how long does it takes to render a beautifull scene like that ?

diginime
11-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey Helgi !! it has been a nice year to work with you this year. And you've done a great job in your demo reel! good luck !

enochian
11-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Your reel is turned out really awsome man, you deffantly raised the the bar wit your reel. It has been great working with you and I hope that we will be working with each other more in the future.

Ryan

alanSmithee
11-21-2007, 03:38 AM
helgi,

damn good job, man. that "oh my god" and the crash at the end are stellar.

wish i could be there for your grad. drink a beer for me.

-j

Helgi
11-21-2007, 03:50 AM
zres: Thank you very much for the kind words, but it took like a 3-4 days for just the renders and then like 2-3 weeks of just comp. work and tweaks for the first shot.

diginime: Thanks man, yeah it's been a great year and great to be able to work with you. Take care man and good luck yourself on the job hunt. :)

enochian: Thank you very much buddy, appreciate it. I don't know if I raised the bar but I think our VFX class did. I'm certain that we'll be working together soon ;)

alanSmithee: Thanks buddy, yeah the sound guys sure did a good job on that but I'm glad that I decided to put that in there. But I'll drink a beer for sure... maybe even two.

xujie128
11-21-2007, 05:35 AM
oh,so nice effect,i'am very like:thumbsup: congratulation!!!Wish you find a perfect job^_^

scottchen23
11-21-2007, 05:35 PM
wow your reel is awsome man. i really like it alot!! you really did a damn good job man

BelieverDeceiver
11-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Helgi!! Well done sir well done. As big Jason already said.... wish I was there for your grad drink one for me as well. Best of luck with the job man and get your ass to LA!!! Ill be in touch soon Ive just been retarded busy with work.

nikkons
11-22-2007, 03:20 PM
indeed i like the Vfx alot, just the matte painting (black house on the back) wanst according to the high LvL Fx i saw in your reel. But what really stand out is the Composition of the Crash itself ! ( mind blowing )

5 starts! keep showing your amazing skills.!

chindian
11-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Hey Helgi...
Dude - the new sound just sent chills down my spine man! Awesome job!

The effects look stellar man! Can't wait to see it on the big screen at your grad tomorrow!

All the best in the industry and future... I know you'll do well.

Take it easy,
-T

Helgi
11-22-2007, 11:46 PM
xujie128: Thank you very much man, yeah I hope I can find a good job :)

scottchen23: Thank you very much Scott, I am a big fan of you work btw and I loved your reel.

nosaj: Thanks a lot buddy, appreciate it and the all help. I'll definitely drink a beer or two for you on the grad, and I'm trying to get something down in LA but we'll see how that goes. I'll be in touch soon, take it easy buddy.

nikkons: Thank you very much for the kind words, but what matte painting are you talking about? The one in the crash shot? I'll try to take a look at that but thanks again for the reply.

Chindian: Hey Thad, thanks a lot for the kind words, appreciate it. But my grad is next week, on the 30th :) But good luck on your reel, your stuff is amazing and I can't wait to see it finished. Take care buddy.

Thanks everybody for all the good replies and please keep them coming, I appreciate all the help and comments to try to improve my work. Cheers everybody :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2007, 11:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.