PDA

View Full Version : Serbu super-shorty

domain
11-16-2007, 03:47 AM
Hi, I am new here, I am from the cs skinning community of a diferent name, anyone here too? Here it is.. I only textured it, the model is done by someone else Bullitor. It is quite old model, but I just did the texture. Its not done yet, please leave suggestions of colour / damage and other issues. thanks; On 1 512x512

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2950/shortygg1.jpg

Gaboon
11-20-2007, 07:44 PM
There is a texture? It looks just gray. I see the decal. Looks like you are about 10% through the texturing process. Go online and search for used shotguns. There you will get a good reference. Right now it looks untextured.

iSOBigD
11-20-2007, 08:19 PM
There is a texture? It looks just gray. I see the decal. Looks like you are about 10% through the texturing process. Go online and search for used shotguns. There you will get a good reference. Right now it looks untextured.

Hehe, that's exactly what I thought. Slapping a grey texture and text on someone else's model is the easy part...the modeling and mapping is the real work.

domain
12-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Keep in-mind this is for CS.. no fancy alpha, bump, phong, etc etc.. just a diffuse

The pic 100% self illuminated, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Did you think this was really just a grey pic slapped onto the model? Gaboon, I see you have done some good stuff, care to edit my texture to show me approximately how you think it should look? If you mean a textured model is a bunch of scratches everywhere..no; I wanted to keep this clean. Here is an update with colour. Slapping a grey texture and text on someone else's model is the easy part...the modeling and mapping is the real work.
Umm.. texturing this from scratch isn't exactly as easy as you make it sound. Maybe with all the hi-tech rendering stuff these days a detailed hand painted texture isn't really necessary. But this is just a plain and simple diffuse map without anything at all. Not saying modelling/maps are easy, but please get an idea of what you're talking about before saying something stupid. Sorry if I sound like an ass, but it just felt insulting when you people thought I just put text on a grey picture when I spent hours on this. Heres the map just to show;
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3605/wireframecopyrs7.jpg
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2196/shorty2my2.jpg

Auctane
12-04-2007, 06:33 AM
I always like seeing people come here from a gaming community rather than places such as software communitys... Sorry you recieved a rude welcome domain. You have a right to be kinda torqued about that comment. I think its a good texture. If you have a modeling app, you could break the text off and add a couple decals for the text so you dont have the backwards text on the one side.

Anyways, welcome :)

LaughingBun
12-04-2007, 07:29 AM
i made an oops

LaughingBun
12-04-2007, 07:30 AM
i dont really know what everyone is griping about. I think its a good texture not amazing but good. Its a nice clean weapon. a tex like this is really ideal for being normal mapped.

everyone who is complaining would probably be happier if you covered the whole thing in grunge. because apparently that is what a texture has to look like.

antodonnell
12-04-2007, 11:32 AM
It is a well done texture. I also feel people take the grunge thing too far. If you walk into a shop to buy a gun I m sure your not handed a destroyed, filth covered gun. Which may not work its so dirty.

As a diffuse only texture its a nice piece of work.

Originally Posted by iSOBigD
Hehe, that's exactly what I thought. Slapping a grey texture and text on someone else's model is the easy part...the modeling and mapping is the real work.

Granted modelling and mapping are also important but a model can be made more impressive by a good texture or the opposite worse by a bad texture I would not knock texturing.

JuddWack
12-04-2007, 04:07 PM
The texture could use some color I think, but definitely not as bad as the resposne you got. I agree it only needs to be as grungy as YOU want it to be. I showed my work to a girl I know who just graduated from artschool with a game design degree and the first thing she said is the textures aren't beat up enough. In many cases that's a valid crit but I think it is overused.

I do feel that it needs some color. I would pick a soft edged brush and set with a real low opacity (maybe 3-5) and on color mode. Pick some blues to color the top of the weapon for reflections from the sky and browns for ground reflections.

Also I think that the metal needs to be broken up into 'patches' of light and dark. I usually make a black and white cloud layer. Then I apply a filter (forget what it's called atm) that makes a camoflague looking pattern. Then I select all the white colors, feather it, and increase in brightnes by the tiniest bit. Then I'll repeate the process and decrease the brightness by the tiniest bit. If you were making spec maps I'd also save the selections for use in the spec map.

You can see what I'm talking about on the stock of this image.
http://benforce.3d2k.com/gallery/AGsniper/AGsniper_color.jpg

It could also use some highlights along the edges. Off to a nice good clean start though.

PolyPilot
12-04-2007, 04:11 PM
You didn't do anything wrong. The texture is pretty good so far, but I think you have to add some scratches and more details, this would help a lot make your weapon look much more realistic.
Here an example of what I mean:
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/7438/usm203weapon7jd.jpg

Cheers,
Marcel.

Raane
12-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Playing about with clouds, difference clouds, sponge and the like can give a nice variation, i agree that it's looking a little to constant. There have to be blemishes in the actual material even if not grunge. Nothing is created perfect, there are always gonna be subtle variations.

domain
12-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Thank you guys very much. :)
I will work on this a little more with the crits, and I have some other completed things to show soon too.

kromano
12-06-2007, 04:57 AM
I think what was missing here was the "backstory" to the gun. If this was a shotty that saw heavy use in combat overm any years, yeah it's not nearly pounded up enough. Dropped, scratched, marred, maybe even a strap of hockey tape around the grip to improve, well, grip.

However, maybe this is a brand new, never used shotgun. Like was said earlier, I don't think I'd feel to safe if I bought a new shotgun and was handed something that looks like it was used in a colonial war... unless I bought it from the back of some guy's truck, but I digress.

While it's not earthshattering, is it really possible to accurately texture a real gun that is? Consider that most weaponry is single toned and not loaded up with GRAPHICS and DECALS or whatever like their Toys-R-Us counterparts.

Now the real problem is there isn't nearly enough lens flare or Chuck Norris to make me really believe in what you're working on there.

kromano
12-06-2007, 05:04 AM
silly school network, it stopped responding and now I've made a doublepost ):

domain
12-07-2007, 05:08 AM
While it's not earthshattering, is it really possible to accurately texture a real gun that is?

Definately possible.. the cs modding community in its prime had the most talented texturers. Here's a fine example of SixShooter's M4. This was textured back in 2001, just plain and simple diffuse maps on a 2000 faces model. Nowadays, the community is pretty much dead as newer things come out.
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7805/m4wfroe9.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/511/m4mw3.jpg

Pezz3D
12-07-2007, 09:57 AM
The CSS Community is alive and well at forums.deadlok.com just fyi....

domain
12-07-2007, 07:26 PM
The CSS Community is alive and well at forums.deadlok.com just fyi....

i am a member there, but it really isnt as active as it used to be.

Gaboon
12-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Wow. Looks like I started a firestorm. I thought maybe that I had missread your post and jumped to conclusions, after reading it again, I didn't. You did mention suggestions for damage.

I guess it all comes down to what you want. You created a realistic brand new shotgun. Quite well. If that is what you were aiming for, then its fine. In MHO, which is what these forums are about, its very boring. And we get into the relm of simulation VS art. If this is for a portfolio, I guarantee that 9 out of 10 art directors will say the same thing. If its not, than it doesn't matter. Giving an asset history is not about "throwing a bunch of scrtatches on it". Its about conveying its realism to the audience. Selling it by showing its use. Nothing says CG like clean, shiny, new. And it sounds like a lot of other people are giving the same feedback.

Again, new might be totally what you are going for, but if this is for anything to get you into the industry, the route you are taking is a waste of time. I wasn't knocking your ability, just your choices. Trust me, I did the same thing and was given the same feedback I'm giving now by the character art lead at EALA.

ninjacore
12-09-2007, 02:16 PM
i like it. when i opened the thread it was fairly obvious a texture was on it.

juddwack already said what i was thinking at first, and that it just needs some subtle color. you already have it on the grip and receiver, maybe the barrels just need a bit of something.
i think you could have filled the uv space up a bit tighter. also, why is the underside areas so dark? i know its for cs, and in first person view, but it shouldnt be pure black. do teh reload animations not reveal those areas a bit more?
the shading on your barrels could maybe be more highlighty (new word).
check out this tutorial : http://st.burst.cc/tut_frank1.htm

you got any more weapons you've textured?

that m4 you posted is friggin awsome by the way. *right click save*

domain
12-09-2007, 05:04 PM
i like it. when i opened the thread it was fairly obvious a texture was on it.

juddwack already said what i was thinking at first, and that it just needs some subtle color. you already have it on the grip and receiver, maybe the barrels just need a bit of something.
i think you could have filled the uv space up a bit tighter. also, why is the underside areas so dark? i know its for cs, and in first person view, but it shouldnt be pure black. do teh reload animations not reveal those areas a bit more?
the shading on your barrels could maybe be more highlighty (new word).
check out this tutorial : http://st.burst.cc/tut_frank1.htm

you got any more weapons you've textured?

that m4 you posted is friggin awsome by the way. *right click save*

yup, here's the other most recent one.. which I started almost a year ago. I am crosis in cs community.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/462/sparenpz6.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2007, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.