PDA

View Full Version : character setup question

polymer
04-15-2003, 09:34 PM
First-timer on this forum.
I have a VERY basic knowledge of Maya and character setup. I don't know most of the "rules to remember" when building a character. I have a few questions that I haven't been able to get answers.

1.Why, when building a character, is it important to have the arms and legs outstretch?

2.Are there disadvantages when using painting weights on characters? Can you use paint weights on NURBS?

3.Any advice or how-tos on tapering edges on an object such as a cube?

Thanks!

nemirc
04-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by polymer
First-timer on this forum.
I have a VERY basic knowledge of Maya and character setup. I don't know most of the "rules to remember" when building a character. I have a few questions that I haven't been able to get answers.

1.Why, when building a character, is it important to have the arms and legs outstretch?

2.Are there disadvantages when using painting weights on characters? Can you use paint weights on NURBS?

3.Any advice or how-tos on tapering edges on an object such as a cube?

Thanks!

1. Because it's easier to setup bones and paint weights if the character is in that position.

2. Yes you can.

3. I didn't get that one :lightbulb

robertp
04-16-2003, 01:55 AM
You can build a model anyway you want. But when it comes to setting it up you will find it easier to have points far enough away from each other as to not to bind something to the wrong bone.

In Maya you can paint on anything.

to Bevel an edge in Maya just select an edge or edges you want beveled and then goto Edit Polygon-Bevel. There is a box next to it so you can enter specific info on how big you want the bevel.

Rob:D

dmcgrath
04-16-2003, 09:56 PM
I will chime in here to.

1) Both past answers are perfect.

2) Yes there are disadvantages on painting weights. If your video card doesn't support a fast refresh rate for this (geForce mostly, and many Ati's). Also it can be confusing at first, I recommend painting slowly, by clicking your mouse button. Not painting like a brush stroke, (think of pointilism vs. impasto). Also, the more complex the geometry, the harder it is to follow (that's why I recommend the clicking).

3)As for modeling, I dont recommend the bevel tool. But this is my personal upbringing. It usually creates more geometry than you need, and you'll be better off in the long run if you build in the taper of bevel yourself. But it is a quick fix.

io,
04-17-2003, 07:35 PM
for Q3: yes, dmcgrath is right, bevel tool is not the best option all the time. sometimes, i prefer to use split polygon tool or extrude face if possible.

polymer
04-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Rock'in! :buttrock:
Thanks for clearing that up, guyz! I can see the reason behind that now.
I guess there are times when it's better to make shapes you want yourself rather than using a tool function to do it for you.

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.