PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Eyebrows on a surface.

b.Schulz
04-14-2003, 04:13 AM
How would I go about rigging my characters eyebrows to the surface of their head. Kinda like BuzzLightyear for example?

Khaos
04-14-2003, 06:27 AM
This actually is not that hard to do. Just create seperate nurbs surfaces for the eyebrows, place them in the default position, and parent them to the head joint. Then all you need to do is set up some morph targets. It may not be the exact way that Pixar does it but the result can be quite good. Steven Stahlberg uses a similar method. :thumbsup:

b.Schulz
04-14-2003, 06:31 AM
what about if I want to move the actual geometry (muscle) underneath the "hair" part along with the shapes I create, so it looks as if it's connected to the skin? How will it follow the surface using this technique?? Or should I just make them together as part of the target shapes? (ie...make shapes for the skin....AND the eyebrows)

Thanks!

Khaos
04-14-2003, 06:59 AM
Well using Maya you could constrain the detached eyebrow to your mesh so its would be driven by morph-targets setup on the actual mesh. A geometry or normal constraint should work. Or you could setup morphs for both and use set driven key. The eyebrows can even penetrate the the mesh surface, its pretty easy to hide.

b.Schulz
04-14-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Khaos
you could constrain the detached eyebrow to your mesh so its would be driven by morph-targets setup on the actual mesh.

That sounds best....how could I do this? Just a simple geometry constraint?, then my nurbs eyebrow would follow the shape underneath? Thanks Again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.