PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Stonepilot
11-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Below are some samples of the work that the talented team at Infinity Ward did for Call of Duty 4. I notice the thread going in general discussions so I figure we in return posted some of the work that went into it. All this are in game models. See you online.

-0scar
http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Brad_comp.jpg

http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Taehoon_comp.jpg

http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Thee_comp.jpg

http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Todd_Comp.jpg
http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/velinda_comp.jpg

http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Ryan_02.jpg

http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Oscar_01.jpg

http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Joel_02.jpg

Stonepilot
11-13-2007, 10:46 PM
http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Richard_01.jpg

http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Richard_02.jpg

http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Ryan_01.jpg

http://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Oscar_02.jpghttp://www.infinityward.com/cgtalk/Joel_01.jpg
Some more that wouldn't fit in the ealier post.

pum
11-13-2007, 10:51 PM
very very awesome work, I-dub! The in game models are truly amazing. I had a good time working with u guys :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
11-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Great job guys. Love the models and lighting in the game.

*plugged

mindrot
11-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Fantastic work by all involved. Loved the game (I love the series- well mostly 1,2 & 4 (especially 4)). I simply love the cinematic quality to the game, and the end (before the credits) is just so satisfying. Busy playing through for the second time on Veteran... did you have to make it so damn hard!!! :D

Thanks for the great game. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

PS: I loved this article as well: POST-MORTEM: Why CoD4 Looks So Hot (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7911&Itemid=2)

~M~

barrymcw
11-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the image dump. This is something I'd like to see a bit more of actually. Over on conceptart.org you'll get concept artists who worked on a title doing big dumps of their work once the game has released. Maybe we'll start to see big posts of 3d assets.

Anyways, some great stuff in here...and to think, you guys are right down the road from me. San Fernando Valley FTW!!!

taehoon
11-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Haha.. our image is on the front page ...

Yes, this game is awesome and worthy to play.. great job to our art team.

Taehoon

taehoon
11-13-2007, 11:45 PM
very very awesome work, I-dub! The in game models are truly amazing. I had a good time working with u guys :thumbsup:

Herbert.. Your helps made our game greater .. thanks Herbert. Hope to see you soon...

Taehoon

Heber
11-13-2007, 11:55 PM
this game is awesome, probably the best shooter i have played in many years.
That sniper mission in chernobyl is still my favourite so far!
congrats guys, :)

StickFigure
11-14-2007, 12:02 AM
I just picked up COD4 last night and I can't wait to play it, it looks awesome. I spent the extra 10 bucks to get the collector's edition because it came with a nice little hardcover artbook. If anyone here has it for the PC drop me a line and we can hop on a server together.

lildragon
11-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Me likely! The demo was intense, really looking forward to picking this up for PS3.

take care and thx for posting!

~t

heavyness
11-14-2007, 12:26 AM
thanks for the pictures! great game, can't stop playing it online [gamertag:heavyness]

the game is right up there as one of the best looking games [characters, animations, models, effects... all running silky smooth].

Venkman
11-14-2007, 12:28 AM
I love these threads, but I would love to buy an "art of Call of Duty 4" book even more!

There are art books coming out for both Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect, put out by Prima Strategy Guides. I bought the limited edition Gears of War guide (I didn't need it) because it came with an awesome concept art book.

The images above are beautiful - any chance of seeing some published form of infinity ward concept and final game art?

Stonepilot
11-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the kind words. I'd love maybe get my hands on more stuff that people clear to show you guys. As an artist I always enjoy looking at stuff behind the scenes so i figure some of you guys would appreciate it. :-)

P_T
11-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Awesome game, my girlfriend thought some of it were photos. :scream:

That death from above mission was particularly cool. Great job guys!!

fabianloing
11-14-2007, 12:42 AM
congrats to IW!

Agree to heber, I feel COD4 is simply the best shooter i have ever played so far and will be my most favorite for a long long time! Really amazing from all aspects! Done playing the campaign which is crazyly intense, and now hooked heavily on the multi...heheheh!! Great job guys!

Now, i would really really love to see the SAS model too...thats actually my most favorite there! :thumbsup:

-Fabian

AndyH
11-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Bloody excellent stuff! I was gonna delay getting this for a month or 2 because of the recent flood of decent first person shooters (orange box, bioshock, halo) but i cant wait no more - gonna buy it this week :-D

Heber
11-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Now, i would really really love to see the SAS model too...thats actually my most favorite there! :thumbsup:

-Fabian

yeah i want to see the sas model and the truck!

..and any other cool images you guys have.

:)

Stonepilot
11-14-2007, 12:54 AM
I'll see if i can track of the SAS stuff and put up. :-)

mrBananas
11-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Great stuff guys! Loving all the work posted so far.Especially that heli pilot guy.

Wish I had some money to buy the game for PS3 :shrug:

krazeyhorse
11-14-2007, 02:45 AM
Absolutely Fantastic art work! I can't wait to buy this game!

I really want to do a character model ( or 2 ) for this game. Please release the tools needed eg. importer/exporter ( maya ) and a model viewer etc...

U guys are the best!

aesis412
11-14-2007, 02:48 AM
Awesome work on the COD4 love the game.

harmonic01
11-14-2007, 02:54 AM
I'm totally hooked on the game. Amazingly, it runs on my old, crappy 2.8 ghz (hyperthreading) 6600 GT video card without a hitch and still looks awesome. Love it. Awesome job. :thumbsup:

illadam
11-14-2007, 03:18 AM
Awesome game in every aspect. Amazing single player and crazy fun multiplayer, my room mate has gone prestige mode already! I find myself looking at the beautiful levels and characters in game when I should be blasting away hehe. Once again thanks for posting the images I really enjoy them and everyone who worked on it did an amazing job.

PeteS
11-14-2007, 03:23 AM
Kudo's my friend..
Amazing looking pieces for a such light poly work too!

Now if someone can make my next game purchase of either Assasin's Creed or COD4 choice for me, life would be so much simpler.

But man..this looks AMAZING!

Alphagsv
11-14-2007, 03:27 AM
That's some really amazing work. I got the game, which is reallly awesome. Big thumbs up. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Later.

ZippZopp
11-14-2007, 03:58 AM
cool artwork and a very satisfying single player campaign. congrats on a job well done

WhiteBlaizer
11-14-2007, 04:32 AM
I bought the game a few days ago, and i'm enjoying like a child ^^

Great art! I'ts really a must have :D

SPIDER2544
11-14-2007, 06:27 AM
congrats to all the guys at IW you all did a kick ass job.

Richard Smith was my teacher at Art Center, and im glad i finaly got to see some of super top secret stuff he worked on haha.

AndreiSzasz
11-14-2007, 06:37 AM
WOww
great job guys !
can't wait to play it.

Piz
11-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Awsome Works Guy! :bounce: :thumbsup:
I'll play with your ... Masterpiece! :applause:

michael-olszak
11-14-2007, 08:33 AM
awesome work dudes!! Am really looking forward to playing the game (when i have some time to spare).

vfx
11-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Great job guys, Infinity Ward does so many things right and I look up to you all for sticking it to all the other large franchises, and sticking to ur guns - your work proves that you have the right management and the best setup! Keep kicking ass!

One plea - please don't follow in the footsteps of battlefield and make a futuristic battle game next! Stick with hard rock bullets not lasers and flying mobiles!!

mindrot
11-14-2007, 09:58 AM
One plea - please don't follow in the footsteps of battlefield and make a futuristic battle game next! Stick with hard rock bullets not lasers and flying mobiles!!

Gotta fully agree there as well.

~M~

Djeff
11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Amazing work! It is one of the best game I have ever played, very intense. It is the best mixt between cinema and video games. Great job Infinity ward, french people love your games ^^

ldgree
11-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks for sharing xD
Wonderful work u.u

Lman
11-14-2007, 11:46 AM
love the game guys.. the art work is second to none..

fantastic..
:)

smaug
11-14-2007, 11:55 AM
its looking fantastic.
i just played the game and the part where we play captain pierce is amazing. i was blown away when the other guy in ghillie suit just stood up at the beginning of the mission. you really cant see him in the bushes...

the images are really great and it even runs at full specs( except AA) on my 3 years old machine.. how did you do it i have no idea.

congrats to you all...

will there be any extra mission packs in the future? please say yes :applause:

banzato
11-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Very good. Thanks for this references, it`s very important to me. I played the demo and now I will buy it. Thanks a lot.

bradw
11-14-2007, 12:20 PM
I have to admit; if there is one place I would risk emigrating for, it would be to work at IW.
Stunning work- great code and a fantastic company work ethic.

Congrats guys.
Roll on your next title.

verzun
11-14-2007, 01:11 PM
It's sensational work i can't believe it possible to produce something to work like that in game. how much poly are those characters? i've been told ppl are making 2500- triangle characters for next generation gaming. does anyone know if its true?

pimeto
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
really cool artwork! nice job on the game!

except that i regret giving my money for that game.... another stupid proamericant game...

leigh
11-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Fantastic work, everyone. I thoroughly loved the game and was blown away by the quality of the graphics.

dhruvsm
11-14-2007, 03:20 PM
absolutely stunning!!!...beautiful...thanx for posting!!!...played the 1st and the 2nd versions from start to finish, simply addictive and cann't wait to jump into this one too!!!....

grassetti
11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
amazing guys!
best shooter game ever.

awesome!
bests,

Grassetti.

Infuscos
11-14-2007, 09:07 PM
I have got to get me this game :thumbsup:

NolanSW
11-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Truly a work of art. Lighting, mood, animation and gameplay all coming together. I can't recall any other game that I've gone back and replayed levels. Challenging as hell. Online play is outstanding.

My only crit with the controls is it would have been great if it had some of the functionality as say GRAW where you can peek around corners and hug the wall so as not to fully expose yourself. But then one of the other controls would have to go away which are so crucial to the game so I can see the issue. Really minor.

Happy Gamer :bounce:

neuromancer2
11-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah, thanks a lot...I haven't gotten anything done since this damn game came out!

I'm this close to locking myself in my room, with COD4 on the XBOX, a month supply of canned tamales and coke, and cutting a hole in my chair with a bucket under it.

Djampa
11-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing, games are really pushing the limits...
Pretty impressive for game models.

Congratulations, excellent !

DuttyFoot
11-15-2007, 03:36 AM
this game is sweeeeet....i love these type of games. i have been playing the ghost recon series for a while, and this is my first call of duty game. this is totally amazing. i'm in the tv studio right now and man is the fire fight intense. was playing on my pc but for some reason the game kept quitting on me, so i installed it on my m90 which is better performance wise. you fellas did a heck of a job on this game....

EvoInSec
11-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Hi everybody

First of all GREAT work i had always dreamed about the day in where gameplay graphics looks like the cinematics graphics and i think that day is getting closser :eek:

Well maybe this is a really newbie question but why the wires are on triangles and non on quads ? Is that better for games of is the same ? and then on some shots of the process i saw some lights that looks like planes and also on the grass and smoke theres also planes are they just planes with textures and alpha maps? if is like that how you make them interact with other objects in the scene like a soldiers walking thought the grass ?

Hope you understand the questions and sorry again if those are dumb question but i would like to know! Thanks

PS: Sorry about my english i still learning:shrug:

Lman
11-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Just finished the game on hardened skill level on the PC

You guys owe me about 50 black hairs that you made GRAY.. soo hard.
at one stage I spent hours trying to finish just one tricky part.

but WHAT A GAME.
every little detail is amazing.

I love the feel and mood the of artwork and effects brings a lot to the great story.
Bravo

simps
11-15-2007, 02:15 PM
COD4 was awesome. I really liked the Gunship level and the flashback level. My only complaint about the game was that it ended. In all seriousness, it did feel a little short. But time to go back and play it on a harder level.

Stonepilot
11-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Let me try to answer your questions as best as I can. :-)

Well maybe this is a really newbie question but why the wires are on triangles and non on quads ?
The game engine triangulates the meshes once you put them in the game. We capture those screen right out of the engine. We work in quads in maya. Once you put it into the game autimatically it gets triangulated. Our engine can handle triangles,quads, 5 sided polys.

I and then on some shots of the process i saw some lights that looks like planes and also on the grass and smoke theres also planes are they just planes with textures and alpha maps?
The "lights that look like planes" are actually sprites in the game. That's actually the dust,fog etc... flying around in the level, we have multiple layers. The grass are just planes with alpha channel in them.

if is like that how you make them interact with other objects in the scene like a soldiers walking thought the grass ?

Dynamic objects in COD4 all have collisions in them.

Hope tha answers your questions. :-)

Teriander
11-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I have never played any of the CoD titles, and I was NOT going to buy CoD 4 until a life long friend recommended it. I bought it, and its the best FPS I've ever played. I've told all my coworkers to check it out and they love it. Great job to everyone who developed it! You own!

EvoInSec
11-16-2007, 03:06 AM
StonePilot thank you very much for the answers and again EXCELENT WORK !

renaissance01
11-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Such a great and beautiful game! Good work! Just wondering...since the particles looked so nice, any chance of shining some light on the textures or procedures used for the vfx in the game?

liquidcrow
11-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Really awesome game :thumbsup::thumbsup: I was slightly dissapointed with the collectors edition cause the artbook was sooo tiny. I was expecting a normal artbook filled with tones of beautiful concept art, kind of like the half life 2 artbook.

Any chance of posting more concepts? :applause:

marinello2003
11-23-2007, 05:17 AM
I just played COD4 for the first time tonight and all I have to say is WOW! You guys nailed it on the realism front. Everything from the look to the personalities of the characters and the action are spot on. I have played many FPS war time shooters and this one is by far the best.

pierrebixquert
11-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Very fantastic work AND Game :)

The best Game 2007/08 :)

thank you

Allen M
11-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Just gorgeous. I wish I had this game!

coolman85
11-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Wow .. wut can i say it keeps getting better & better its my favorite game i've played the 3 parts .. but this 1 is awsome .. good job guys

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2007, 08:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.