PDA

View Full Version : Monster Fight, Brasshorse (2D)

brasshorse
04-14-2003, 01:16 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/19951/monsterfight_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/19951/monsterfight.jpg)

Hi everyone :). Here's a sort of different piece from me. I usually do static concept art, so this was really fun as a change of pace. Got to use some old storyboarding techniques for thumbnails. Anyhow, let me know what you think. Thanks!

Pencils, then ink, then colored in PS7 with a mouse.

Pencils (http://www.sleepisevil.com/eatpoo/monsterfight_pencils02.JPG)

-aaron

stephen2002
04-14-2003, 01:26 PM
looks good, very "in motion". The creatures are very nasty and blobbly. I can't find anything really wrong with it.

Supervlieg
04-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Excellent inking and coloring!

Great display of talent. :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Savage_Henry
04-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Aaron

Your style rocks man!!
Glad to see you've made the front page...AGAIN!!:thumbsup:

logotomie
04-14-2003, 01:50 PM
I really really like the ink work.!!

And the rest is very cool too!

lmc
04-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Really good work.....hmm, overall nice, just the colour, for me its is too light.....hehe:p

PCollier
04-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Brasshorse this is brilliant! I love his eerie 3 little eye's gives it a kind of insect edge along with the viscious carnivore thing going on :D I can't believe you coloured it with a mouse either, anything I try and colour with a mouse looks like I was three and tried to scribble with my left hand.

Good job :applause:

paintbox
04-14-2003, 01:57 PM
I like how you painted it, very loose as if a watercolour.

Good :)

Tottebias
04-14-2003, 02:07 PM
Looks like Chaos spawns. Very cool.

JohnD
04-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Awesome work.

mage111
04-14-2003, 02:42 PM
damn aaron i love that style, its just crazy, reminds me of the cartoons i used to watch on TV as a kid... or Godzilla cartoon bout 5+yrs or so ago,

thats just badass
welldone!

bostondv
04-14-2003, 02:43 PM
awesome work!:buttrock:

love the composition and colour!

Teyon
04-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Excellent work Arron! Fluid movement and composition...my only gripe is that it's not as detailed as most of your work. :( Still, beggars can't be choosers. Top notch!:thumbsup:

Jon Jones
04-14-2003, 03:31 PM
Very cool work, man, really attractive. I can't believe it but you're getting better all the time. Inspiring as usual, keep it up!! :)

MonkeyNinja
04-14-2003, 04:00 PM
Looks like a nasty turf-war on Dagobah :thumbsup:

Nikodemus
04-14-2003, 04:01 PM
:applause:
looks great !

Neil
04-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Love it man!

One question (because your line quality rocks): Did you do all lines by hand, or was it a mixture of digital and scanned? Also, did you just scan it well enough that you could select the white and delete it... b/c i don't see any jaggys left around the black lines that would indicate masking and deleting.

fellipe
04-14-2003, 05:48 PM
BITCH!

:buttrock:

The Magic Pen
04-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Nice ! :airguitar

Gotham
04-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Nice style you have!

Vash T Stampede
04-14-2003, 08:02 PM
the Left one Looks like a Rancor..

Great job:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ZVAN
04-14-2003, 08:05 PM
good style with the outlined.. inking.. cooL! >):thumbsup:

Nick Unden
04-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Hey nice work man! Keeping busy?!

How about next time a cute bunny, or a pretty flower??!

:cool:

jdiddio
04-14-2003, 08:42 PM
looks good brasshorse, nice design and still simple and effective, especially the composition.

The only thing that bugged me was on the colouring. For the monster on the left , you can really see the bulky brush you used for detail. You might want to switch to smaller sizes. It kinda breaks the movement to see these bulky brush swipes on him. keep it up

Kain
04-14-2003, 11:37 PM
Brilliant!. I love it, mainly that similar finish to the watercolor that you have given him. As you have been able to give him that aspect with PS7? I recommend you that you prove Painter, I believe that you will like.:beer:

Alevice
04-14-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Love it man!

One question (because your line quality rocks): Did you do all lines by hand, or was it a mixture of digital and scanned? Also, did you just scan it well enough that you could select the white and delete it... b/c i don't see any jaggys left around the black lines that would indicate masking and deleting.

He probably made a new layer from the outline and put it in substract mode over the colors layer(s). Substract mode makes that it shows only the darkest areas of the layers (in this case the outline, anything white wont be shown.

Thats how i color, so i assume that. Btw, i also color with mouse. not even half close of his quality, but you can do very good stuff with it.

Kain
04-15-2003, 12:04 AM
A very good work, without a doubt. I like a lot the color contrast that you used to stand out the characters on the bottom, using warm colors and colds. But personally I believe that he maybe lacks something of volume. You could use but the target to accentuate the forms. Alone it is an opinion. Anyway it is a very good image.:airguitar

Kieguy
04-15-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Alevice
He probably made a new layer from the outline and put it in substract mode over the colors layer(s). Substract mode makes that it shows only the darkest areas of the layers (in this case the outline, anything white wont be shown.

Thats how i color, so i assume that. Btw, i also color with mouse. not even half close of his quality, but you can do very good stuff with it.

Multiply mode also works well, some would say the best. If Subtract works for ya, by all means, use that. You can also then Lock that ink line layer so you don't accidentally move it around (you shouldn't even be selecting it, but just in case).

Great stuff, BTW! Nice action, colors and linework; fearsome critters they be. Yarrr!

ironbearxl
04-15-2003, 03:17 AM
sweet sassy mollassey, nice work, great pen lines and coloring, keep up the good work.

Charlee
04-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Great work, wonderfull conceptart on your site. Great!!

DigiLusionist
04-15-2003, 08:30 AM
If I had twenty artists who could do this exact style and quality, I'd have a kick ass card game. Keep the great work! You are very talented.

brasshorse
04-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Wow, thanks for the great feedback, everyone. I had a lot of fun doing this, and it's great to have such a positive response.

Actually, I isolate my lineart differently than any of the methods described here...it's my magical secret. Heh, naw, I just tought myself a certain way to do it...I'll explain it to you if you drop me an e-mail.

Nick, I'll draw a fluffy kitten just for you ..maybe. Sign onto MSN.

Anyhow, thanks again for the feedback, folks. Always greatly appreciated.

-aaron

Neil
04-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Alevice: Very true, forgot about that... thanks!

Alevice
04-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by brasshorse
Actually, I isolate my lineart differently than any of the methods described here...it's my magical secret. Heh, naw, I just tought myself a certain way to do it...I'll explain it to you if you drop me an e-mail.

Hmm...how would that be?

Kieguy: I use substract because it makes the lineart much stronger. Not that a not-so strong lineart would not work, its just that i like that way better. And i have not to worry if i accidentally move the lineart layer, since i keep the origianl lineart in the bg.

Neil: you are welcome.

brittnell
04-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Hey Brasshorse,
AWESOME work! I really dig it...
By the way, Derek T. (Monster) is a friend of mine :D
When I first saw your work, I immediately thought of him (as in, "Oh shit, Derek is gonna dig this!"), then I saw you had a link to him on your site... Cool!
Have you talked to him at all? I could see you guys doing a killer collab... :lightbulb
Keep on rockin' in the free world!
:buttrock:
Ps. Yeah, I'd be into checking out your "Ancient Chinese Secret" line technique...

brasshorse
04-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Thanks again, guys. It's kind of hard to explain the lineart isolation..I'll write it up sometime. At the moment I'm pretty busy.

brittnell - Seriously? That's awesome..yea, I've been a huge fan of Derek for a long time now. I haven't talked to him at all, though...:shrug:
If I had the chance to do a collab with him, I'd jump on it in a second. <-- notice the italics.
I'm actually in the process of getting my site renovated, so in a short while it'll have more goodness, and some juicy new monsters. YAY

Ok, time to stop bumping this thread around. Hehe..

thanks again

warhead
04-16-2003, 01:27 AM
Wow, that pic rockz man! :buttrock:
I like that style. Reminds me on my comicbooks.

Greetz

lildragon
04-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Aaron man, your style is very consistent and very "you" as always I love the line work and the color pallete and this new action thing you're doing here looks good on ya ;)

Please be sure to enter this into Expose http://www.cgtalk.com/expose you definitely have a chance

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Inspiring work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_apr03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Kain
04-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Congratulations

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.