PDA

View Full Version : MGAC #48: The Ultimate Teleporter!

Spex84
11-15-2007, 07:07 PM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/Spex84/mgacpostercopy0zldm3.jpg

Welcome back, ladies and gents. Have you ever wished you could just...zap...travel with no muss or fuss? Have you given all of your waking hours to Portal? It's time to express yourself with your own *monster truck rally voice* ULTIMATE TELEPORTER!!!

Restrictions:
Triangle count: 1000 or under. Double-sided triangles will count as 2. Particle effects are allowed, but each particle counts as one triangle.

Texture Budget:
1x each 512 diffuse/spec/normal/opacity/glow
1x each whatever your particle effects need, as long as it's 256 or under.

You don't have to use all those maps, but the option is there.

Deadline:
~just over 1 week from now: Midnight Sunday November 25 (GMT +-0).

So let's see those crazy teleporting chickens and disappearing telephone booths! Let the challenge begin :D
*EDIT* just to clarify, I'm looking for props rather than scenes, but go nuts :D It can be a portal, wormhole, black hole, singularity event, space-time rip, or whatever....it can shoot them, manifest them, create them, sustain them...you get the picture.

Pathfinder
11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
So what are you looking for exactly? A machine that teleports objects like the portal gun or more of scenes where things are being teleported.

Dhin
11-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Looks like it's supposed to be the Ultimate Teleporter! ;) Mine would be a pocket watch with a second hand, a millennium hand, and an eon hand. . . and when they met it's a happy land. . .

Actually I have ideas for this so I might get in on this action.

matsman
11-16-2007, 01:33 PM
As usual don't have to much time :)
But I'll try to make something... even if it is only a one afternoon solution.

And as I understand we are going to make a device that is used in the process of teleporting an object or person... so not a scene where someone/thing is teleported.
So you can make the startrek thing or a portal device or a wormhole generator (huge spacething) or some organic mushy thing that is used to transport someone.

Ha I am getting ideas now! I'll see what comes up!

Auctane
11-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Im cooking something up.

Spex84
11-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Glad to hear it!
I might give it a shot, too.
As a reminder to competitors with little time to model, your teleporter could be as simple as a Harry Potter-esque "portkey": an old boot or tin can. Of course, it might have to glow or something, so players know that it's not just a piece of gabage.

matsman
11-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Okay... I threw something together last evening.

Model has between 400 and 500 tri's, I started with the diffuse and also have a basic spec and bump in there. I am thinking of adding a normal map and am definitely going to add some special fx.

Tell me what you think!

http://www.matstm.com/CGtalk/Utransport01.jpg

Oh BTW... it is a transporter core that could be thrown out of an airplane... so it is light and sturdy... with a roll cage and extra weight at the bottom so it would land the right way up most of the time... the three "spots" can swivvle and aim at the baseparticle that is emitted from the green core, gets changed by the blue lens and then turned into a matter transference hole about halfway in the air... so that no one gets stuck inside walls or floors when arriving. The whole process can be inverted with aiming the base particle beam at the travelling subject and firing it at him. The matter data between the two different teleporters is being routed by communication planes or sattelites. Hehehe I thought this through :)

edit: Oh and it is slightly more than a foot across to give some sense of dimension

iSOBigD
11-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Does it have to be just one object with a 512x512 texture or multiple objects that add up to 1000 triangles with Multiple textures? If it's just one texture, I can use it for as many objects as I want, right?

Auctane
11-20-2007, 06:17 PM
modeled and ao bake:

http://www.jaredbauer.com/CGTalk/MGAC/48/tele_01.jpg

kromano
11-20-2007, 06:28 PM
When I saw the title the first time in the previous MGAC thread I immediately thought of modeling a pair of shoes. Nothing teleports to more places than a comfy pair of shoes!

Unfortunately I have so many projects for school to do, plus work and my Escherhaus map that I simply don't have time to do anything FUN (besides my map). I really do like the concept though.

iSOBigD
11-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Would this work as a teleporter? Products are placed on the converyor belts, a scanner scans/disintegrates them and the cannon creates a wormhole and shoots the particles through it!

This is my idea so far. 683 polygons for everything and I'm trying to decide if I should go with this or start over before I add more details and texture the cannon.

Everything uses about 6-7 32x32, 64x32, etc. textures that I can later cram into one 512x512 image. The wormhole effect is 256x256.

http://www.imageprowler.com/images/uploads/b_14d965291fb300005f1fdabd3248dc8c.jpg

Spex84
11-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Big D: Looks fine! My only crit so far is that your particle beam is casting shadows...seems odd.

kromano: so true:) Too bad you don't have time to partake :\

Auctane: nice proportions on that model, looking forward to seeing the next step.

matsman: The model confuses me a little, but awesome concept! it'll be clearer with the particle effect added.

Here's my doodle...the idea was a lifepreserver/teleporter that zaps people back to safety. After making it, I realized that unless you could fit your entire body through the portal, it wouldn't work. Your arm might go through if you were to grab it, but that's it.
It's meant to look like it's been floating at sea for a while, and just washed up. Of course, does this mean that sea-water has been pouring through the _other_ end of the portal, somewhere?
Bah. Thwarted by physics.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/Spex84/preserverComp_nov20.jpg

Rafa-el
11-22-2007, 05:39 AM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8443/teleporter1rb6.jpg

just a kick sketch , i think it has a pyramidal shape because when i thought of a teleporter , stargate came to my mind , but unlike the stargate portals/teleporters this one can teleport you anywhere without the need to have a host teleporter on the place you are going , it works via coordinates like a gps teleporter , it is powered by cold fusion

734 polygons , theres still room for detailing.

sorry about my english its been a while since i dont pratice it.

kromano
11-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Here's my doodle...the idea was a lifepreserver/teleporter that zaps people back to safety.

It's perfect! Now you can use it to access the refridgerator without actually having to get up. You just reach through the little teleporter/life saver/hemroid cusion and ZAP! Instant beer.

Or maybe you could just use it to look at people and annoy them that they can't do anything about it or even step through to stop you from doing it...

You could always market it as a gag gift and put quotations around one of the words.... "Life" Preserver or Life "Preserver"

iSOBigD
11-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Ok well I tried a few more ideas, gave up on the cannon one and did this instead. It's one of the first working teleporters, made by some guy in his garage...it should appear in museums so others can think, "wow, teleporters used to be this big and ugly?" :D (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

http://www.imageprowler.com/images/uploads/b_6336af4287b8c55d26d58fd980c127bd.jpg

Spex84
11-25-2007, 02:45 AM
Big D: Nice one! It has much better proportions than your last model. My only question is about the scale...if that's a door at the bottom, this thing must be 50 feet high? The scale of the lights and vents makes it look about 3 feet tall otherwise, about the size of a garbage can.

iSOBigD
11-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Well it should be about average human height and can be used to teleport humans or fairly small crates/barrels. A person needs to operate it from behind so they don't accidentally get teleported (there's a little screen and start button on the back).

I uploaded a quick teleport animation test here (http://stage6.divx.com/user/iSOBigD/video/1890022/Barrel-Teleporting-Test). I did it quickly and all in 2D, so it doesn't look great, but it's only my first draft. Oh and I did it before finishing the texture, just to get ideas on how it should function...I could make it have a flash, teleport to anywhere or just to another teleporter...or to a teleporter "receiver", etc. I haven't really made up my mind yet.

And here's a test rendering with a little object to give you a better idea. Keep in mind this was one of the first teleporters built and therefore wasn't as practical as the newer, mass-produced models. (or so the story goes :))

http://www.imageprowler.com/images/uploads/b_1bec8ab269a739f98d2aa36b8e26f866.jpg

Spex84
11-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Looking good! I understand the scale now...they're very close to the size I thought they should be. Great "tech" details :D

Auctane
11-26-2007, 05:27 AM
858 Tris
512x512 teleporter - diff, glo (didnt have time for spec...)

http://www.jaredbauer.com/CGTalk/mgac/48/UltTel_01.jpg
http://www.jaredbauer.com/CGTalk/mgac/48/UltTel_02.jpg

Spex84
11-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Alrighty, looks like the deadline is up!
Some brief crits:

Matsman: Interesting shape and well thought-out concept. The texture could use a bit more definition.

Big D: the first model had odd scale and proportions, but the concept was quite dramatic. Your second entry has better texturing and, while more generic in function, seems more believable as an actual game model. Good balance between texture and geometry detail, too...it looks more complex than it really is.

Rafa-el: Interesting shape and idea (GPS teleporter). I hope to see you next round!

Auctane: Nice proportions. The model isn't super-interesting, but the glow effect is quite striking and could work well in-game, especially if swapped for a similar, but animated effect.
There are some bevels on the model (inside the small rectangular indentations around the perimeter) that could be removed to save triangles.

And the winnah is.....Big D! For sticking to it, and some nice texture work :D
You're in charge of the next MGAC!

matsman
11-26-2007, 08:38 PM
oeps yeah.. wanted to do some more work.. was actually still a broad colour layout my texture.. :blush:
But as usual time caught me up... had other stuff to do.. you know people depending on you... and also I watched the intermediate riggin dvd from paul neale... and really needed a head to try it out on... so i made one... in the time that was left over... so there you go...

good work.. big D! Two more or less finished entries... I simply can't compete with that :thumbsup:

and auctane... nice.. reminds me of the ut teleporter (you know the thing with the pulsing entenna?) and of a lamp design from the first resident evil movie... I really liked it so tried to make it in 3d once... but I just couldn't get the light right since it really depended on a double reflection

and spex also loved your design.. it has something of a slug in my view...

Good Luck on thinking up the next topic Big D.. I hope it isn't that good (nothing personal) since i won't be able to compete if I see my agenda for the coming month :eek:

iSOBigD
11-27-2007, 01:38 AM
Thanks a lot, guys. I liked the ground teleporter too, but I put more detail into mine (and even made a test animation (http://stage6.divx.com/user/iSOBigD/video/1890022/Barrel-Teleporting-Test)) so I'm glad I won, hehe.

Now I'm new here so someone's gonna have to explain to me how I'll have to go about getting the cash prize...:D Nah, I'm kidding, but this is my first mini-challenge. What do I have to do now?

Auctane
11-27-2007, 02:27 AM
Yeah I've started in on a simple design kick, what can i say. :D - Im a little supprised you noticed those bevels, good eye! ^_^

BigD, congrats! I love the details you put in that one! You can read over the fine print in the intro graphic... or just start up another week (aprox.) long mini challenge. If you want to brainstorm ideas, this is the place to do it.

iSOBigD
11-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Ah, I see. Well I work full-time so the more week-ends we spend on this, the better.

I'm probably gonna make it for Sunday, December 9th so those of us with jobs can work on it too. (hint, hint) Hmm...ideas, ideas...I think low poly space ships are nice. Has that been done before a lot? I was thinking maybe a light/small/fast scout ship so we don't have to spend too much time on motherships and crazy detailled stuff.

Spex84
11-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Sounds fun! Lopoly spaceships have probably been done before in MGAC, but specifying that it must be a scout ship is a great idea.
As it happens, I've been drawing scout ships all week. I'd love to do another one, and build it this time.

iSOBigD
11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Sounds fun! Lopoly spaceships have probably been done before in MGAC, but specifying that it must be a scout ship is a great idea.
As it happens, I've been drawing scout ships all week. I'd love to do another one, and build it this time.
Bah! I don't want you to win so I'll think of something else! Haha, no I'm kidding, we'll do space ships. Can I make a thread now and say "you have X days" or does it really have to be a week at most?

matsman
11-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Well... you go crazy and set all the parameters you want.... closing date, polygon usage, texture space, included objects or shapes you really think have to be in it, mandatory concept art... whatever you want... you are the boss.

include mgac in the title of your thread, post the mgac pic, an intro to your idea, the limitations and the closing date.

If you want you can do a search in this part (wip/gameart) of the forum for mgac and find all the previous challenges and see what has been done and what kind of spec's ideas there were.

Anyway... do your thing! Once. again... I am very busy..(especially weekends for some reason... i don't get?) but will try to enter if I find some time or space I need filling.

Cheers! :wavey:

Auctane
11-28-2007, 03:14 AM
Ohhhh does this smell of a 128 or 256 challenge?!?!

Should be fun!

*the idea of the MGAC was that it was something you could do in an evening or two. - its veered from that from time to time, but that was the original idea. Do what you will, just dont drag it out IYKWIM :D

ashe
11-28-2007, 03:58 AM
When is the next challenge coming!:bounce:

iSOBigD
11-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Next challenge thread it up! (Scout Ship)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4804045#post4804045

You may post ideas and questions there also since this is my first time doing this. I might change rules, make them more specific, etc. if you guys want.

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2007, 06:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.