PDA

View Full Version : live selection to vertex map?

sketchbook
11-12-2007, 12:03 AM
any way to do this? painting on the vertex map is too slow with a comples mesh

thanks

danb
11-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Use the brush tool and set it to paint.

danb
11-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Sorry hit reply before finishing.

You may not be able to speed up editor speed when painting vertex maps, or any other maps for that matter.

The way i do it is to just select the polygons i need to paint and hide the rest. Its slow but it works good.

danb
11-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Jeez i must be overly tired or something. :(

Select your points and go into selection then set vertex weight.

sketchbook
11-12-2007, 12:52 AM
yeah, i had my selection all set using soft selection and got it all setup with falloff, etc, but when i went and set it to vertex map, the soft selection sections did not translate.

hence my problem.

danb
11-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Setup your selection tags for points like i said above. The soft selections will not be set, but there is a quick work around.

Then set the vertex weight, like above, then go into brush in point mode and set brush to blur and blur the edges.

sketchbook
11-12-2007, 01:47 AM
hmm,

are you saying that the brush tool works in vertex mode? that's cool if so.

thanks

danb
11-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Yup that's what i'm saying. :)

In brush mode you can paint vertex maps and blur their edges. Its might handy indeed.

I still use claude bonet though. I'm old school!! :)

LucentDreams
11-12-2007, 06:02 AM
the live selection too has a paint mode its pretty basic and can get slow.

The brush tool has a vertex paint mode thats crappy but has some more falloff

In 10.5 not sure if its core or in mocca there is the paint tool it has symmetry painting, tonnes of modes including remap and can work in surface or projection modes and is really fast. Its the ultimate way to go if you have it.

sketchbook
11-12-2007, 08:26 AM
i have all the modules so i will have to check into this. thanks kai!

sketchbook
11-12-2007, 05:47 PM
hey kai, were you referring to the symmetry brush for the hair module?

LucentDreams
11-12-2007, 06:30 PM
nope. I use my names carefully its called paint tool, its in the character menu. again only in 10.5 and I'm not sure if its part of core or mocca, but if you have 10.5 and mocca than it will be there. its completely identical to the weight tool but works on vertex maps.

danb
11-13-2007, 01:08 AM
nope. I use my names carefully its called paint tool, its in the character menu. again only in 10.5 and I'm not sure if its part of core or mocca, but if you have 10.5 and mocca than it will be there. its completely identical to the weight tool but works on vertex maps.

I dont have 10.5. Does that work on point number or point position?

Say my character is not symetrical but has the same amount of points on each side, like if i had some clothing that i pulled points around to create creases. Would the paint tool work for creating maps for points that are actually not symmetrical?

LucentDreams
11-13-2007, 08:48 AM
its based on a search distance. It can use local or world axis planes, or you can also use a custom plane by linking an object to the custom link slot, but while you may have the mirror plane you want if points iwll only be symmetrical is there is a big enough search distance.

danb
11-13-2007, 05:19 PM
its based on a search distance. It can use local or world axis planes, or you can also use a custom plane by linking an object to the custom link slot, but while you may have the mirror plane you want if points iwll only be symmetrical is there is a big enough search distance.

Very cool!! Thank you.

sketchbook
11-14-2007, 01:56 AM
holy nut ball!

that paint tool is absolutely amazing fast and wicked sweet.

thanks kai!

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2007, 01:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.