PDA

View Full Version : Are you curious on which Mac, Painter X runs the fastest?...

Tim3308
11-10-2007, 09:21 PM
... wonder no more, and he hits Painter's developers square in the nose w/ this statement:

"Yes, after ten major revisions, Painter still doesn't know how to use multiple cores. So much for the "unparalleled performance" of "the world's most powerful Natural-Media painting and illustration software."

When is Painter gonna go multiple core? It's a bit overdue, eh?(Canadian translation)

Anyway, I thought fellow mac users here would find this helpful/interesting as it revealed to me why Painter X w/ an image (especially when containing several layers) can at times really, really suck on my RAM loaded G5 (he also compares it to Photoshop speeds for point of reference): "SHOOTOUT: Painter X on Three Macs"...

http://www.barefeats.com/painter.html

yashrg
12-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Doesn't make much sense... how come opening the document was the fastest on 2.8 ghz Imac and not the mac pro and power mac? something's fishy.

Steve Green
12-21-2007, 11:21 AM
I was just thinking about this today - now that quad cores are so cheap I would love to see Corel put some effort into making more of it multithreaded.

Maybe it's one of those apps that is tough to make good use of multithreading?

- Steve

theCloudmover
01-12-2008, 07:01 AM
I find this information quite sad.

Multi-core machines are very common these days and there is no reason that Corel Painter shouldn't take advantage of the current technology.

I hope that the techies at Corel fix this deficiency quickly. It affects windows users and Mac users alike.

Tim3308
01-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Ain't it, though, Cloudmover....uhh considering Apple's new towers (hit this past week) now ALL feature 8 cores (and I have one on order). Your are right, this is Macs and PCs.

I know I suffer when using large layered files in Painter (virtually everything in the app slooowwwss wayyy doowwwn) -- my goal, while working is too get rid of the layers as fast as I can. It shouldn't be that way for "the world's most powerful Natural-Media painting and illustration software" & "unparalleled performance."

I hope the suggestion box for multi core support (heck, we'll take just two core support, at this point) at Corel is being stuffed w/ this request for Painter XI, or better yet Corel has it as priority #1 for the new version. They got this baby running pretty darn stable now, now it's time to "run w/ the big dogs" who have gotten a long way now "from the porch" that Painter is still "lying on".

I suspect it will still be a good while before Painter XI, dare we hope for a patch for multi core?

Giotto-san
02-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm using a 200 gig LaCie external firewire drive for my memory and scratch disk. This seems to have solved the problem. I had to set the location of the LaCie in Painter preferences.

tedpainter
02-19-2008, 03:53 PM
I know I suffer when using large layered files in Painter (virtually everything in the app slooowwwss wayyy doowwwn) -- my goal, while working is too get rid of the layers as fast as I can. It shouldn't be that way for "the world's most powerful Natural-Media painting and illustration software" & "unparalleled performance."

I suspect it will still be a good while before Painter XI, dare we hope for a patch for multi core?

It may be a good while before the folks at Corel bother to listen to their customer artists I suspect! I've been complaining to them for years to stop introducing more "stuff" and just work to make the program run better. So far though it's just been more "stuff". They run a big marketing campaign to convince us that this is the best yet, rather than actually "make" it the best yet.
Good thing they allow a trial version to be run. We might buy this crap unsuspecting otherwise!

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2008, 03:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.