PDA

View Full Version : unrealed 2k4 missing package help!

VaultBoy
11-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Hey all, i have designed a level for an fps for uni and i am putting it into ut2k4 (possibly ut3), the problem started after i imported my initial tests.

i made a room, textured and that worked, i made some stairs, they also worked. i moved onto a block map of the hole map with a skybox - that too worked with the exeption of a texture file (.tga) not working, after changing the texture to a differnt one it was fine.

but now i am unable to test any new maps i make, i am using maya 8.0 (used 8.5 too and also worked) everything loads up in unrealed yet when i build and go and "play" the packages wont load... i tried it again in university and it had the same problem, i then tried on a tutors laptop and it failed again. surly its my fault but i cant see where i am going wrong. any help would be great.

(misc info, at the time of this i am testing with a large cube with a texture applied just to get it working, the normals are facing the right way and the cube is triangulated, i am testing to see if its the textures being saved at 32-bit or 24-bit thats the problem)

Gamedev
11-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Is your map and texture packaged named the same thing? Unreal does not use the file extensions, so they'll need to be named uniquely. Simple tags works, such Level_p for package and Level_m for maps.

VaultBoy
11-12-2007, 03:29 AM
Is your map and texture packaged named the same thing? Unreal does not use the file extensions, so they'll need to be named uniquely. Simple tags works, such Level_p for package and Level_m for maps.

its amazing after a week of trying to work it out i did it... first the .tga needs to be 24-bit not 32 and they need to be saved into the mylevel package...well, that seems to make it work anyways :P

thanks for the responce so soon after op

Gamedev
11-12-2007, 03:56 AM
32 bit targas are fine - you usually only use them if you need an alpha channel in your texture. The MyLevel package is simply saving your assets and map into the same file. It doesn't need to be done this way however.

Glad its working.

VaultBoy
11-12-2007, 03:59 AM
32 bit targas are fine - you usually only use them if you need an alpha channel in your texture. The MyLevel package is simply saving your assets and map into the same file. It doesn't need to be done this way however.

Glad its working.

hmmm, then i am still confussed then lol, i remember i was able to save under a differnt name last time, and i made sure they were in the same package... and when i did the 32bit they wouldnt load... same at uni too... not sure why it is, but as long as it works i am happy - for the time being it allows me to work :D

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2007, 03:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.