PDA

View Full Version : Not your usual weightlift.. =)

WesleyChandler
11-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi fellow Animators,

I'm doing a weightlift assignment, but not the usual box. He instead, lifts a car. Lots more to do, but any comments and critiques would be helpful! thanks!

http://www.wesleychandler.com/cgtalk/wes_weightlift.mov

mistasam02
11-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Really awesome!! My only suggestion would be to add some sway side to side when the car is lifted up. It just feels a little too stiff, and I'd imagine the robot would have more trouble balancing it. Great job showing weight though! You're really good :thumbsup:

WesleyChandler
11-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks Mistasam02 for the C&C. I will put that into consideration in my animation. Another late nighter, and heres my playblast so far (I just realised the tires spin out of alignment, will fix that next time).

http://www.wesleychandler.com/cgtalk/wes_weightlift02.mov

But hows the rest of the animation?

mistasam02
11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Hmm now that it's all smoothed out I'm noticing some more things. In the beginning the transition from walk to grabbing the lever is too sudden. It looks too much like he just stops moving (even though he isn't) so it could use maybe a sway to the side before he stops.

Next... and this is a kinda big change, so it's up to you if you want to do it... the robot's pose before picking up the car is a little awkward. His left foot is way too far back, making the right leg responsible for all of the lifting force. It would look more natural if the left one was up closer to the car like the right one, and then take a step back as he picks it up. Then again, it's a big change, so it's up to you if you want to use it. :shrug: Nice update though! Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Rogun
11-15-2007, 09:14 PM
I really like this animation. Even made me chuckle a little at the end. I agree with the above post the car loses its sense of weight after its lifted. It needs to show how topheavy it is and give it slower swooping motions with the robot trying to balance it. The other is the right hand. I know the main grip is on the hood but is there any way to give a little more emphasis on the right hand as he's lifting the car? Its just kinda there at the moment.

If he cant reach the fender, I thought it would be funny to make him so frustrated that he crams his hand into the side of the car to get a grip, and perhaps even have the hood bend in his left hand based on the fact all the weight of this large SUV is getting put on that thin peice of metal while lifting. But that you mean you would have to rig up something on the car and Im not sure if youre willing to do that. But it would add a little something extra to the animation, I think. But thats just my 2 cents.

matsman
11-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Very nice... really love this...

Agreeing to the swaying.. that really needs to happen.. But also I feel that when the car is put on the lift it would probably slide a bit towards the robot when he releases his grip... since most of the weight is the engine.. it would also give a little panicky moment which I think is good.

Can't wait to see the next update

WesleyChandler
11-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys for the C&C!

I've done quite a lot more improvements, and it is pretty much almost done!..

MistaSam02 - I think I fixed the problem when he arrives to the lever/handle from stopping abruptly, I moved his COG a bit more, what do you think about that? Also, with him taking a step back as he pulls it up would be a bit too much of a change for the time restraint im under. But I hope how he's lifting it is more believable now.

Rogun - Thanks for pointing that out to me, I added more swaying and I think it does help quite a lot more to the believabilty of the cars weight. and Yes, it would be cool to have his hand crumple the hood a bit, but unfortunetly, the deadline is in a few days. Maybe aftewards if I get time! it would definatly give it that much more.

Matsman - Great idea! Unfortunetly, I'm too far into the assignment. But i'l keep that in mind for future tweaks.

So heres the new link:

http://www.wesleychandler.com/cgtalk/wes_weightlift03.mov

Critiques will still be great since I have a few days before my deadline to tweak and make it better!:thumbsup:

arrow000
11-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Hey how are you doing? BTW nice photos on your website. Really nice photography skills.

First off, your first shot is pretty interesting, except there's visual tension with the switch and the car lift. The start of the walk cycle is a bit strange. An easy fix would be to make a cut sooner. A cut right after he takes the first step should be enough for us to understand.

Your walk cycle to the car could use some polish. Get some movement in the spine. Maybe this is pushing it too far, but maybe you could have him pause for a moment, thinking about what he'll do before he tries to lift it, looking at the car and the lift.

When he's first lifting the car, his feet are really far back. I know that you're exaggerating, but to make it as believable as possible, the feet should be under the car and the hands as far as possible. The cog is extremely important here. It must be always glued to the car, countering the force of the arms for leverage. Using the knee is a good idea, but the only way it can be believable is if it's centered on the bumper. Other wise, your character will need to use extra strength in his arms to keep the car to the left. He will need as much energy lifting the car from his arms as possible! Only step back after the car is balanced.

Balance is super important for believability and is very hard to achieve, especially when exaggerating. When the car swings back after the first lift, he would fall back and get squashed. You must make us believe that his weight tilted back, is countering the weight of the car. The only way this can happen, is if the car is almost perfectly balanced.

The car cannot go past the "mid balance point". Does that make any sence? The only time it can be unbalanced, is if he is either lifting it to bring it to balance, or letting it go out of balance to move it. The car goes way beyond the mid point for several seconds.

Come to think of it, I think it might be better with both hands on the hood.

I like the drop and the final push, but I would like to see more struggle!

You picked a hard scene, but if you pull it off, it'll be a good demo reel piece!

Let me know if you need further clarification, i am not sure i was ultra clear on everything.

Have you shown your animation to Taylor

WesleyChandler
11-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the comment/critique Stephane. I'll definatly keep that in mind for tuning up for demo reel.

Here is what I handed in as my weightlift assignment:

http://www.wesleychandler.com/cgtalk/wes_weightlift04.mov

I still think it can be improved. Any C&C would be great!

- Wesley C

mistasam02
11-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey that last one is WAY better! Great improvements! :D There's a few things still there that could be fixed, though. In the very beginning, his right arm/hand seems very stiff. The part where he lifts the SUV is really really awesome.. but there seems to be a pop afterwards when he steps with his right foot. Aside from that I think it's pretty solid! Nice job sir!

gim-audio
11-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi there Wesley

What a funny little piece:thumbsup: And great told too, I think!

I dont know much about animation, so please feel free to say if what I say is completely wack, and not possible or unnatural.

Isnt it possible to add a very small tremor/shake to the picture, when the car his the lift? Just to give the feeling of a few tons hitting the lift.
Also, maybe add some very light shockabsorber/tire movement when the car hits the lift.

I know these are details, but I just wanted to give my opinion, on your exellent animation!

Best wishes,

Mikkel

Vertrucio
11-28-2007, 08:10 PM
A small comment on the acting.

When the character does the "oh great..." gesture where he holds out both arms to the side. This is too much of a canned reaction, especially since you do it twice.

After the level pull, he goes straight into the gesture, you can really use an anticipation pose just before the gesture to help emphasize it. Otherwise, going straight from holding the lever into an arms raised gesture feels a bit odd.

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2007, 08:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.