PDA

View Full Version : joint chains off a deformer?

Chowda
11-12-2007, 07:32 AM
So I'm rigging a fish... and I've got his main movement controlled by different bend deformers, which works great. I tried using a really complicated joint system, but it was just too complicated. The problem is that I want to rig his fins with joints and IK like normal. Except, when I deform the body, none of the root joints move with it.

Its almost like just using a bend deformer for a spine, but still rigging the arms with joint chains.

I tried using geometry, point, and parent constraints, but nothing helped.

Any input?

Tripple-I
11-12-2007, 10:27 AM
make sure the joints are applied before the deformation. right click on the model goto all inputs and middle mouse drag the deformer the the right position.

anthonymcgrath
11-12-2007, 02:10 PM
nice little cheat if you dont want to faff with inputs etc may be to put a nurbs plane in the middle of the fish then use the rivet script to put two locators on that plane wherever you want. If you link up the nurbs plane to the bend deformers so you get the same deformation on the nurbsplane as you do on the fish you should see that the locators keep their relationship to the deforming surface. Now you can attach joint chains to these locators and they should shift about correctly?

just thinkin on me feet here lol

Chowda
11-12-2007, 06:46 PM
That rivet script looks like the best course of action right now. Its going to take some work.

I tried messing with the inputs, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks guys.

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2007, 06:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.