PDA

View Full Version : Strange Afterburn problem :(

Vall
11-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Hello! I'm experiencing a strange Afterburn problem sinca a couple of days.. And I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. Here's a test render:

http://greenheaven.pl/boo.jpg

(Yeah, there were supposed to be clouds there... :( )
I checked a 1000 times with the lights, shadow parameters and reseted Afterburn settings.. I also tried restarting 3ds Max, closing Afterburn, Enviroment windows and so on..

Anyone has got a clue please? Anything that could help, or where to look for the bug/bad setting ?

Cheers and thanks in advance.
V.

JohnnyRandom
11-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Seriously just a huge guess (since you didn't mention what renderer + AB settings you are using)

I have had similar issues with Vray and afterburn shadows with "shadow receive" ticked, when I use an object+volume as my particle emitter. For some reason vray "sees" the object and decides to cast shadows from it even though it is a non-renderable object.

Vall
11-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks a lot for the clue... I use the scanline renderer (due to do lack of Vray and finalrender), so I believe it's not the problem... I managed to partially solve it (though I do not know how?):

1. Change shadow type to Octane Shader
2. Change the seed of the particles and the noise in Afterburn settings
3. Tick the 'self shadows' and 'recieve shadows' off!
4. Save settings
5. Restart 3ds max
6. Render... OK!
7. Change the settings back to the previous ones
8. Render... OK!

That did it (at least this time). If someone came along a similiar post please write here what did you do to fix it. I still don't know what I did wrong.

And thanks a lot for the help JohnnyRandom :)

Cheers
V.

JohnnyRandom
11-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Cool :thumbsup:, glad you got it working:)

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2007, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.