PDA

View Full Version : Texturing Nightmares

GUMP
04-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Ok, I have a problem with some textures im doing at the moment.
I have a model and im using the projection method to get my textures on my object. The material is set to blinn and I have a color, bump and specular map now here is the problem. I was hoping that by using the blinn I would be able to retain the shiny attributes of the blinn once all my maps were in place, instead I get dull boring looks like I painted it in Frustrator (illustrator). I am using .tiff for the maps so if anyone could help me out that would be great.

I believe i may be going about it all the wrong way so please help...

beaker
04-14-2003, 11:11 PM
This has to do with the your mapping of the specular with a map. If it is all black or very dark then your object cannot be shiny because the map is not allowing it.

GUMP
04-16-2003, 02:31 PM
actually its not dark at all, it has highlights in areas and painted with white of course but other areas are not black and I still dont get the shiny surface in areas I think I should. What file type are you saving your maps too, me i use .tiff.

dedmann
04-16-2003, 03:17 PM
Hey Gump!

Just so i understand the way you apply your textures is it UV projections like planar mapping or you use a projection utility?

either way .tiff is fine thats what i use and i have no problem!

could be your diffuse is way off or your spec color?

try an ipr rendering and make ajustment real time!

Dedmann
:thumbsup:

GUMP
04-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Unfortunately I dont know enough about lighting to help me out but what I have found out is that if you use GI_Joe for GI than it tends to blow out the scene, are there any settings I should be aware of in GI_Joe that AI could turn down to get the shine of the blinn back instead of turning it off all together

jeremybirn
04-16-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by GUMP
actually its not dark at all, it has highlights in areas and painted with white of course but other areas are not black and I still dont get the shiny surface in areas I think I should. What file type are you saving your maps too, me i use .tiff.

I'm guessing on what problems you have:

1. Your specular map is removing both specularity and reflectivity, and you still want reflections even where there's no highlights. If that's the problem, then just change the shader type to PhongE and map the specular whiteness instead.

2. You are expecting a specular map to ADD a highlight where none would have existed. You still need lights to add each specular highlight, the specularity map only blocks some of them in the dark areas.

Is one of those on the right track?

-jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.