PDA

View Full Version : rigid binding or smooth binding

sabungero
04-15-2003, 12:44 AM
which do u prefer? what are the pros and cons?

PS: i wish maya has envelopes like max's

seb4d
04-15-2003, 06:00 PM
I prefer smooth bind because of its flexibility, and it simulates organic models better than rigid bind.

PS : I wish max has smooth bind skin like maya :p

AWAKE
04-15-2003, 06:34 PM
I was rigid bind for a long time....

but smoove B and some slick inluence moves work pretty well.

buy gnomon skinning 3 and 4. They show you what's up.

when I did use rigid bind, I was assigning all the geometry to lattices, and the lattices to a skeleton. It worked nicely, but it looked kindof crazy.

Influences and smoove b work nice enough.

sabungero
04-16-2003, 02:34 AM
thanks for the replies...what im doing now in maya is using smooth bind with blendshape for my skinning...

does maya have something that even resembles envelopes for skinning? i find it very difficult working w weight maps.....more difficulty saving it too...it takes way to loooong to save just a small bit of the mesh's weight

PS: is there any point that rigid bind is better than smooth bind? and yes,mas does have smooth bindin(physique & skin) ;-)

matty429
04-16-2003, 03:32 AM
Rigid is alot faster........

Flexors...Are kind of like envelopes

GrafOrlok
04-16-2003, 08:34 AM
does maya have something that even resembles envelopes for skinning? i find it very difficult working w weight maps.....more difficulty saving it too...it takes way to loooong to save just a small bit of the mesh's weight
A wrap deformer works kind of like envelopes. But that has nothing to do with joints, so what you'd have to do is to use geometry to deform your model. That's a whole other issue.

But frankly I think you'll just have to get used to the tool. Weighting is WAY more flexible, precise and easier to use than envelopes, once you know how. Why would you want to save the weight maps? Are you trying to transfer the weight between geometry. In that case forget about weight maps. It works quite bad. Use a script from Highend3d called transfer_weight_v.mel instead. It's quite easy to use, made for Maya 2 but still works!

sabungero
04-16-2003, 01:25 PM
graf: yup! im using wrap deformer :-) cool deformer i must add....yes i am trying to transfer the weights ;-) saving them give me a backup :-)

matty: pls explain ur point...performance wise? what are flexors?

PS: graf: in case u dont know...an orlok is a commanding general in a mongol army under chingis khan :-)

thanks for the replies....sorry for being a pain...

GrafOrlok
04-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Super off-topic:
PS: graf: in case u dont know...an orlok is a commanding general in a mongol army under chingis khan :-)

Had no idea, but it makes sense. In swedish a warship is called Örlog and there is also the english term Warlok and I am sure all these are related somehow. No, mine is from the Dracula character in the old german silent Nosferatu and he's my all time favorite character. I designed and sculpted a toy action figure based on him a few years back when I was working as a sculptor.

matty429
04-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Rigid bind used The points on the joints to bind skin...

Smooth bind uses The points on the joints + The vertex on the skin...

Flexors Attatch to the joints in rigid bind and allot a smoother movement at the joints...I guess kind of like a fancy lattice...but it binds to the joint ...not the mesh

sabungero
04-17-2003, 01:33 AM
matty: hmm...i stil dont get it...:airguitar ill try reading maya's vague docs for help...

PS: how do i mirror weights from the right forearm to the left fore arm(just an example)...maya doesnt seem to have mirror weights as an option...

graf: thanks for the tip on transfer weight script...ill play around w it :wip:

YankyBJeans
04-17-2003, 05:37 PM
maya does in fact have a mirror weights. I just learned it for my character too, and all from reading the maya help docs!

Select the vertices or cv's that have weight maps on them that you want to mirror(for example pick all the vertices on the arm). Then shift select all the vertices that you want the weights to mirror to(shift select all the vertices on the other arm) go to skin - edit smooth skin - mirror skin weights option box and set the mirror axis to what you need. Hit apply and there you go. I had pretty good success using mirror weights. In almost exactly the same fashion you can also copy/paste weights as well from say one character to another.

Yanky

sabungero
04-18-2003, 01:01 AM
jeans: thanks for the tip :-)

YankyBJeans
04-18-2003, 02:59 AM
no prob :) post some pics of you character if you can, I would love to see them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.