PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Entialias

joie
04-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Hi there;
Im tweaking antialias parameters in MR and Ive found its maximum limit, when the MAX antialias reach "8" MAYA closes without any warning, anyone knows why?, or is this a new "bug"...
Im starting to think YES, its a bug.

Help please!

Andrei2k
04-14-2003, 08:23 AM
I'm not really sure on how it works but i think that if its based on sampling maybe 8x8 sampling is the highest you can set it for.......:shrug:

stunndman
04-14-2003, 04:24 PM
the recommended setting for high quality renderings is 1,3 - i think anything beyond that is pretty much useless - at least the documentation indicates so

Note that while this option offers simple control of rendering quality, it is recommended to control quality with the contrast option, which allows much finer control and deals more gracefully with high-contrast cases where the samples option can leave aliasing due to the hard cutoff.

a maximum sample rate of 8 means that one (1) pixel would be sampled a maximum of 65536 times - if this is correct than that sounds pretty insane

joie
04-14-2003, 06:30 PM
May be Im using "force" instead of "mind", the reason why Im trying to set maximum level at 8 is because Im using DGS shader, and if I want blurry reflection to be smooth, I have to set up antialias in order to smooth the result. I would use "sampling overrides" in the atribute editor tab, but MR doesnt seem to undertand it.
Is there a way to improve the antialiasing level for that shader only?

Thanks in advance.

beaker
04-14-2003, 08:25 PM
There is "max sampling" in the shader. Turn up that number. I think the highest it can go is 32.

Ken Koala
04-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Try lowering the contrast from default (0.100) to 0.050
This will increase the render time f**k loads

I suggest min/max samples 1 & 4

Cheers digger
:beer:

joie
04-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Beaker, I think your answer must be right, but unfortunately, I cant find that atribute.
In DGS material are Difusse, shiny, IOR and things like that, but no sampling in that shader, may be Im searching for some hidden atribute?

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.