PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing ball with anticipation

kirko
11-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I've been preoccupied with my life and times for a couple years and now want to get back to animation, so I'm redoing my Animation Mentor assignments for classes 1 and 2 (that's as far as I've gotten in AM so far). CGTalk was like my second home back in the heady days of peeps and paella before the AM launch, and now I'm back here with an assignment for critique.

This assignment was for session 5 of the first class--to animate a "squishy" bouncing ball that begins bouncing from a resting position, starting with a squash for anticipation and acting like a realistic ball after takeoff, and then comes to a stop. I'd appreciate any feedback I can get on this. Thanks!

http://www.zshare.net/video/49721068daee26/

Kirk

arrow000
11-18-2007, 08:39 PM
why do you have your anticipation and your first jump in 2 steps? Your anticipation should be faster. Quickly go into squash, hold for a few frames, then go up fast. Maybe have the ball roll slightly to the left with the squash, so we understand why it's going to the right. Also check your curves in the Y axis. The timing doesn't feel right. I think the 3rd bounce is too slow.

Also, pick a more interesting angle and don't show us the ctrls. It really kills suspension of disbelief.

kirko
12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Stephane--really helps break through the cobwebs in my brain. I'll work on this and post a new version in the next day or so. Kirk

kirko
01-02-2008, 02:45 AM
Here at last is my revision on this ball bounce. The feedback I got here was really helpful: I simplified the anticipation, fixed the third bounce, and added a perspective camera angle in addition to the simple side view I had before. I hid some of the controls, but I couldn't remember how to hide them all.

To make the bounce look a little more realistic, I tried adding some variation in the ball rotation, and I also had the ball roll back slightly at the end.

anticipation ball final 03-medium.mov - 0.42MB (http://www.zshare.net/video/609953284c2e62/)

lime324
01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi kirko!
after I saw your shot, it's still a little bit floaty. I notice you make 16frames on 1st jump, 16frames on the 2nd, 14frms on 3rd, 12frms on 4th, 8frms on 5th. Judging from the height of its jump, I think you make too many frames on each jump, thats why it looks floaty, try to down it at least 1/3 from your current timing and don't forget to check the arc and easing. You can also make the ball start rolling from the first jump, if you have a basketball or a soccer ball, go observe how its behave on air when you throw it.

Don't affraid to make it wrong, if it ain't wrong it ain't right! Besides you have a best mentor at AM.

Good luck!
Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.