PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated

alexanimator
11-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Hey all,
This animation still needs work but especially being at the stage it is...this is my best animation I've ever done. At least I think so. So any crits are greatly appreciated.

http://www.hagbros.com/FRUSTRATED_smooth_ren.mov

Two other things that don't necessarily have to do with the animation. I've had the suggestion of adding a frame count to my animations so they are easier to give crits too. What is the best way to do that either through Maya or After Effects.

Secondly, since I am posting 7 different animations that will be edited many times for my reel, is it a better idea to post them all in one thread as I finish them? Or is it better to do what I'm doing now and make a new thread per animation?

As always, thanks in advance for the crits.

KyleG
11-17-2007, 10:53 PM
it feels a little stiff right now, especially at the end right before he screams his entire body is frozen and only his finger curl, there shouldn't be a moment anywhere in your animation where you character is completely frozen like this, also try and get some more curves and arches in your movement, right now everything feels very linear. As for a frame counter, in After Effects select your video in the timeline then click the effect tab/video/timecode. Make sure you set it to frames instead of seconds and set it to 24 frames a second. You can also find plug-ins for maya that will display a frame counter in your window for playblasting.

arrow000
11-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Why is he standing still in the first frame? He should be in a walk cycle. If it helps, start him walking on frame -10 but only start rendering/playblasting at 0.

Look at his left hand in the beginning. It almost moves in a straight line! Very unnatural. It also stays in the same spot for a second. You don't really need to be in IK before the hands are on the door. If you want to stay in IK or if your rig doesn't have FK, be careful.

Watch out for stiff and/or mechanical moves.

Try to push the expressions more. Most of your expressions are pretty bland. Some of them are strong, when he's struggling to pull the door knob. Also when he's angry (although the neck movement is strange).

Good start, keep posting updates.

alexanimator
11-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the crits guys. I see what your saying about the linear...ity in his hand at the beginning. I'm trying to work out all those little bugs, so the crits are very helpful. That's the main issue with my animations is that I don't exxagerate nearly as much as I could.

I fixed the issue of not having a timecode on my animations. So future renders will have frame counters to make it easier to pick apart. Next week, I'll have a revision with your ideas. Thanks again Kyle and arrow.

alexanimator
12-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Well, It's been a little while since I posted this one, but I've made a lot of changes to it. First, i put him in the middle of a walk cycle when the animation starts so he doesn't look stiff and lifeless.

I also tried different things to push his expressions, and one of the things I did, was scrap the second pull of the door. I replaced it with him trying to push it open with his shoulder. This way it seems less staged and calculated. In reality, if pulling didn't work, you'd try to push.

I added much more facial expressions and made sure no part of his body was frozen in time at any point. One critique I got was that when he slips off the door from pulling, we only know he's going to do it because it's logical. So I tried to add him hitting himself in the face with one arm which serves as a waypoint to the rest of the body to follow.

Lastly, after he regains his balance, I tried to add a small head shake to get more of the "gotta get my balance and retry this" kind of pose.

Hopefully these changes turn out to be for the much better.

http://www.hagbros.com/FRUSTRATED_smooth_2.mov

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2007, 11:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.