PDA

View Full Version : To Many Graphic Cards?

Tengwar3
11-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Well i have a few old computers that i got for free. And it seems like i have gotten a few miscellaneous graphics cards. Two of which are 64 Mb (one PCI and one PCI x some thing) and one 4Mb (yea there old) but i was wondering what good, if any, would they do for a modern system (my system starts are listed bellow) I also got an ATI Sapphire 7000 (PCI slot). I believe the 7000 to be a 64Mb card. So this will fill up all my PCI slots on my mother board.

So the thing that i am wondering is, will this help out my system or are they all to old to perform with the speed needed. i will be using them for rendering, not pure speed i might add.

I will post what graphics cards i have in a latter post, i do not have them with me right now. But for now here is my system stats:

Base Model: HP a1720n
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
MoBo: Leonite (P5LP-LE)
RAM: 4 Gigs (PNY)

Thank you greatly,

John Martin

Srek
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Do yourself a favour and don't go near your new system with either of the cards.
None of those is in any way usefull to boost up your system, on the cotrary, they will cripple graphics performance compoared to any cheap PCIx card you can currently get
Cheers
Björn

lots
11-15-2007, 02:50 PM
If you think this will increase 3D performance, it wont.

At best you'll be able to drive several monitors, none of which will support 3D graphics at decent frame rates.

Tengwar3
11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
First thank you for the prompt response. And was not going for a lot of monitors or any thing of that nature, its going to be more on the lines for rendering. So the speed isn't the issue, its the power that i need. Sorry if i didn't make that clear, will revise my first post.

Thanks again, and hope its not to much trouble,

John martin

Jagdpanther
11-15-2007, 10:01 PM
What are you doing with the computer? As in what sort of rendering. As far as I'm aware 3D programs use CPU for rendering and if your gaming, those cards are way way too old to support most current games. do you have any money to spend on a new card?

Tengwar3
11-15-2007, 11:55 PM
As of the moment i am using Yafray (i model with Blender). But i am soon to get into some 3DS MAX with in the month.

"As far as I'm aware 3D programs use CPU for rendering"

But if rendering uses the CPU what is the use of a graphics card? Also if would you know what the difference between a gaming card and a professional card is that would be helpful. But i do believe that i will be getting an 8800 GT for Christmas.

therealpepe1
11-16-2007, 01:40 AM
The graphics card renders or draws out the viewport, if your viewport is not displayed properly or lags behind not much work will get done.

Jagdpanther
11-16-2007, 03:55 AM
are you doing lots of high poly stuff? if so it'll kill the vid card

but if your getting an 8800GT you should be set

Srek
11-16-2007, 06:42 AM
So the speed isn't the issue, its the power that i need.
The only thing related to power these graphics card do is consume electrical power, thats all.
A graphics card will not add to the performance of a renderer unless it's a very specific renderer (Gelato for example) and a matching graphics card (current Quadro FX and similar).
Like many other people you seem to mix up what games people mean with rendering and what 3D artists mean.
Related to games it's the ability to convert digital scene information to displayable content in realtime (over all the same what a good editor of a 3D app does) which includes some shading and normal mapping (some more recent cards and games support some more stuff). For 3D artists rendering is the process of creating single images or sequences of them that take complex models, lighting, shadows etc. into account, well beyond what graphics card are able to do.
In games rendering has to be done on the fly, while the way more complex rendering in 3D can take up to several hours per single image.
As for the Pro / Gaming Card, this has been discussed so many times on this forum i can't count it :)
Hope this helps a bit

Cheers
Björn

VeryPC
11-16-2007, 07:34 AM
You say that one of the cards is a pci express something.

As far as I'm aware there is no 64MB pci-express card, try it out and see what model it is.

lots
11-16-2007, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't bother with any of those cards unless you are after multimonitor support. Otherwise you are wasting time and money (electrical bills :P)

PanzerMKZ
11-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Ok won't repeat what has been said. But will change the subject alittle bit and say have you increased the number of threads blender has on your box? Should be in the output tab. If it is 1 then set to 2. You should see a vast improvement then

Panzer

Tengwar3
11-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Alrighty then, i will hold off till i get the new 8800GT. Thank you all greatly for your help.

Have a great Thanks Giving,

John Martin

PanzerMKZ
11-22-2007, 06:56 PM
I want to know if you checked out the thread setting in blender. If you did and changed it then you should have noticed a vast improvement.

Panzer

Tengwar3
11-26-2007, 01:02 AM
How would i go about changing the thread settings?

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2007, 01:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.