PDA

View Full Version : Bibelot

Mettle
11-13-2007, 01:04 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/1194915847/680bound
(http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/1194915847/1024bound)My first entry and one of my personal pieces. Created in Photoshop.

I drew inspiration from far and near, the micro and the macro... that is... deep sea creatures that we are discovering all the time and from creatures or essences that may exist in other worlds, dimensions or possibly just in my vivid imagination. I see this as a hybrid of sorts, one that unifies mind and body... as a result I felt it needed an ethereal feel to it and I tried to achieve this through form, flow and through the use of transparency.

How did I do?

wild-brendan
11-13-2007, 09:48 AM
sweet, its a prawn!

Mettle
11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks and it is fascinating that you see this as a Prawn. Others see this piece quite differently. This is what makes abstracts interesting to do. Thanks again for your kind words.

Cheers,
Chris

ActionHank
11-13-2007, 12:22 PM
It looks like shrimp to me too

Mettle
11-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Others have seen a Swan.

Cheers,
Chris

WWalker
11-14-2007, 12:30 AM
I see the shrimp, but I can also see bits a a swan as well, cool bit of work.

ldgree
11-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Beautiful work... i love the flow ^^

Mettle
11-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the kind words. It was a lot of fun to do.

Cheers,
Chris

majiqmud
11-16-2007, 10:42 AM
simplicity blended with intrigue ... all i can say ... WOW! great job! would love to hear what the inspiration for this one was :)

islaSyr
11-16-2007, 12:14 PM
nice thing..

but I think u need more complication to put ur self in..

Mettle
11-16-2007, 01:44 PM
simplicity blended with intrigue ... all i can say ... WOW! great job! would love to hear what the inspiration for this one was :)

Thank you majiqmud, you are too kind.

I do not mean to be rude but I have a deadline to meet for this evening. Hence, I will give you the short answer and elaborate on this some time this weekend.

The short answer = Miles Davis & John Coltrane.

Cheers,
Chris

Mettle
11-16-2007, 01:53 PM
nice thing..

Thank you but I am afraid I do not understand what you mean. Can you please elaborate when you get a chance.

Cheers,
Chris

biliousfrog
11-16-2007, 03:12 PM
nice thing..

To be perfectly honest, your comments are really starting to irritate me. Every one of your comments in this NVArt section has suggested that the artist needs to make it look more complicated. You obviously don't understand the concept of this challenge/competition or what constitutes as "art" & personally I don't think you have any grounds to be telling people what they need to do to win. I really can't wait to see what masterpiece you come up with.

Sorry Mettle,

Really nice image, I'm surprised that it's all 2D. When you have a chance, could you describe your process for creating the image.

BTW, I also see a prawn/shrimp...or maybe a twisted squid

Mettle
11-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Really nice image, I'm surprised that it's all 2D. When you have a chance, could you describe your process for creating the image.

Thank you biliousfrog.

I start off by creating several simple shapes using the aribrush tool in Photoshop. One shape per layer. I then duplicate the various shapes several times and use the Photoshop Warp tool.

I vary the warp, scale, rotation, position etc. on each layer. Once I am happy with the overall shape and composition I flatten the layers and do some freeform painting over the whole of the image... oh, I also use Photoshops Liquify quite a bit.

That pretty much covers the technique for this one.

Cheers,
Chris

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2007, 07:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.