PDA

View Full Version : Like Mononoke

pfistar
11-13-2007, 01:39 AM
hi all
I'm looking to solve a challenge using tools native to Max8.0 or Max9.0. Essentially I want to have a swarm (maybe 200-300 elements) of worm-like critters travel over a mound-like surface in the same general direction. There's to be a certain amount of variety in their forms - some thicker, some longer, different colors, etc.

also some randomness in thier paths and speed - some of the worms undulate, while others move relatively straight across the surface - something like the wild boar creature sequences in Princess Mononoke.

Right now i'm not sure if it makes more sense to use a particle flow solution ('chase' and surface deform/conform) - or to get into crowd simulations. Perhaps the solution lies in a composite of both methods. Time is an issue (i need to deliver by the end of November and it's an eveniong/weekend kind of gig) - I have next to no experience with either method.

Can I use a particle simultaion to keep the head of each worm stuck to the mound's geometry as it moves along, while the tail flutters behind via a ripple or noise deformation? If so, how might this be accomplished?

any guiding word would be fantastic.

nikpfistar

PsychoSilence
11-13-2007, 04:04 PM
box#1´s LOCK/BOND neccessary...based on allan mckay´s tank explosion tutorial from his second dvd...

zip contains the max9-32 file :) the worms even creep up hills etc...

kindest regards,
anselm

pfistar
11-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Vielen Danke!
I haven't opened it up yet but I wanted give heads-up and thank you.
Nice reel, btw!
NikPfist

PsychoSilence
11-14-2007, 08:23 AM
thanks bro! glad u like it :)

kindest regards,
anselm

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2007, 08:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.