PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding scale

hansedr
11-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Hello everyone,
I am currently working on creating a low-mid range city block and I am having issues/questions regarding scale. I am currently working in meters and I have changed my camera attrb's in all viewports but it seems like maya 7 (or maybe my video card) is having issues working in this size. I guess my question is, can you create your own scale? For example, can I say that 10 centimeters is equal to 1 meter instead of 100 centimeters? It's not much but here is what I have so far (in meters). Each poly is 4x4 meters:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2854/screenshotbf6.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotbf6.jpg)

rybeck
11-12-2007, 03:13 PM
...I am currently working in meters and I have changed my camera attrb's in all viewports but it seems like maya 7 (or maybe my video card) is having issues working in this size. ...

Can you give specific examples of the problem you have? (i.e. part of your model disappeared etc...)

...can I say that 10 centimeters is equal to 1 meter instead of 100 centimeters? It's not much but here is what I have so far (in meters). Each poly is 4x4 meters:

I assumed you want to increase grid division (# of grid disaplyed). Open grid options, and change the 'Size' section accordingly. I'd like to keep it simple. Assign all with value of "1" which will be equivalent to your working unit. Then play with 'Grid lines every.' (i.e. '0.1' will be 1/10 of your working unit, '0.01' will be 1/100 and so on...)

Hope this helps...

JK

psychojohno
11-12-2007, 03:15 PM
have you changed the far clip plane?

Select the camer. Open the attribute editor scroll down to far clip plane and enter loads of zeros after the first number.

What issues are you haveing, maya cutting objects of that a too far away?

hansedr
11-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Thank you for the answer everyone. I have changed the camera attrb's (forgot to mention, sorry) however when I create a 20 story building (approx. 72 meters), the edges fail to render in the persp view and they become transparent (w/default lambert shader). It's hard to see in the screenshot. Also, the front viewport is not showing the Traffic light and poles (?) but the camera attrb's are setup the same as the other viewports. But if i scale to centimeters, everything seems to work ok.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6885/screenshot1xy6.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1xy6.jpg)

rybeck
11-12-2007, 04:32 PM
So, which camera attribute(s) has been adjusted?
More specific your question, easier to help with your problem. :)

Try brand new material on entire model. Default lambert may cause transparency issue.
"Delete history," after new material is applied.

hansedr
11-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Sorry, the near & far clip plane have been changed (.001-near,2000000-far). I deleted all history and I just tried the blinn shader on the box and it updated in all the viewports but persp. I think my video card may have issues (ATI Radeon X1300). I downloaded the latest drivers but no luck. I'll keep playing around with it. Thanks for all the help everyone!

HughieDM
11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
You need to selcet your "front" camera and move it back in the sean.
click menu "view" in the front view select camera then select your move tool and move it back in the top view untill you can see all that you want too
also change your near clip to .003 I find that to work best

hope that helps good luck
Hugh

PredatorGSR
11-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Maya does have problems with extreme scale. I was working at an internship where everything was a huge scale, and it had those problems you are talking about. There are a couple things you can do to reduce the effects. Open your camera, and uncheck the "Auto Render Clip Plane" box. Then you should set your camera clip planes to be as accurate as possible. Change your near and far clip planes to only be as big or as small as you need to avoid objects disappearing. The viewport and render views work better with smaller spreads.

Those are the two solutions I found to reduce the issue as much as possible. For future reference though, you should try to keep things at normal scale, because the renderers and some tools were designed around normal scale, and won't work very well at extreme scales.

hansedr
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Very cool info. So is normal scale the default scale? This is all new to me. Thanks

psychojohno
11-13-2007, 06:36 PM
do not adjust the near clip just the far clip, thats what works for me!

Gephoria
11-13-2007, 07:43 PM
my thing with scale, is it depends what engine your using, weather it's unreal 2, 3, torque, source, it's all engine specific in my eyes, as for scale in maya i don't know much about

from what i gather your having clipping viewport planes, but i figure i'll post this because it's always good to keep in mind the engine specs

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2007, 07:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.