PDA

View Full Version : Kingfisher Cockpit, A.baldasseroni (3D)

Baldasseroni
04-14-2003, 12:26 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/7988/Kingfisher_cockpit_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/7988/Kingfisher_cockpit.jpg)

Hi, i finished to model this cockpit for some close camera shots in the Marco Spitoni's Code Guardian short film. at http://www.cee-gee.net you can download the teaser trailer.
Any comments, suggestions, critiques are more than welcomed :)

P.S. done in max 5.1, boxmodelling, default scanline rendering plus minor touches in PS.

http://www.eklettica.com/images/artworks/clouds.jpg
http://www.eklettica.com/images/artworks/clouds2.jpg
http://www.eklettica.com/images/artworks/clouds3.jpg

Regards, Ale

Howzat
04-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Wow, very impressive!
Nothing to crit from me :applause:

Can we see a wireframe?

rrobert
04-14-2003, 12:28 PM
XTREME nice texturing!! :buttrock:

A lot of work I think ?? :thumbsup:

teh fury
04-14-2003, 12:40 PM
Really awesome.. great texturing aswell..
love the baseball and the picture next to it :)

Vash T Stampede
04-14-2003, 01:17 PM
eep :eek:

Frank Dodd
04-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Terrific piece of work, this is the type of thing I always have trouble with, there is a colossal amount of detail in there and its beautifully formed. The only thing that looks a little odd to me is the baseball, it seams to be held in by magic!

Terrific piece of work, well done!

Daniel
04-14-2003, 01:45 PM
WOW! Very much detail!!!
...long time reasearch? ;)

Hmm, the texture on the body looks a litle like plaster, because of the litle white dots (noise?).

How about some deep sharp scratches and some rust? :)

Cya.

Toxez
04-14-2003, 01:48 PM
Good amount of detail you got there, great work!

Supervlieg
04-14-2003, 02:35 PM
Whoa, excellent! Is there more modelled of the plane

mmiller
04-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Impressive :thumbsup:
detail and texturing are obviously excelent.

But, what I like the best is the overall "feel"
It looks more like an illustration than a photograph.
that's a good thing in my book :applause:

Mark

raden
04-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Ale,

You know how good you are so I dont need to ohh aaah you more:cool: One crit would be the glass, it looks as if its so thin.

Some questions:
1. This mechanical retro style is it more yours or Guardian project?
I supposed it's yours since it also shown in your little boy with pilot jacket, but then I have seen your sleek anime style mech.
2. Could you share me any reference sources for this kind of thing? (retro aviation, vehicles, uniform etc). Any links or books should I check out?

Thanks
:beer:

:/me axiously waiting for the anim

Shady_Lady
04-14-2003, 05:25 PM
This is the first time I've seen the cockpit done in such high level of detail.....wicked!:applause:

SimonReeves
04-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Great stuff as always :thumbsup:

CEE-GEE
04-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Hi Raden,
Ale suggested me to answer you about your last reply, since I'm the creator of the "Code Guardian" project.

Actually Alessandro is giving me a great help in doing models for this short movie project.
He already made a lot of great stuff which was really helpful so far in adding detail and richness to my scenes.
The retro style is something directly related to this project, which recalls the old war movies. By the way this latest work from him is quite a faithful reproduction of a real WWII airplane cockpit, altough I do prefer to don't give too much restrictions about historical references. But my goal is to achieve a believeable historical context, despite the action or sci-fi movie style.
I think that it's much more stimulating.
If you haven't seen the "Code Guardian" trailer yet, you can download it from here:

http://www.cee-gee.net/Movies/Download/CG_Trailer_DivX.avi

By the way, the little kid pilot, is a free combination of two works, done in two separate context.
Since Alessandro is the maker of the cockpit, he's free to use it for his gallery of course, but the cockpit and that character won't be in "Code Guardian" together.

About reference sources, we are finding almost everything we need in the Internet.

I get once time the chance to thank Alessandro for his great help.

:applause:

Neil
04-14-2003, 06:43 PM
Are you the same person who posted the guardian military base with the jeep and big crane and stuff?
I wasn't sure if Guardian was a 1 man project, or if you are a member of the project.

Also, the baseball looks smashed in the cockpit view pic.

HADES
04-14-2003, 06:48 PM
really nice work l love the plane interior.........only one thing look wierd is the specular of metal and plastic and leather stuff maybe oyu have to check those thing exeptthat amzing

CEE-GEE
04-14-2003, 06:51 PM
Alessandro is a member of a crew of 4 artists.
I'm the lead artist and owner of the project, but I'm mostly working on "Code Guardian" by myself.

The other artists, including Alessandro (yes he did the truck, cranes and other stuff), are creating human characters, vehicles, ect.
This time I needed much more material and help than my previous project "The Hunt", on which I worked almost all by myself. Organic characters were created and animated by Giovanni Bianchin, another member of the actual project crew.

Cheers

ThirdEye
04-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Ale: great work as usual, unbelievable love for details and great accuracy in the modeling process, you'd deserve 10 stars if it was possible, i hope 5 is enough ;)

Marco CEE-GEE: ottimo lavoro finora, spero di vedere il lavoro finito il pił presto possibile :)

ostov
04-14-2003, 07:47 PM
Jabba dabba du!! That is great stuff man :beer:
I like the detail, but where is the rest of it?

ostov

Chaos Maximus
04-14-2003, 07:52 PM
amazing job, only crit, glass is invisable in the 3d crit, mabey some dirt or glare or somthing, there are no refletions what so ever. keep it up, amazing work.

chaos

BnE
04-14-2003, 07:53 PM
really kool... but maybe some things in the cockpit are too clean compared to the exterior.... excuse my english... but it's great...

jscott
04-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Looks pretty darn good. Like Hades said it looks like you are missing specular maps. The spec hilight is too strong and perfect.

Quite a modeling accomplishment. Keep up the good work.

-jscott

chlywly
04-14-2003, 08:15 PM
No gun reticle?

ZVAN
04-14-2003, 09:04 PM
:applause: very detailed model! bravo!

thx1138
04-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Absolute top notch !!! And very original too. Is there a complete model or just the cockpit ?

Omita
04-14-2003, 09:34 PM
Love it.

|| EDIT ||

Hmmm.... I could have cried when I saw the Trailer... WHY OH WHY!?!?! Do we waste such good work on silly ideas with bad animation??? Sigh. I think the animator should do some more research on how planes fly... especially the King Fisher. Oh well... whatever floats your boat.

:)

mixed
04-14-2003, 09:37 PM
:eek: jeez the level of detail in this is great, awesome texturing and everything. how long did this take to render? anyways great work, teaser looks awesome..

SCIFI-3D-zoo
04-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Mmm... you and Marco are kicking butt on this project. I like the materials alot... the "cracked leather" around the dash, the rusty rudder peddles, the rust scratched worn paint job, the little extras like the photo of the wife :D and the bassball. The detailing is amazing too.

Excellent... anybody nitpicks slap em. :thumbsup:

Baldasseroni
04-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Woah, how many nice replies! thanks for the comments and for the first page too :bounce:

Here`s a couple of wires :

http://www.eklettica.com/kf_wire1.jpg

http://www.eklettica.com/kf_wire2.jpg

Thanks in special way to Marco Spitoni, for all the source material (textures, reference pics and model) he gave me, hope he will find time to post his wonderful Corsair cockpit (do u listen me? ;)) because it has been a great source of inspiration for me.
And here`s the complete Kingfisher model done by Giovanni Bianchin,the "historic consultant" :P

http://space.virgilio.it/giobianco1@tin.it/pictures/2.jpg

The whole model took about three months to be finished, and it tooks about 6 minutes to render...

cheers, Ale

Web Guy
04-14-2003, 11:07 PM
What's up with the odd looking baseball in the left hand corner of the cock pit? Why does it look all smashed and such? Other wise it looks great!!

stephen2002
04-14-2003, 11:08 PM
Looks great, excellent amount of detail! I notice you even did the little wires around in the back :)

The dash material seems just a little bit too specular in the one shot. And the baseball has got to go unless it is bolted in place. Wouldn't want that thing bouncing around the cockpit during some cornering and flipping switches or bashing you in the face.

robin
04-15-2003, 12:18 AM
Badass modeler you are

Wooow !!! great great work, do i smell material for a Tute ?

Dangeruss
04-15-2003, 01:40 AM
A stupid crit I know, but the rest is so nice... it's the baseball, it's too small. Compare it to the hand grip on the joystick. the baseball is only about three fingers in diameter. Pretty small.

Vladvrz
04-15-2003, 02:24 AM
All around very nice work.:thumbsup:

goodlag
04-15-2003, 02:31 AM
holy f... damn thats real looking.:applause:

pearson
04-15-2003, 04:32 AM
Great job! This looks really good! :applause:

My only crit is that the textures seem a little too worn. I think real wear and tear would be a little more subtle...:shrug:

smann
04-15-2003, 05:22 AM
It looks great but I want to give some crit other than, looks great.

This is mostly based on the center image, from inside the cockpit.

What caught my attention was that some items are aged and others look brand new. Mostly it was the things that I would expect the more wear that were clean and smooth.

the handle the buttons the window latches etc probably should be be worn down.
The pedals on the cockpit floor are rusty from rain and moisture and heavy boot work, yet the handles and buttons on the right are perfectly clean and smooth.
by the time the floor pedals rusted, those should have been worn down and that M worn off.
also the padding on the top of the dash may have cracked faded and peeled in the sun. OftenTimes this opens up and the foam underneath is burnt orange by the sun, and may have chunks out of it.
I would also add rust and paint chips/bubbles to the edges of the cockpit where the glass meets, ( that water had to get in there some how to rust the pedals.) show it!

When knobs are turned on metal they generally scrape away the paint, leaving the bare metal underneath. They look like arcs of silver underneath the knobs. Anything that moves or is touched leaves a history. I noticed in paticular the "stick" right where the hand would grip it, is has a nice even specular highlight, I would break this up and fade the paint around it. or at least make some destinction from parts that are worn by hand( somtimes polished by use) and parts that are less worn.

Unless the togglers were freshly painted with a can of 50% flat gray , I would spruce them up too, I would expect them to be more of a dulled bare metal. Maybe an anisotropic shader , or perhaps chipped of paint.

Ok so this is sounding a little heavy. I think it looks great and obviously its an excellent job. I just think it needs more, and some of these things I think detract from the whole.

keep up the awesome work.

just watched the trailer, terrific work.

btw: is the cow noiseMaker a tribute to the THX trailer or does it have other meaning?

robertp
04-15-2003, 06:51 AM
It looks like the pc game I-L2. Great job. I cant remember where I keep on seeing all your work on this guys project but keep it up. waiting to watch the trailer as I type.

Rob:D

JBoskma
04-15-2003, 07:27 AM
Great work man, I love the photo and baseball, heh :]

CEE-GEE
04-15-2003, 08:15 AM
The Moo-Moo Gizmo (the cow sound maker), actually is not a tribute to THX intro, but of course it's quite similar.
I have one of those gizmos on a shelf nearby my computer, and it was some kind of inspiration for me.
So now it's a sort of 'brand' to introduce my short movies, and more generally, my work. :p

sMileGraPhix
04-15-2003, 10:41 AM
Hi Ale!
really really great work! you are a master of PS and texturing! :buttrock:

nothing crit to me, this is your stile and i love it :beer:

bye! :love:

joconnell
04-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Yikes, reminds me of the type of detail I used to put into models before I got fat and lazy :) - Really nice work and a good example of how much difference the small details like modelled rivets and panels make - Only crit I have which has been mentioned before is that the windows are far too specular - they look quite plasticy compared to the rest - a bit of smudging and dirt would make a big difference.

Any chance you'd post some of the reference images or textures? I'd appreciate it as I'm doing some military stuff at the moment.

Great work.

nObedienz
04-15-2003, 04:23 PM
Some of the best textures I've ever seen..nuff said!

safakoner
04-15-2003, 04:36 PM
great job. nice cockpit. avionics are very good.

lildragon
04-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Everytime I see a post by you here in the gallery I know it's something to do with this awesome project you're working on. Just like the med truck your attention to detail and aging is really impressive. I'm not sure about all the plane type talk but I know what I see here is stellar. One thing, how the heck is that baseball going to stay put during barrel rolls and such? ;)

Please be sure to enter this into Expose http://www.cgtalk.com/expose you definitely have a chance

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Inspiring work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_apr03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

William GUiLE
04-16-2003, 12:00 PM
Great, great job as usual. The only thing I don't like very much is the baseball, but for the rest... drool!:drool:
I love the way you put light in your scenes... please explain how you do it!

:applause:

Baldasseroni
04-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
Everytime I see a post by you here in the gallery I know it's something to do with this awesome project you're working on. Just like the med truck your attention to detail and aging is really impressive. I'm not sure about all the plane type talk but I know what I see here is stellar. One thing, how the heck is that baseball going to stay put during barrel rolls and such? ;)

Please be sure to enter this into Expose http://www.cgtalk.com/expose you definitely have a chance

salud

Thanks LilDragon, i'm really honoured once again of being part of CGTalk gallery and i will submit something for sure to Expose , but i feel a bit embarassed because the models i submitted here are just a little (really micro) part of the Code Guardian project ,conceived and totally developed by a single man army who is Marco Spitoni.Me and other two artist are just giving our little modelling contribution, but everything else (the most part) of the things you can see in the trailer , (here's his latest one :

http://www.cee-gee.net/Movies/Downl...railer_DivX.avi

are totally modelled, textured and animated by Marco.So it's a sort of "reflected" popularity , but of course i'm glad about people liking my models(decontextualized), nobody dislikes compliments.
Just wanted to point this to avoid mistakes and to not take undeserved credits :)

Thanks again!

X William Guile : Grazie dei complimenti, riguardo la pallina da baseball vedra' Marco cosa fare (come sempre) :p

CEE-GEE
04-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Too modest... as always. :wise:

Ale is a very humble person, altought he proves everytime his impressive skills.
This makes him an excellent workmate, and again, it's a real pleasure to have the chance to work with him. :arteest:

khaleghi
04-20-2003, 08:45 PM
I like your artwork very much.
I have to tell u good job.

AutoG
04-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Eklettica

Veramente ottimo Ale! Complimenti.
Mamma mia ragazzi, com'e bella.

Automobili @ www.autografica.com

Nosalis
05-15-2003, 10:03 AM
Jo jsi fakt hodne dobrej. P.S. Opravdu nemam rad, kdyz nekdo pise svym rodnym jazykem, .. tomu pak asi vsichni rozumi, ze ?

facial
05-16-2003, 03:52 AM
Great job here, keep post up more.:airguitar

Phoric
05-16-2003, 05:29 AM
Very nice! I have seen lots of really cool stuff coming from 3ds MAX lately.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.