PDA

View Full Version : Unwrapping Suggestions

Oniram
11-12-2007, 01:16 PM
so ive been working on this bug-lookin dude and am unsure on how to go about unwrapping him. essentially he is only about 1000 polys with a symetry modifier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/Oniram/models/untitled-1.jpg

here he is with the symetry modifier.. subdivision applied and tesselated.. giving him about 25,000 polys. so here is the question. should i unwrap him as is (in the picture), or take off all the smoothing and tesselating and the symetry and do it. also, which would give me a better result, pelt mapping (as the only one i am used to) or something different?

JYoung
11-12-2007, 01:25 PM
If it's a game asset, you're not going to apply a smooth modifier, only smoothing groups. Pelt mapping should be fine.

Also, I have no idea what it's supposed to be. Do you have a concept to show? You might want to go back and revisit the design.

Oniram
11-12-2007, 01:28 PM
well its just an experiment. there was no concept. i was going for a buggish looking creature.

AoB
11-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Are u planning on normal mapping it? if ur making a low poly guy, u could unwrap just half of him ( no mesh smooth), and then texture that half, add ur symetry and hey presto. if ur normal mapping him, unwrap the full model with NO mesh smooth, then go about making ur high poly guy

Oniram
11-12-2007, 02:25 PM
i probably was going to be normal mapping.

now a question though. if i have the basic mesh.. no subdivision, no meshsmooth, just smoothing groups.. and i normal map it, will it still have the same end result look as the high poly mesh? or will the edges still be a bit hard?

AoB
11-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Its should look as good as you make the High poly model, thats if everyting runs smooth 4 u

iLegacy
11-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Use your lowpoly geometry (without mesh-smooth etc) for the uv layout! You will see, that the uv layout will look good too after smoothing the mesh. The edges of the "lowpoly" uvshell will not (or just a bit) change after smoothing and you will have a better performance during the uv layout process if you use the low poly uvs.

Ghostscape
11-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Why would you unwrap the high poly?

You only have to unwrap the low poly for baking normals.

Although if you're just using turbosmooth on your low poly to get a "high poly" it's not going to fit the low poly very well and give you crappy normals.

iLegacy
11-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Mapping the highpoly can be usefull if you like to add mor detail but max can't because of performance issue. The you can add UVs to the highpoly, import the highpoly into zbrush, add detail in zbrush, calculate a normal map --> back to max, lay the normalmap on your highpoly, grab your lowpoly and calculate the normal map.
Now max will drop the normal information of your highpoly AND the normal information out of the normal map ON the highpoly into your new normal map.

Works great for extrem details can't modelled in max. But also, it's better to modell a lowpoly, uv it, smooth the mesh and then export it to zbrush.

iLegacy
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
sorry for double posting - my browser is sucking...

JuddWack
11-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Cool character. If I were you I'd skip out on the normal map this time around. It seems like your still busy tackling some of the more basic concepts. Just lay half of him out on the UV map and use the symetry modifier.

4 uv elements on a 512 sheet would probably do it.
1 - Head and Neck
2- Chest, waist and pelvic area
3- Arm
4 - Leg

PredatorGSR
11-12-2007, 11:51 PM
No, the low poly normal mapped will not look at good as the high poly. Normal mapping is hard to get right, but once you get it, you can make your low poly look close to the high poly, but it is never quite as good as the high poly. For one thing, your silhouette will still be low poly.

Normal mapping is a whole 'nother can of worms, once you figure it out you will learn how to model to maximize the normal map benefits. As another poster mentioned, you are just starting out, so focus on your modeling and don't worry about normal mapping right now.

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2007, 11:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.