PDA

View Full Version : N00b grass surface question.

EvilEggPlant
11-16-2007, 10:26 AM
hey guys , its my 1st time to work with textures so i hope u'll be a bit patient with me.
ive modeled a Soccer field and the have 1 plane as grass, but i cant seem to know how to make the texture look convincing from top view and perspective view , and ive got a serious problem with bumpmaps, so i tweak the main texture pic for bumps or repain something new to show the depth of the actual grass?

thanks in advance.

wreath
11-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi, i think you can get better results with displacement maps, you can follow this way (Talking for 3dsmax/vray material & render);

create your grass texture first (color,reflection etc.)
for a volumetric effect put a cellular map in displacement map slot, use small values for circular size, like 0.001 give division colors all black and cell color white,your displacement value can be around 70 (depends on height of the grass) then use a UVW modifier to your plane for arranging the displacement map's coordinates and maybe size, here is my result;

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4007/grassvm8.jpg

I think it's the best way to make a basic grass without any fur option :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2007, 08:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.