PDA

View Full Version : Boboīs Camera Projection tutorial with scanliner/other renderer then krakatoa?

PsychoSilence
11-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Is it possible to render the camera projected particles with the scanliner or any other third party renderer?

im referring to this tutorial:
http://www.franticfilms.com/software/support/krakatoa/camera_mapping_particles_using_dataflow.php

Bobo
11-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Is it possible to render the camera projected particles with the scanliner or any other third party renderer?

im referring to this tutorial:
http://www.franticfilms.com/software/support/krakatoa/camera_mapping_particles_using_dataflow.php

I haven't tried it, but it should work - it is setting the Vertex Color channel of each particle, so adding a Material Dynamic operator with a Standard material using Vertex Color Map in Diffuse Channel and Self-Illum. of 100% should "visualize" that data.

PsychoSilence
11-18-2007, 07:36 PM
thank you very much for the tip, bobo! maybe u saved my a$$ :D

kindest regards,
Anselm

PsychoSilence
11-18-2007, 07:55 PM
tested it but i think i did something wrong :( the vertex color channel is set to 2 but i dont know what im doing wrong :cry::cry:

http://core2core.de/spielwiese/vertex-problem.jpg

Bobo
11-18-2007, 08:14 PM
tested it but i think i did something wrong :( the vertex color channel is set to 2 but i dont know what im doing wrong :cry::cry:

I cannot tell from here (don't have Box #3 at home). There is a slight chance that the Shape operator is killing the channel, try moving it before the Data Operator.

PsychoSilence
11-18-2007, 08:29 PM
tried that...same result :(

i uploaded the maxfiel to my server. maybe u can have a brief look at it tommorow. thanks again in advance.

http://core2core.de/spielwiese/wall_01.zip

Bobo
11-19-2007, 04:54 PM
tried that...same result :(

i uploaded the maxfiel to my server. maybe u can have a brief look at it tommorow. thanks again in advance.

http://core2core.de/spielwiese/wall_01.zip

Just a note that I am sick today and not in the office :(
Will try it when I go back to work...

PsychoSilence
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
no problem, its a personal project of mine :) we have all time in the world! Get well again in the first place!

PsychoSilence
11-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Any new on my issue with the vertex color issue :( ?
thank you in advance.

with kindest regards,
anselm

Bobo
12-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Any new on my issue with the vertex color issue :( ?
thank you in advance.

with kindest regards,
anselm

Sorry for the delay, if you read the CG News you probably know we were a bit stressed lately.

I looked at your scene and your Vertex Color map was set to read channel 2 while the second Data Operator that does the camera projection was set to write to the Vertex Color channel (0). I switched the map to use the Vertex Colors channel and the wall stucco colors appeared on the particles.
Channel 2 is used to store the particle positions, so it caused the particles to turn in shades of red, blue etc. based on their XYZ coordinates ;)

PsychoSilence
12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
hm, didnīt get in which sub-operator :( i thought the mapping input in the top left corner under the camera...iīm with stupid :D

Bobo
12-04-2007, 02:29 PM
hm, didnīt get in which sub-operator :( i thought the mapping input in the top left corner under the camera...iīm with stupid :D

What you highlighted in the flow is the INPUT of the particle position stored by the previous Data Operator (NOT sub-operator) in the flow. It uses channel 2 and it ok as it is.

What you had set wrong was the VERTEX COLOR MAP in the material assigned to your particles. It was ALSO set to Channel 2, which is WRONG because it shows the POSITIONS of the particles as COLORS, resulting in 4 "rectangles" of particles with colors obviously based on their X and Z axes. (see the previous screenshot you sent me).

The Vertex Color Map in the Diffuse channel of the particle material MUST be set to the VERTEX COLOR CHANNEL (in other words, channel 0) because the BOTTOM MOST sub-operator in the screenshot you sent WRITES the camera projected colors into that channel!

So in short:
*Channel 2 is used to STICK the position data from frame 0 to the particles
*Channel 0 (Vertex Color Channel) is used to COLOR the particles.

So open the scene, go to Material Editor, find the material assigned to the particles and switch the Vertex Color Map in the diffuse map slot to Channel 0. Done! :)

entrancea
12-05-2007, 01:12 AM
Hey Bobo,

I was wondering that,If I am rendering a sequence where,there is a car with which the camera moves,then would I have to render the full animation as an open .exr sequence and then assign it as a bitmap sequence on the "$Plane01"?Also If I render a larger image with an aspect ratio of 1.77778 then will it improve my output quality?

Thanks a lot,
Entrancea

PsychoSilence
12-05-2007, 01:37 AM
What you highlighted in the flow is the INPUT of the particle position stored by the previous Data Operator (NOT sub-operator) in the flow. It uses channel 2 and it ok as it is.

What you had set wrong was the VERTEX COLOR MAP in the material assigned to your particles. It was ALSO set to Channel 2, which is WRONG because it shows the POSITIONS of the particles as COLORS, resulting in 4 "rectangles" of particles with colors obviously based on their X and Z axes. (see the previous screenshot you sent me).

The Vertex Color Map in the Diffuse channel of the particle material MUST be set to the VERTEX COLOR CHANNEL (in other words, channel 0) because the BOTTOM MOST sub-operator in the screenshot you sent WRITES the camera projected colors into that channel!

So in short:
*Channel 2 is used to STICK the position data from frame 0 to the particles
*Channel 0 (Vertex Color Channel) is used to COLOR the particles.

So open the scene, go to Material Editor, find the material assigned to the particles and switch the Vertex Color Map in the diffuse map slot to Channel 0. Done! :)
wow, i feel extremly stupid now :D if only thereīd be some more input on box3 around *looking at charley*

Bobo
12-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Hey Bobo,

I was wondering that,If I am rendering a sequence where,there is a car with which the camera moves,then would I have to render the full animation as an open .exr sequence and then assign it as a bitmap sequence on the "$Plane01"?Also If I render a larger image with an aspect ratio of 1.77778 then will it improve my output quality?

Thanks a lot,
Entrancea

Yes, if the projection is changing, you will need a whole animated sequence, one for each frame. (See the rotating mini which used an animated rotating camera to render and then project back the animation).

The aspect of the source plane the Box #3 operator is using to grab the pixel color should match the output aspect (because the particle is calculating its screen coordinates and then wants to "pick up" the color from that same point on the rendered image). The quality depends on the quality of the rendered sequence you are projecting. Each particle will get the color of the texel closest to the sampling point, so the higher the resolution of the projected image, the better. Not sure why the aspect would play any role in the quality...

entrancea
12-05-2007, 06:46 AM
My bad!I meant to say if I increase the resolution then will my quality increase.Actually I was rendering in HD,thats why I mentioned the aspect ratio:D ......

And do I have to modify the script anymore besides specying which aspect ratio and camera I am using?

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2007, 06:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.