PDA

View Full Version : Boot Loader Advice - Can Anyone Help?

mixermanic
11-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi guys,

Working on the basis that my motherboard issue will not get sorted out because ASUS is annoying :rolleyes: can anyone recommend a good boot loader/manager, and also answer a couple of questions I have?

I am willing to pay for it, so freeware is not essential.

Basically I want to have a couple of hard disks as my OS install disks, but for every OS, I want the system partition to appear as "C:\" (or whatever the Linux equivalent is), and ALL the other partitions on those disks to be hidden from the booted OS.

My plan is to have the following installations:
- CG & Graphics (XP Pro x64 Edition SP2)
- Massive & Maya Workstation (Red Hat Enterprise 5)
- Music Production (XP Pro SP2)
- Music Live Performance (XP Pro SP2)
- Application Development (Vista Ultimate)
- Game Test (Vista Ultimate)

The problem I can foresee is that when I go to install one of the new OS's, the boot manager will be bypassed, so it won't necessarily be installed as "C:\". How does one get around this? If I want to add another OS at any point, I would like to just be able to use Ghost to clone a base install backup image of the OS with all my drivers and basic software loaded - this image will be "C:\".

I have Acronis Disk Director 10 already, which comes with OS Loader, but as Acronis DD and True Image do not recognise my motherboard's chipset, and tells me there are no disks in my system, I have no confidence that OS Loader will function correctly...

Many thanks,

Martin

philhoole
11-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I use Bootit from www.terabyteunlimited.com. This can do all you want. You don't bypass it to install each OS. There are tutorials on the web site for most OS's.

All my OS installations are 'C:' and other partitions can be set to be visible or not from others. Bootit allows up to 256 bootable active partitions.

You don't even need to use Ghost to clone a base installation - Cloning partitions is built in.

Can't recommend it enough. Trial version available too.

mixermanic
11-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Thank you! I will give it a look.

My mobo problems are (sort of) sorted, but I still think I'm going to use a boot loader - I have no need for a 250GB system partition :)

Thanks,

Martin

singularity2006
11-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I didn't have a lot of luck using boot loaders when I laerned Linux, but from what I read, Super GRUB is a really good loader if u want to try that one ...

lots
11-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Of the main linux bootloaders out there Grub is my favorite. Very simple to use.. Just install it to the MBR of your primary hard drive and then in your boot partition (just a small normal partition really :P) set up your menu config in a text file.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2007, 03:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.