PDA

View Full Version : I searched, but nothing seemed helpful to me...

FiniteElement
11-18-2007, 05:22 PM
A repetitive question (I know), but my excuses are in the title...
I'm studying engineering and my brother industrial design. So we're looking for a new PC. The softwares we may use include Solid Works 2008, Catia V5, Rhinoceros and 3ds Max (we won't play state-of-the-art 3d games). According to their system requirements, a micro of at least 2GHz and 1GB RAM does well (we won't make animations nor stunning renders). My problem is the graphics card: Rhino and 3ds max almost demand OpenGL cards, and 3ds max's hardware list confuses me. What do you reccomend? Will a cheap Nvidia geForce6100 work? How do I know that a card is designed for OpenGL? Am I judging well the processor and RAM capacity (would 512MB work as well)? We use Windows XP.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to read!

cooperunionstud
11-18-2007, 05:42 PM
a cheap nvidia will work. just get a regular pc with a decent graphics card and you should be fine. No need to really spend all that money if you are not doing intensive renderings.

Szos
11-18-2007, 08:04 PM
CAD programs actually have a much lower base system requirement than most people think they do.

Depending on your BUDGET, just about any PC will work (obviously that at least meets the software requirements). Definitely nothing less than 2GBs of RAM, and a dual (or quad) core CPU would come in handy. Concerning the graphics card, I would always stick with Nvidia - their drivers are just so much better than anything from ATi. Get a medium or high-end gaming card and you should be totally fine. Even on complex assemblies, a CAD program is going to stress the GPU lots less than most new games. You shouldn't need a ton of RAM because that is mostly used to store textures - mostly a non-issue with CAD. That new Nvidia 8800 (?) card looks to be a beast, I it seems that it is priced VERY aggressively (under $300, I think).

CAD programs tend to be MUCH better optimized than 3D Digital Content Creation programs. Even though they both run in 3D worlds, CAD programs can load up incredably complex models without choking.

Srek
11-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Will a cheap Nvidia geForce6100 work?
It might work but i would say it's borderline. Try to get at least a GeForce 7xxx
Cheers
Björn

RPG2006
11-19-2007, 07:55 AM
That new Nvidia 8800 (?) card looks to be a beast

The 8800 GT:)

RPG

VeryPC
11-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Ummm. No... I'd say you're better buying an entry level certified card, something like a v3600 or v5600 firegl card.
The reason is that Solidworks and the like, generally the processor is the bottlekneck factor, so you're best looking at an AMD or intel c2d chip @3.0GHz (not '3000' 3.0GHz so an x2 6000)
Then get the certified card as there is 'clever' stuff that they do on OGL to get the image nicer (without maxing out your CPU).

We do a 'Designed For' Solidworks range (http://www.very-pc.co.uk/?section=designed-for&subsection=solidworks)that would suit

PanzerMKZ
11-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Got to love it when the ceo comes in to advert products. Hey boss you going to ship to Argentina?

Ok for one why looking for least amount of system? 512 or 1gig of ram is yes a sweet spot in normal usage for XP 32bit. But you will see that getting into the cad and all is going to eat ram. But to get back to my joke at the top of the page let me ask you more what is available in Argentina computer hardware wise. We can say all we want about getting the nasty high dollar stuff but what can you afford there where you are at? Also you have your computer now yes? if so then look at what you need now. You going into swap? Things taking to long? yea it would be great to be able to get a quad core with 4+gig ram. And with a good Pro level card. But some people just can't put nasty amounts of money into a computer.

Panzer

FiniteElement
11-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks very much to all for the responses.
As Szos said, cad softs work quite well in any system. My present pc is a celeron 3GHz 256Mb Ram and handles absolutely without problems AutoCad 2006 and a solid modelling soft called CadMax, but I need a new pc to leave the old in my native city and use the other in the one I'm now. A friend of mine tells me that CATIA works perfect in his 1GB Ram pc, that's why I thought in that capacity. Besides, as a student, the budget suggest (I must pay the rent :D) to attain to that, so I can think in having a dual core micro and a better graphics card. There's no problem on aquiring any hardware I want Panzer (except money), actually with 300/400 dollars you can get what I asked in the first post.
My brother and I will use it for university projects by now. I'm fine with CATIA (mostly for calculi), but my bro will also need Rhino at least.

CGTalk Moderation
11-21-2007, 06:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.