PDA

View Full Version : One Animator feature film - Killer Bean Forever

Jeff Lew
11-08-2007, 03:54 AM
Hey Cgtalk folks,

It's been a long time since I've posted anything. I've been keeping quiet for some time now, and now I have some news. The past 4 years, I've been sitting at home working full time on my feature film directorial debut:

Killer Bean Forever - (http://www.killerbeanforever.com) (http://www.killerbeanforever.com/)

I'm in the final rendering stages right now. Currently it is 85 minutes long and rendered in HD 24p. Check out the trailer on my website.

:D
Jeff Lew

DogBreath
11-08-2007, 04:58 AM
Looks cool I like the way you improved the look and kept the originality as well. I hope it will be ready to watch while we are on Christmas holiday.I hope there will be interviews on CGTalk and a "making of " when you release it on DVD?

FloydBishop
11-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Wow! That's great. I've wondered about this project, as I remember you mentioning a longer format piece a while back.

Do you have any distribution plans in place?

RobertoOrtiz
11-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Great work!

Plugged.

-R
PS Thanks Floyd for the heads up!

Michael5188
11-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Wow, looks great! The animation really is solid, I am very impressed. Look forward to watching it! That took incredible determination and patience.

3DArtZ
11-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Killer Bean!!!

Rock and Roll, so good to see this next part of the project!

I really liked what you've shown us so far.

Looks like it is still being made with Animation:Master?

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com (http://www.3dartz.com)

DaddyMack
11-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Gave me goosebumps:bounce:

Great to see you taking your trademark franchise to the next level Jeff... You must be so excited right now... I know I am... Can't wait to see where you take this...

PS thanks, KB2 was what started me in 3d:bowdown:

TorbjornO
11-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Great job, I admire that you kept with it. A lot of people out there have talent and good ideas, but very few have the tenacity to follow through. Hats off.

cabertevon
11-08-2007, 06:26 AM
:bounce: Waiting is over. Congratulations Jeff.

dhruvsm
11-08-2007, 06:30 AM
hey jeff...great to see u back....and back with a bang!!!....this is looking amazing!!! as one of the amazing short movies, Killer Bean will always remain close to my heart, now nothing could be better and joyful than seeing it become a whole full lentgh feature!!!...bravo...to you and everybodys' efforts, hardworks, sweats and sleepless nights to bring this to reality!!!...and great to see the originality with a very improvised look!!!...all the best...!!!

can't wait to see this in complete!!!....and yah...5*!!!

respect!!!

Jeff Lew
11-08-2007, 06:45 AM
Wow! Thanks for the great response guys! I just want to drop a quick note right now, cause I have to set up some renders for tonight (mostly to create heat for the night. It's cold here!)

But yeah, Suhweet!!! Front page!! I don't think I ever got that before. Thank you Roberto and Floyd for that.

And also, I have to mention that Cgtalk's very own Von Caberte did much of the character design work and Killer Bean's car design. Thanks Von for the great work.

I'll try to answer some questions before I hit the sack, but I really need to get to some renders right now. I'll be back soon.

Jeff

DDS
11-08-2007, 06:53 AM
omg omg, d-did u really d-do th-that???? I'm not talking about the movie itself, which looks awesome, but I'm more into the "working 4 years of my life, 14/7, spent all my life savings and fulfilled my dream"

Jeff Lew you rock!!:buttrock: :buttrock:

:bowdown:

(note I'm usually NOT a fanboy)

My Fault
11-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Wow Jeff, this looks fantastic. Can't wait to hear more about your process and see this film in its entirety.

HUGE thumbs up! :thumbsup:

CME64
11-08-2007, 07:17 AM
hi jeff ,
this is really hard work from you
did you made the movie by yourself only ?
if the answer is yes then that is unbelievable efforts from you
from the trailer i like the softness in the animation and the FX
i cant wait to see this movie ^_^ ..
with my best greets

jigu
11-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Great one jeff! I have seen the old killer bean short and i loved it. It looks simple but great animation and very stylish. I wanted to see something which takes this short ahead and I loved you continued it. Can't wait to see this film!

Best Regards,
J.

Grgeon
11-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Amazing Jeff!

Here's hoping you sell many more of your character animation (http://www.jefflew.com/DVD_order.html) training dvd's to spend the money on finishing up your movie and maybe taking your mrs. to a nice dinner ;)

You're hardcore dude. An inspiration.

-George

Siahpoosh
11-08-2007, 07:31 AM
wooooooooooooooW ... its great man.

shoujoboy
11-08-2007, 07:33 AM
oh yeah pimpness I'm definitely gonna buy this if you put it on DVD!!!

crbinu
11-08-2007, 07:36 AM
great work. really happy to see u again in cgtalk

juhada
11-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Jeff!

Has any one done this before? Must say that the effort is one thing, but I think the film looks promising.

RockinAkin
11-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Congratulations Jeff!

This is one hell of an accomplishment. I cant wait to see the finished film.
Your dedication and hard work will be an inspiration to all filmmakers. :thumbsup:

AndyH
11-08-2007, 07:44 AM
" I was the Lead Animator of Matrix Reloaded. It was a great job, but it wasn't my dream job. I wanted to make my own feature film. So I quit to pursue my dream. "

Lead animator on Matrix reloaded and you QUIT?? Sheesh! You have a lot of ambition, and i respect that. I wish i shared your drive and entheausiasm sometimes....

Very nice looking vid - looks very entertaining. Im surprised the actual look of bean (textures etc) wasnt improved, but its the animation and action that sells this for me.

dancgfx
11-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Yipeee.Bean back again!.I'm a big fan of you and your killer bean series.You're my inspiration. As Grgeon mentioned I hope you'd make more traning Dvd's.

Piz
11-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Really Awsome Jeff!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

agep
11-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Fantastic! I'm really looking forward to it. You know... Killer Bean 2 was one of the main reasons why I started with 3D

Zodiac
11-08-2007, 08:12 AM
here is my concern.

I am a CG guy. I know how hard it is to finish a piece. anything from modeling to animation to the screen. when I see a whole film done by one man I say wow(and how =) . This is totally awesome for me. I will buy it .

but I am worried if the regular joe will find beans as an interesting concept or not.
and if people gets you frustrated, at which they are very good at, then it will be totally wrong.

I hope your movie does well .
it is an amazing achievement and you will be an example for everyone.

phix314
11-08-2007, 08:35 AM
That's amazing. Just.. yea. Amazing. Can't wait!

marchermann
11-08-2007, 08:45 AM
I look forward to it, Jeff. Your work was a great inspiration when I was starting out to make my own short film (http://www.kickerfilm.de) (and teaching myself 3D animation in the process) some six years ago. Learned a lot from your DVD, too. And now that I am working on my own feature script I find it encouraging to see someone else having walked that path and not given up.

Marc

PS: So is this the first A:M feature or did you switch software?

Goro
11-08-2007, 08:48 AM
So that's where you have been!
Glad your back and bean looks awesome! Looking forward to watching your film!

comic-craig
11-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Wow. As its already been said- very inspirational. I hope its a huge success.... and I hope we get to see the story behind the story (I think it would be awesome to see how you managed this task alone). I remember seeing your earlier shorts awhile back- I loved them... this looks sweet.

Craig

PavelPetrenko
11-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Jeff, its amazing! :thumbsup:
Waiting is over!

Braetzel
11-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi there,

one thing comes immediately up to my mind about your movie: great great and awfully great.
I enjoyed that really much even if you just let us watch a small part of it, small, but still awesome. Same question I'd like to ask, How could you possibly leave all that time with just your money saved? That's definitely weird.

Anyway, i wish you luck with the whole thing, and am eager to see your movie when it'll be complete:thumbsup:

medunecer
11-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Hey Jeff! Congratulations for your movie! The trailer is just amazing and i really can't wait to see the whole movie. Good luck to you and to the great "KB"!

FUG1T1VE
11-08-2007, 09:27 AM
"No, these past 4 years have been challenging, but rewarding. My life's savings and my wife's life savings have been used up"

Congrats Jeff its finally done:thumbsup: I remember when you talked about it in ur QnA here at the forums.

when can we get our hands on the dvd?
Hopefully you get some free time to get an interview going,

cheers.

snowrvn
11-08-2007, 09:30 AM
hey jeff!
I remember discovering your first Killer Bean animation back in college and I have to admit, I was instantly keen on seeing more and soon after, your techniques and art direction became a monumental foundation to which I'd aspire towards. I bought your animation techniques DVD which is now lost after being loved and shared by many peers - I still hadn't finished watching it! haha

I'll definately be purchasing the Killer Bean Forever on DVD if/when you do release it!
Congrats on the passionate and hard work you've put in, it's definately looking like it's paid off. :)

eXpaintz
11-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Hi Jeff, mannn congratulations, that is amazing.

One question though, how did You and Your wife survived all this I mean 4 years its a long time. I remember my wife was always angry about me sitting in front of the screen.

ps. and standard question ofcourse :) what did You use to render this?

cheers

AikoWorld
11-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Nice trailer cool to see your still at it. i was always wondering on a follow up :) amazing that you are creating this.

Cant wait till the release.

R10k
11-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks Jeff for bringing a smile to my face :D I can't wait...

jashiin
11-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Man, what a work...
Did you use Animation:Master for the entire project?

jussing
11-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Jeff Lew! Killer Bean! You're still around!

Awesome, you're like.... PRE-CGTalk buzz... back when the most talked-about animations weren't plugged ANYWHERE, 'cause there was no place to plug 'em.

And now, a one-man CG feature? Do you realize how many crash-and-burn projects you're going to cause, because they all want to do "the Jeff Lew thing"? :D

Anyway, looks great.

Good luck,
- Jonas

blasphemy3_d
11-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey Jeff

Well, 4 years by your own. The films looks cool. I love the animations of course.

Best of lucks man!

Ollarin
11-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Looking awesome Jeff.

I am in awe of your determination! Those 4 years paid off! :D

maxx10
11-08-2007, 10:43 AM
I really enjoyed killer bean 2 back then and have your animation DVDs and they helped me a lot, and of course plan to buy KB3!

But pulling out an entire movie all by yourself it's huge, something I dream of doing too, but don't have your dedication...

what can I say ...chapeau!

aqua9
11-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Really Great Job............. One Man Animator Feature Film........... thats truly inspiring.........:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Lemme know when this will be released on DVD ............ I will definitely buy that ..........
Please let me know when r u planning to releasing the Feature.

Congrats to u on this one :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Djampa
11-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Oh my ! I was wondering why you disappeared from the biggest film's credits... :D

Jeff, I've been following you up since before you did Matrix Reloaded, I can say you have courage, dedication and patience that only a few animators could be compared to.
For me you look like one of those Old School Disney's legends but living on this new era of computing animation.

I wish you success on this movie, and may it be one of the many to come.

The industry knows you, if the big names are really smart they will open all doors for next projects as a filmmaker.

4 years of living on savings, burning out credit cards and so on is more than challenging...
And we know some large studios take 3 to 4 years sometimes to finish a full feature, you are ONE man... this is insane ! I know I will see other movies from you on the 'big screen' in the years to come ;)

The trailer is awesome,
Can't wait for you to finish your last renderings ;) :scream: Killer Been Forever now !

Success !

Cheers,

safakoner
11-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Great! I have been waiting for next movie of Killer Bean. But I have to confess, I did not expect a feature movie.

I can not wait to watch!

congratulations!

mmhnemo
11-08-2007, 11:59 AM
This is spectacular!

I really look forward to the movie :)

BigErn
11-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Hey Jeff loving the trailer, some fancy moves in there, both with the camera and the beans :) Can`t believe you did it all yourself and in 4 years, its great commitment! Hope you get some great sucess from it. Above all else, hope you like it once its done, and hope enjoyed doing it too!

:thumbsup:

Ank4
11-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I've really been looking forward to the new Killer Bean. It's finally here, and it looks amazing!
Great work Jeff, and I hope you continue with this for a couple of years as you have been a huge inspiration for me.

cgmadvin
11-08-2007, 12:33 PM
:eek: hey Jeff,

Top Job, can't wait for the finished product. I hope everything goes well for you.
All the best.

Vin

gpepper
11-08-2007, 12:38 PM
It remembers me long time ago with the first you did ! Cool to see Him again !

Airflow
11-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Holas Jeff.
Once your dvd hits the shelves its gonna fly off them.
Wanna see your setup/progress reports, that sorta thing. Interested in doing this myself.

xeno
11-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Wow, nothing but the utmost respect for you and your achievement!
I will definitely check out the final movie and i seriously need to tell a lot of people that you did it all by yourself.

Congratulations!

AJ
11-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Congratulations Jeff - a feature length, one man production is truly phenomonal!

4 years of self management & production really is an amazing & inspiring achievement.

I'll be honest, the film itself doesn't really light my fire but then I wasn't a huge fan of Killer Bean 2... Don't get me wrong, I liked it & am gobsmacked by the achievement. I just personally feel the novelty of the 'action movie spoofing' wore off very quickly in KB2, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about 85 minutes of a similar premise.

I understand that from the popularity of KB2 & indeed the responses to this thread that you've got people whore are ready & willing to soak up some more bean action so I'm sure I'm the exception that proves the rule & I wish you all the best when the film is finished/released.

madcan
11-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Wow! Killer Bean is back! And as a feature!

You are an amazing inspiration Jeff. Congratulations!

Washek
11-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Fantastic job maaan!
Cant even image how much work you need to do if you're alone on it :D
lookin forward to see the movie
good luck with the final steps

Jadetiger
11-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Hehe, just when I thought I had seen every action bean movie. Great job!

grassetti
11-08-2007, 01:27 PM
awsome as always man..
hope i can see more!

take care..

Grassetti.

leigh
11-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Congratulations for all your hard work, Jeff. The film looks superb.

zandoria
11-08-2007, 01:48 PM
WOW!! Jeff--you are every artist's HERO! Congratulations and well done!!!

madheavy
11-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Man, what a work...
Did you use Animation:Master for the entire project?

For all of the Animation:Master patrons, I'll answer the question for you.
Mr LEW DID NOT USE Animation Master FOR THIS PRODUCTION

He said in his interview the last time on CGtalk that he switched to MAYA, and would be making this film in MAYA.

Jeff, you got my money and I will be telling my friends here all about your DVD too!

Paul4wood
11-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Wow! Congratulations, Jeff! It is always great to see someone persue their dream and succeed. May you have great success with getting this out there and recouping your investment 1000 fold. I hope you are thinking of talking to Startbucks or some other bean counters to help with promotion and merchandising? :thumbsup: Big applause.

Tri-State
11-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Well, Jeff, You've done a wounderfull job and, as 90% of cgtalkers behind me said, you are the man and the insipiration..

so let me be the first one to say that you have probably the best wife ever, because she supported you, helped and never dumped.. respect :thumbsup: and all good wishes..

mustan9
11-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Amazing, and he's selling t-shirts now!

lol! I totally loved Killer Bean 2 back in the old days. So glad to see this one come back.

So did you drop Animation Master this time around? lol...

Boone
11-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Glad to see you doing what you love best. I wish you a successful distribution - in whatever format you are going with.

nabhitech
11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
hey jeff .. job well done
ok now since u have a great product in ur hands would u like to tell us that how do u plan to market it or how will u earn from this movie wats ur plan or strategy since u have put 4 hard yrs in it how will u cash it ...
but if this gets successful and if it gets good cash then i am sure there will be thousands of folks out there who will try to achieve something like this after u
so do tell us abt ur marketin plans as well :D

lildragon
11-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Jeff you are seriously the man, it's been a long time since we spoke but I'm extremely happy to see that you've been hard at work for the past 4yrs! Incredible achievements and I wish you all the success with this endeavour, you honestly deserve it.

P.S. I love how KB has matured!

take care,

~t

pablotesta
11-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Woow Lew, its Fantastic what you do! The trailer looks great, the animations are very very good, but the most important to me is how you follow your dream at any cost.

Trully inspirational for me, really thanks

zandoria
11-08-2007, 03:18 PM
For all of the Animation:Master patrons, I'll answer the question for you.
Mr LEW DID NOT USE Animation Master FOR THIS PRODUCTION

He said in his interview the last time on CGtalk that he switched to MAYA, and would be making this film in MAYA....

I'm sure it will still look OK, even switching to a lesser known application like Maya....But thanks for pointing that out!
We A:M users would cheer for Jeff, no matter what software, silly!

zandoria
11-08-2007, 03:20 PM
double-post

MrHooper
11-08-2007, 03:24 PM
There's not much I can say that hasn't been said, but for what it's worth Jeff, I'm in awe of the dedication. THAT is what it takes to become the director you want to be. I'm sure this will be the stepping stone you wanted. The best of luck, and I certainly will buy the release. Hell, I'll preorder if you need some funds now!

I'll say, I've been around, and certainly been impressed with the work you do. Never more so than this. Screw the Matrix. How rare to see such a completely auteur animation.

Andrew Weidenhammer

Oupalline
11-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey jeff.

I was wondering what exactly constitutes a life savings? I have a film ive been wanting to do and was wondering what kind of budget i will be looking at? What kind of budget did you give yourself?

When and where are you planning on releasing it?

Thanks for your help.

paintbox
11-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I believe the first Killer Bean animation I watched was years ago, it was featured on the CD-Rom of PC Format magazine. It must have been intense to produce this whole feature (almost) by yourself! There are some really inventive scenes in the trailer.

Good luck in your endeavours, you certainly do deserve it. Hope to watch it soon,

-Paintbox.

unchikun
11-08-2007, 04:22 PM
I like how many CG artists make a name for themselves either through a personal project or big film gig.... then disappear.

Big ups for sticking to your (gold dragon inlaid) guns!! ;)

!!Support Independent Animation!!

karaml
11-08-2007, 04:33 PM
KUDOS & good luck with everything!!!

iamjens
11-08-2007, 04:39 PM
very cool, killer beans are back :bounce: thanks!!!

schakaib
11-08-2007, 04:40 PM
My excitement knows no end!! Killer Bean Forever!! WOHOOO!!! I can't wait for its release!!

Jeff Lew, you're my all time favorite. You never cease inspiring me!

I just keep repeating these lines many times a day:

"Who are you?"
"Just a bean, trying to ge some sleep."
"Oh, man! You ruined a good party. I mean, we were dancing ..."
"Just shut up, and give me that CD!!"
"You will get this CD over my deadbody!"
"That is how I was planning to do it!"
"Ok. Let's do it!!"

Good stuff, man, good stuff!! :bounce:

AVTPro
11-08-2007, 04:41 PM
That was funny as heck.

Ok maybe you did..haha. Great work.

bluecanvas
11-08-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm glad that someone has finally proven that one-man or small team features are feasible. Well done. I'm looking forward to seeing the full thing.

veljko-lemonade
11-08-2007, 04:53 PM
congrats man!
hope it works out for u!

FloydBishop
11-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey Jeff, I made a post about your film over on Channel Frederator (http://newtoons.frederator.com/post/4703). Maybe I could interview you for the blog? Send me a PM if you are interested.

schakaib
11-08-2007, 05:11 PM
That was funny as heck.

Ok maybe you did..haha. Great work.

Haha, so true!! And I liked this one too:

"There's no way you can help me!" LOL!

Man, such a class is trademark of Jeff Lew. :)

Flog
11-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Congratulations Mr. Lew.

This is quite an achievment and the quality is by far up to cinematic value. I wish you nothing but success and will support you by buying the DVD and a TShirt.

I hope you are successful both in your art (which it looks like you are) and commercially!
Your success is our success.

Often times I look around on this forum and see the amount of talent on here and think that this group of people with their talents could be the next Warner Brothers, Hanna Barbara's, Pixars and the like. I wish there were more collaborations and working together toward an artistic and a successfully commercial project.

There has been no real time in history where people can become the studio themselves and stop working for the man and become the man!

I think you will be successful with this little franchise if you work it smart. What are your plans for this movie?

Personally and this is just me.

I would first go the normal route. Film festivals! Maybe you'll pick up a distribution and get a word of mouth.

If not another idea that I'm doing on my film is making 1 long film that is about 80 minutes long and chopping it up into 4x20s to release on IPod for $1.99 an episode.

I am then hitting up all the comic book shows including Comicon to get my product out there! Getting a small artist alley booth with a small projector showing clips from the movie, okay if no projector then a portable notebook!

Then I'll compile all the episodes into one DVD and sell it with a ton of specials.

I'm sure you have your game plan. It would be interesting to hear how you are going to distribute this little gem of yours. :)

I'm sure there are other sights that would promote your film like Animwatch.com.

I wish you nothing but the best. Sad to here you jump ship from A:M. Those guys need to get with the program!

Velk
11-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Hey Jeff I am a huge fan of the Bean and I can't wait to see this in its full HD glory.

TwinSnakes
11-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Killer Bean and Sumarice are my all time favorite shorts. Transitioning that to feature film length requires some adjustment.

The sound is really nice, and the voice actors are top notch. But, it looks like a Mr. Potato Head spoof gone wrong. All of the characters look exactly the same with different "pieces" attached. I mean, there isnt even any color variation in the beans. There's no distinction for the title character. No facial feature, no prop (Well maybe those 2 guns he usually carries), no walk cycle, no gestures....nothing that makes the title character unique visually.

There's all kinds of "beans" out there. Why not mix them up a little? Coffe beans (duh), lima beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, cocoa beans.

As always, this is just my 2 cents.

_-TS-_

Jeff Lew
11-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the overwhelmingly great response! All this makes me more confident about the movie's success. There's still a lot of work to be done, cause I'm not anywhere close to where I want to be in terms of my goals, but yes, thank you for the great start.

Let me address some of the questions. First my wife. Yes, she is absolutely incredible. She's been so supportive ever since we met and when I first started doing animation like 12 years ago. She has just as big a part of this movie as I do. She was pretty much the executive producer on the movie. She asked me how long I thought it would take to make the movie. I told her 5 years, and then she told me, "Do it in 4." :) Hahah, but yeah, she created a schedule for me to try to accomplish. That really really helped.

4 years with no job? well, I did pick up some side gigs here and there. They were all short 2 month gigs. My animation DVD helped a little early on. I gotta tell you, the biggest drain on my bank account was not the software or hardware, it was the cost of living, especially in the Bay Area! Man, am I stupid or what?! But yeah, rent, food, health insurance. My wife is also not employed after our son was born. But we kinda figured our bank account would dry up in the fall of 2007 and whether I finished the movie or not, I have to go back to work. So the fall 2007 was my real deadline. And that's why I announced it now. Also, it doesn't hurt to have 0% interest credit cards, which my business is running on right now. :thumbsup:

Let's see, DVD, release plans: Too many things have to happen right now. I'm still waiting on a few things, but like I did with this announcement, I'll announce the release after it happens. Too many things can go wrong, so I don't want to go into details right now. It would be premature. I have the Jay-Z mentality now. "Let your s*** bubble quietly and then you blow."

Software. Man, I spent a lot of money on software. I thought hardware was going to cost me more, but it was the software that used up a lot of the budget. So I'm just going to list the softwares I used and that's it, cause I feel like I already paid them enough. No need for me to do any extra advertising. So here's the list: Maya, Final Render, Vegas, Photoshop, Syntheyes, Acid Pro, Audition, Particle Illusion, Vue. I don't know if I'm forgeting anyone. I appologize if I am. But while I'm at it, I really have to give a special thanks to Feeling Software for Nima and also to AGEIA for their PhysX engine.

So that brings me to questions about production. I used every shortcut imaginable. Anywhere where I can cut the corner, I did. If a shot was too hard and if I could do it an easier way and not hurt the story, then I changed the shot or just cut it. It was all about efficiency and getting things done. It wasn't about perfecting. I used a lot of stock models for stuff like props and sets and I also used stock motion capture where I could, and also a lot of stock textures. I really had to think like a stingy producer.

In terms of pipeline, my whole mentality was, I tried to offload as much work as I could to the computer. I mean computers and electricity are cheap compared to manpower. I rendered everything in camera and tried to reduce the compositing work in post. I didn't care if the renders took longer, as long as it reduced my time in front of the computer. I created mel scripts to automate a lot of repetative stuff. I mean, I wanted to do the least amount of work possible, which is still a lot.

In terms of how many people worked on this movie. I would say I did 90% of the work. I had actors do the voices and like I said earlier, Von did the bulk of the character designs. I used stock assets where I could. The rest was all me. But it was all me, not because I am a pompus egotistical arrogant fool. Trust me, I much rather not do the work than work. I did a lot on my own because I didn't have the funds to hire other people nor the management. If I am successful on this movie, I will definitely be hiring help for the next one. That is for sure!

But yeah, I was excited about this movie about a year ago. Now I am a beat down, battle-hardened old man. So thank you guys for all your positive feedback!

Jeff Lew

Wilson-3d
11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Great stuff! Looks to be a lot of fun. Congrats on rounding third and heading home.

destruct007
11-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Jeff you are an inspiration to me, and I'm sure many many others here. Fantastic work! I'm beyond impressed.

mistasam02
11-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Sooo amazing! Can't wait to see the whole thing! I'm definitely buying a copy on dvd. Great work man.. all that devotion paid off! :buttrock:

CGmonkey
11-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Admirable dedication, looks like a killer movie! Good Luck man!

DuttyFoot
11-08-2007, 06:10 PM
killerbean 2 was freakin awesome. i love the new trailer, i cant wait to see the full movie. i remember when i was learning A:M myself, and i saw the first killer bean. it was quite an inspiration. kudos to you jeff

WoolyLoach
11-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Killer Bean got me into 3D, I still recall it fondly even if it did ruin my life and destroy my desire to write code until I died (lol)! :bounce:

I'll definitely be picking up a t-shirt and anything else you put out!

Next time I feel overwhelmed, I'll just think about this and feel like I'm not just on crack when I try to do something all on my lonesome...!

ps. You ARE crazy, cost of living here in the Bay Area (I live in Sunnyvale) is wacked. Rent on my studio apartment is more than some peoples morgages in the Midwest!

Congrats on one hell of a job! You ROCK!

bobtronic
11-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Awesome stuff Jeff. I really like the trailer. Can't wait for the release. I admire your determination.

cheers,
Matthias

digital verve
11-08-2007, 06:23 PM
You have produced a great achievment. I hope you will get decent distribution and marketing as I'd rather watch it on the cinema than DVD :)

yeoj3d
11-08-2007, 06:28 PM
well its about time Jeff. i used to be on your old forums, i honestly never thought u would finish this. Congradulations on finally almost reaching your goal. i've been a fan of Killer Bean for years now. can't wait for it to be finished. congrats!

CHRiTTeR
11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, this is just great! I absolutely loved KB2 back those days. And now I stumble uppon this thread! :scream:
This must've been a real though thing for you to accomplish, but you know what they say: 'no pain, no game!'.

I'm sure you'll do verry well after this ;)
I love the camerawork the most. Verry dynamic :thumbsup:

But also, I also have to say something negative or this wouldnt be a good reply, right? :)
To keep it short; I agree on what TwinSnakes sayd.
But still, when you consider this is a 90% one-man show done in 4 yrs time, then this is some crazy stuff you pulled out of yr creative sleeves.
I think most of us here at CGTALK dream of doing what you did/are doing, but of all those members you are THE ONE (Neo?) that did it! Big respect to that man! I wish you all the succes you deserve!

Geta-Ve
11-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Wow, it is funny to see this actually being completed, I remember the early 'trailer' you had of the Bean smashing through the roof window and bustin' up some guys on a table. I have a few questions though if that jives with you.

1. What made you change the hand design? And more specifically the overall Bean design, addition of clothes and what not. For me it seemed like one of the hooks for the original KB (and second) was the simplicity of his design.

2. Why 85 minutes? Or rather, why feature length? This harkens (sp?) back to what Flog was saying about releasing it in increments, or episodes if you will. Do you think that the length of the film could hurt it in the end?

3. Are you yourself happy with how it is turning out? When you look at the final cuts are you satisfied?

4. Lastly, would you do it again, knowing what you know now?

Thanks Jeff for any questions you are able to answer. It is odd to think we have come full circle so to speak, I know a few of us on the forums here had formed a tight community on the KB Forums long ago. Until it was shut down, which was sad, but now most of us are an active part of the CG community.

Here's hoping for your much deserved success!

P.S. One last question, can I expect to see a cowboy hat? :D

spyxx
11-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Incledible.... congratulations.... it's 2.0 version.. ualll great animation.

Vexona
11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Oh my goodness. Wow, incredible, amazing.
I am so inspired after reading the lines "14 hours a day 7 days a week, 4 years" that is just amazing. I am awe inspired man. The renderings look INCREDIBLE!!! the scene setup is great, everything is amazing... THis looks like it will be huge! amazing work. THanks for the inspiration, and I am buying the DVD when its out! you rock man.

bscott86
11-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Haha, that was rad! I can't wait to see the the film! I really like Killer Bean 2: The Party too.

musashidan
11-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Incredible Jeff,great to see you back from Beanland with a feature film to your credit.To give up a job that people would donate a testicle for to pursue your goal.amazing:thumbsup:

Your Dvd set got me animating where i never thought i would be able to before having studied them.(and great to see a tutorial section on your website)

Really looking forward to the much anticipated return of the most exciting Bean your ever likely to encounter.

Hats off Mr. Lew.

P.S:did you create the entire movie in your old chum Hash Animation Master?

X96
11-08-2007, 08:19 PM
For the past 4 years, I've been working at my computer 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. I've spent my entire life savings and maxed out credit cards. After all this time and effort, my movie is almost done. I present to you a preview of my feature film directorial debut... Killer Bean Forever.
:D
Jeff Lew

Wow bad writing is bad writing and no amount of CG can fix that.
But the 3D does look better then the last one. So I'll be sure to get it off bit torrent.
(Cause I'd never pay for it after watching the trailer)

Sorry to be the only one who is casting disparaging remarks but sometimes you got to sand alone.

Chong
11-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I really think its taken incredible guts to go through with this. Also, to make an 85 film mostly on your own....it just seems mindboggling. For that, I sincerely congratulate you.

I won't lie, I liked the Bean shorts you did because they were just that, cool short sequences that really entertained. If you managed to stretch it out to a full feature length story (succesfully), I'll really enjoy this. However, from the trailer, it doesn't seem promising. I'm in no way assuming this movie isn't good....I'm just saying the trailer may/may not be doing it justice.

It seems to have many cliched characters in it. The actual plot of the movie doesn't come across as anything we haven't seen before either. If you do truely have an original story or just something different to offer that others haven't before, I would try to get that across more in the trailer.

I only say anything negative because I would love to see this succeed. Its like...literally.... inspirational that you did this, and I look forward to seeing the movie.

mojokdirector
11-08-2007, 08:52 PM
You don't know how long i have been waiting for this. Well actually you probably do. Since you made the second one.

Thats awsome that cut out and just made it happen. Congradulations on almost being finished. I can't wait to see it.

rhino23
11-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Sweet!! The Killer Bean shorts, back in their day, were part of why I wanted to get into animation. Can't wait to see this!

aesir
11-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I dont know how someone can have the self discipline to work on something for that long, that hard, all by yourself with no one driving you but yourself. And making no money... jeeeeeez.

Seriously, I really want to know how you can keep motivated. Im havinh enough trouble creating my 3 minute short.

DimitrisLiatsos
11-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Man!!! ...with this kind of serious commitment..the only thing i can say is RESPECT!...I surely hope u will give us a good notice when u rellease your movie on dvd!

...it really needs some serious inner power to finish such a thing with no outside funding...u are my hero..period!_

Best of luck.

Dimi.

Tripple-I
11-08-2007, 10:01 PM
holy crap, the bean is back!! Much respect to your dedication and hard work, youve earned the money of everyone posting here, and then some.
Good luck, cant wait

Flog
11-08-2007, 10:23 PM
I think most of us here at CGTALK dream of doing what you did/are doing, but of all those members you are THE ONE (Neo?) that did it! Big respect to that man! I wish you all the succes you deserve!

That is the problem people just dream. Sometimes it's sad seeing the level of talent and then seeing so few CG films like this one. I hope Jeff is financially successful so that others are inspired to take that route. You know how many potential millionares there are on this forum because of their talent and they don't even know it? Hey Jeff could be one of them depending on how he works his movie!

I have to solute Jeff for doing something original as well. Mostly things of this calibre are fan flicks which is seems that is the only way you can get a collab going!

Jeff I'm suprised you did not reach out to the community for collab efforts. I'm sure you would have gotten some takers of high quality.

I hope my film will follow suit in the next 1 year 1/2 but it will be one movie compiled in a series and cut in parts to 3 minutes to build audience and allow for portable type dowloads and the like.

But the 3D does look better then the last one. So I'll be sure to get it off bit torrent.

Sorry to be the only one who is casting disparaging remarks but sometimes you got to sand alone.

Mod's can we get this guy banned for even hinting at ripping off another CG talk member? If you are not going to watch it then fine don't bother to bit torrent it. And who knows if it's bad writing. We haven't even seen it yet. I'm sure he was just showing us some of the action.

The learning value alone of this film and watching a master at work is reward enough. I bet you can study the whole film. But to each their own, I'm not saying Jeff is some sort of godlike being now or his film is the greatest story ever told. I cannot judge that yet but please do not rip off another member of CGtalk for that matter.

I don't think I stand alone in saying ban you for that threat to cheat another member of this forum, big or small.

Kid-Mesh
11-08-2007, 10:26 PM

Some people.....wow. :shrug:

Anyway.....

Jeff!! This is awesome man. Your wife must find you to be one helluva guy. Talk about devotion.

Film wise, I'm loving what you have done with this and I cant even begin to quantify the achievement in my mind. Four years? How did you not get sick of it? LOL. Do you even eat beans any more? Hahahaha.

I'm totally down for supporting your cause any way I can. I'll definitely be buying a copy of the DVD to show my appreciation for your hard work and as a reminder that perseverance rules!

Although, I don't know about a t-shirt because... well I'm a little fashion conscious but if you have some coffee mugs or whatnot I'll be sure to get something like that.

Go ahead and get some rest! Cant wait to see what you do next :twisted:

Loolarge
11-08-2007, 10:44 PM
KB2 and Aliensong got me motivated to do animation years ago. Youre one of my heroes :)

Libor
11-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Jeff, congrats on your movie!! It is inspirational achievement!! I got your animation dvd and it was obvious how much you like your job but your dedication passes everthing I could think of...:eek:

I wish you all best to you and your movie!

Boone
11-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Speaking of micro-teams: What happened to Timothy Albee? I thought he would be doing a part two of Kaze: Ghost Warrior...

mattmos
11-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey Jeff,

what an achievement! I'm struggling through a short atm and you really put things into perspective! Congrats on your dedication, and all the best with the film, I hope its successful.

I'm amazed that its all self-funded - did you approach alias/autodesk about sponsorship? Or any of the program-makers? I'm sure a project like this would appeal to them. And surely there's room for a starbucks corporate sponsorship in there somewhere ;)

All the best
matt

unchikun
11-09-2007, 12:08 AM
it doesn't hurt to have 0% interest credit cards

Amen brother ;)

Keep your credit history sparkling clean folks!

X96
11-09-2007, 12:11 AM
No No you all misunderstand me IF I ever wanted to watch it I'd snatch it off a torrent...I guess my earlier comment was a bit flippant. Most likely I won't bother. Now I'm not down playing the technical marvel that jeff has done in producing several 3d shorts with the 3D in each getting progressively better. I'm just sad to see the "Acting" hasn't from what I saw of the trailer.

My Hat still goes off to him for his achievement and dedication. It's just far from my cup of tea.:beer:

FabioMSilva
11-09-2007, 12:20 AM
KB forever man.

-fabio

TylerAZambori
11-09-2007, 12:59 AM
That is the problem people just dream. Sometimes it's sad seeing the level of talent and then seeing so few CG films like this one. I hope Jeff is financially successful so that others are inspired to take that route. You know how many potential millionares there are on this forum because of their talent and they don't even know it? Hey Jeff could be one of them depending on how he works his movie!

I have to solute Jeff for doing something original as well. Mostly things of this calibre are fan flicks which is seems that is the only way you can get a collab going!

Jeff I'm suprised you did not reach out to the community for collab efforts. I'm sure you would have gotten some takers of high quality.

I hope my film will follow suit in the next 1 year 1/2 but it will be one movie compiled in a series and cut in parts to 3 minutes to build audience and allow for portable type dowloads and the like.

Mod's can we get this guy banned for even hinting at ripping off another CG talk member? If you are not going to watch it then fine don't bother to bit torrent it. And who knows if it's bad writing. We haven't even seen it yet. I'm sure he was just showing us some of the action.

The learning value alone of this film and watching a master at work is reward enough. I bet you can study the whole film. But to each their own, I'm not saying Jeff is some sort of godlike being now or his film is the greatest story ever told. I cannot judge that yet but please do not rip off another member of CGtalk for that matter.

I don't think I stand alone in saying ban you for that threat to cheat another member of this forum, big or small.

I'm actually impressed overall at the positive response that comes when somebody does something of quality. I think the trailer shows wit, nice voice acting, and quality graphics.
The writing will probably be funny, I can tell.

I got the matrix reference at the end, hehe.

The only thing that might maybe be better, is the editing, with the black screen transitions. Maybe the way it was done was intended, but I think they drew more
attention to themselves (can I treat screen transitions like characters?) than they
should. Is ok though. Maybe I'm just getting jaded from seeing that in trailers
so much...

Anyway, I really hope to see this one do well! Congrats Jeff!

OT PS: Flog I'm learning to stick bvh files onto characters in MB, I'm so jazzed
I feel like a kid.

ilasolomon
11-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Eightty-fiiive minutes of quality character animation?! by your own? .. O man, you have put most of us to shame! :-D I am impressed!

jsolson
11-09-2007, 01:54 AM
Cant wait to see the full movie, i saved the first killer bean clip on my hard drive years ago, and i still enjoy watching it. maybe you could make a killer bean video game next.

GQ1
11-09-2007, 02:12 AM
1 man and his vision,this is pure gold dude.
Btw,great trailor.

Bravo!!!

dany27227
11-09-2007, 02:19 AM
WOW! I think this might be the first feature animated film that was done by 1 person. I'm sure you got some help but you didn't have any one to help you with the project all the way. I have to say it's pretty inspiring. I think you should think bigger than selling DVDs. After all you're talking about an independent feature film. Maybe you should enter your film into festivals and who knows you might get a distribution deal with a big studio. Animated features tend to be really marketable. The whole trailer looked pretty sleek. Loved your cinematography,modeling,animation everything. This is really wonderful. And it is a Feature Film! I one day hope to be as good and as determined as you.

Munumunup
11-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Mr Lew this is a phenomenon. :bounce:

How is it that one man can sit down and create an animated feature film from SCRATCH over the course of four years!?! Even considering that you left some of the production work to the computers (stock this and that). You must have either an incredible sense of self belief and determination and drive AND/OR an incredilble support base of people surrounding you. (certainly your wife is supportive!!)

You are a self-made man. Gotta respect that!!

anishmations
11-09-2007, 03:28 AM
Standing Ovation to your passion SIR! :bounce:
Wonderful job there! And that is true inspiration!
4 years of mere passion driven work individually is quite superhuman according to me! For me its a dream to be made true though :)
Waiting for the Q&A page on that site to get uploaded :)
:applause: :applause: :applause:

tarun_don
11-09-2007, 03:32 AM
Respect! Whoa..some!! Nobody lives more than driven people!

GF511
11-09-2007, 03:54 AM
Great film, sure will grab a DVD,
J

MichaelZHsee
11-09-2007, 04:30 AM
cant wait to see the real thing:)ur the man jeff.
my full respect for ya

ubermensch76
11-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Total Respect dude.. and I am looking forward to its release.

Inspiring !:thumbsup:

davius
11-09-2007, 06:03 AM
What else to say? Great art, great models, great animation and an inspiring history from your life!

Best of luck for you and hope your movie makes HUGE sucess so we can see more from you!

Naseem
11-09-2007, 06:23 AM
the bean is back ^_^ i remember learning about your work at my art collage

KumarSG
11-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Hi there Jeff,
respect all your comitment, a true inspirtion to all of us. I too wanted to add started in the industry by watching your Killer Bean video. Although i am not much of an animator, but i do enjoy animating bits and pieces here and there, when time permits. So lastly, congrads and hope to see you climb higher in the future.

Kumar,
VFX, Angel TV

Cararan
11-09-2007, 07:40 AM
I can't wait for this.. Finally the wait is over..

rvala
11-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Finaly the KB returns! I remember looking at killer bean 2 and showing all of my friends the fantastic short it was at the time =) Cant wait to buy this on DVD! 5* EASY!

You ROCK!

spacefrog
11-09-2007, 08:05 AM
first - congrats to jeff, his vision and passion...
KB 2 was some great inspiration and i'm sure this one will be too...
to some of the criticism here....

It seems to have many cliched characters in it.

holy man ......
it seems that some people forget that they wach - well - plain coffee beans, which
somehow managed to be able to shoot, dance, drive cool cars... etc.......

if one got as far, thought about THIS and can accept a movie with living coffe beans,
cliched characters should be a minor obstacle to find the film interesting...
cliched characters are EVERYWHERE - especially in serious hollywood productions....
so why take jeff's unbelievable output and endurance to bring up this topic ?
in a film about dancing-gangsta-coffee beans made purely for fun and for a good laugh ?
I don't get it ....

s-rajesh78
11-09-2007, 08:26 AM
4 years of dedication, and passion , my respect to you Jeff:bowdown:
:buttrock: I will buy the DVD, eager to see it !!

Jeff Lew
11-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks again for the props. I was just reading over the posts to answer some of the more specific questions. It's funny to see the old KB Forums members around! And Tito, yes it's been a long time.

And yeah, I don't expect everyone to like this movie. I mean, I don't like every movie that comes out, and some movies I love that other people can't even sit through. It's natural. What are you gonna do but keep trying to make more movies?

Why 85 minutes? Or rather, why feature length? This harkens (sp?) back to what Flog was saying about releasing it in increments, or episodes if you will. Do you think that the length of the film could hurt it in the end?

It's all about going to the next level. It's all about that thing called feature length, that title called feature film director. I don't know what will happen when the movie is done. I just know I want it to happen.

Are you yourself happy with how it is turning out? When you look at the final cuts are you satisfied?

Man, I don't know what I'm seeing anymore. My eyes have dried up from seeing this so much. I'm just glad it's nearly done. Then I can step back and appreciate it more.

Lastly, would you do it again, knowing what you know now?

Hell yes, hell yes.

Film wise, I'm loving what you have done with this and I cant even begin to quantify the achievement in my mind. Four years? How did you not get sick of it? LOL. Do you even eat beans any more? Hahahaha.

I just know this is what I love to do. Make movies. How can I get sick of it? :)

I'm amazed that its all self-funded - did you approach alias/autodesk about sponsorship? Or any of the program-makers? I'm sure a project like this would appeal to them. And surely there's room for a starbucks corporate sponsorship in there somewhere ;)

No, I wanted to remain completely independent, no strings attached.

The only thing that might maybe be better, is the editing, with the black screen transitions. Maybe the way it was done was intended, but I think they drew more
attention to themselves (can I treat screen transitions like characters?) than they
should. Is ok though. Maybe I'm just getting jaded from seeing that in trailers
so much...

My wife says the same thing! She hates the fade in and outs. She thinks what you said is perfect. :shrug:

Jeff

cgjie
11-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I bought your animation dvd long long ago .haha

good luck to you!!!

fatsumo
11-09-2007, 10:51 AM
absolutely awesome man.

Conrgratulations.
Look forward to the movie, trailer looked great! Was fun too watch :)

Ismail
11-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Fantastique!:) Well done Jeff. Looking forward to seeing this at the Los Angeles Film Festival and Cannes!:) Well done!:) Thanks for sharing!:)

DimaDavid
11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
JEFF! you have done Great job!
keep that way and make more video training DVDs, they help a lot!

david

agreenster
11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Is there a quicktime version available? I cant watch this on Linux, and I wanna check it out!

Mblanco
11-09-2007, 12:41 PM
unreal inspiration right here, 4 years what a commitment, cant wait to see it.

Julez4001
11-09-2007, 01:45 PM
You spent 4 years in your room with the PC? No girfriend,no outdoor,nothing?

Man you are crazy.

Don't need a girlfriend when you have something 1000x better: A WIFE!

Jeff just telll me where to buy the film and its on!
I respect anyone who put that much commitment on face value alone.
It even helps that you are an awesome animator.

Was this Maya or AM?

satyajit
11-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Congratulations Jeff. This is a special occasion for independent filmmakers. First Timothy Albee and next you. And 86 mins of pure fun. I loved your movies. They are one of the reason I took this career.

One question. Why did you switched from A:M the software you used in previous movies to Maya? Any special reasons?

Satyajit

gitanium
11-09-2007, 02:17 PM
"Yo Jeff..respek"

Hey Jeff, do i sense a little inspiration from Nic Cage's character in Face/Off here? Great stuff, keep up the great work and hope you complete it soon! :thumbsup:

melmann
11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Youve been a great inspiration and Im excited to see the newest installment! Cheers to you Jeff!

satyajit
11-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Also Jeff I noticed you used Syntheyes. That's an interesting part. How do you used it? We all are biting our hands to see the process. Will the DVD have an extensive 'making of' section?

Satyajit

jtaddei
11-09-2007, 02:51 PM
hey Jeff,

Great to see some more of your work, my girlfriend bought me your DVD set for my birthday this year - they are great.

Thanks for the great contributions.

Chong
11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
holy man ......
it seems that some people forget that they wach - well - plain coffee beans, which
somehow managed to be able to shoot, dance, drive cool cars... etc.......

if one got as far, thought about THIS and can accept a movie with living coffe beans,
cliched characters should be a minor obstacle to find the film interesting...
cliched characters are EVERYWHERE - especially in serious hollywood productions....
so why take jeff's unbelievable output and endurance to bring up this topic ?
in a film about dancing-gangsta-coffee beans made purely for fun and for a good laugh ?
I don't get it ....

I have no idea where you come off rebutting constructive criticism, but you're wrong. I'm sorry. I haven't seen the film, and made no comments about how good or funny it would be. I assume you've seen the film, since you can defend it so quickly.

Also, as I said, its meant as constructive criticism.

To people outside of this board/industry, the time and dedication it took Jeff Lew to make this probably means nothing. To people outside of this board/industry, beans fighting each other might not be as appreciated or interesting.
I would love to see this film succeed, and in order to do so, it has to sell to them too. Not just us.

Constructive, unmalicious critism...its all I offered. And it was only about the trailer. The kind of dedication Jeff LEw showed should be rewarded imo, so every little bit that can help, should be considered.

TylerAZambori
11-09-2007, 03:44 PM
I have no idea where you come off rebutting constructive criticism, but you're wrong. I'm sorry. I haven't seen the film, and made no comments about how good or funny it would be. I assume you've seen the film, since you can defend it so quickly.

Also, as I said, its meant as constructive criticism.

To people outside of this board/industry, the time and dedication it took Jeff Lew to make this probably means nothing. To people outside of this board/industry, beans fighting each other might not be as appreciated or interesting.
I would love to see this film succeed, and in order to do so, it has to sell to them too. Not just us.

Constructive, unmalicious critism...its all I offered. And it was only about the trailer. The kind of dedication Jeff LEw showed should be rewarded imo, so every little bit that can help, should be considered.

Ohmigod, and what about those California Raisins? They dance and sing!
Who can stand it?? wait, I forget - do they talk too?

http://tinyurl.com/2bwzxq

http://tinyurl.com/2zy7o5

How popular was that????

I used to have a California raisins music video on VHS, but I gave it away to a kid
who just loved it.

Wiz
11-09-2007, 04:14 PM
This is simply mind blowing.. the amount of work and effort is just inspiring.

When can we pre-order? :)

Chong
11-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I can't argue about this in the thread :) . GL, and may this exceed all expectations.

derekserra
11-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Congrats Jeff! I hope to do the same thing in a couple years.

So that brings me to questions about production. I used every shortcut imaginable. Anywhere where I can cut the corner, I did. If a shot was too hard and if I could do it an easier way and not hurt the story, then I changed the shot or just cut it. It was all about efficiency and getting things done. It wasn't about perfecting. I used a lot of stock models for stuff like props and sets and I also used stock motion capture where I could, and also a lot of stock textures. I really had to think like a stingy producer.

I hope what you did gets more people thinking about doing it themselves. Technology is getting to the point where one person can make a quality film, and you're proving that. I would really like to see you put out a book about how you managed everything as effeciently as you could. It would be a great handbook for anyone else who wants to do the same.

Good luck with everything!

Charkins
11-09-2007, 04:50 PM
The original Killer Bean inspired me to buy A:M and thus start my career in animation.

I think its great to see that you're making a new one!

darthviper107
11-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Great job, really good animation. I hope it ends up being worth all the work once it comes out.

It's good that it's with Maya though. I had first started with Animation Master as well and Killer Bean was the best example video. But that program is so hard to work with and I'm much happier to have moved on to 3ds Max and Maya.

thedoc
11-09-2007, 05:29 PM
dude...

I see someone's out to go down in CG histoy! This is so inspiring! the renders look awsome! oneman job??? incredible... hope all this is coming oiut on your next DVD... or else we'll send a killer bean to your door.

enqore

luckbat
11-09-2007, 05:55 PM

I guess it depends on your definition of success, though, right?

Jeff's goal was to animate a feature film, and he did. So the project has already succeeded. I realize that what you're referring to is more akin to financial or popular success, but that's a much more nebulous area. How much money does a film have to make in order for it to be "successful?" How many people have to see it?

If independent filmmakers start defining "success" for their films using the same definitions as Hollywood studios, we're already doomed.

I say KBF can be considered a success the moment the last frame is rendered, and a financial success whenever the investors (i.e. Jeff and his wife) decide it is.

dvrysellas
11-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I guess it depends on your definition of success, though, right?

Jeff's goal was to animate a feature film, and he did. So the project has already succeeded. I realize that what you're referring to is more akin to financial or popular success, but that's a much more nebulous area. How much money does a film have to make in order for it to be "successful?" How many people have to see it?

If independent filmmakers start defining "success" for their films using the same definitions as Hollywood studios, we're already doomed.

I say KBF can be considered a success the moment the last frame is rendered, and a financial success whenever the investors (i.e. Jeff and his wife) decide it is.

Ya!!! What he said!!!

Jeff,

One man making a fature is CRAZY TALK and I am a big fan of crazy talk. Good Luck with it all!

Cheers!

-Dimos

iLegacy
11-09-2007, 06:58 PM
I love the Killerbean :D Watched it sooo often some years ago :)

amannin
11-09-2007, 07:25 PM
the dialogue in the trailer was a little cheezy, but i think the cheese is what gives it it's character -- well, aside from the John Woo-esque action sequences taken to the next level!

just one question: are you staying truthful to John Woo, or do your characters reload their weapons at some point?

--> just like everyone else, I am super excited, wish you the best of luck, and can't wait for its release. you have my full support :thumbsup:

Booyah
11-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Cant wait! it's gonna be a blast :buttrock:

Ranc0r
11-09-2007, 07:55 PM
haha killer bean the original was a classic. Nice to see a full film good job !

I doubt you would need to send a reel to anyone, but I think it would be funny to send an 84 minute long reel and at the end be like "all content was made by me" Instant hire. GJ!

MDuffy
11-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Is there a quicktime version available? I cant watch this on Linux, and I wanna check it out!

I watched it on my Linux machine at home... you probably just need to make sure the latest plugins are installed on your system (probably the gstreamer ones). An up-to-date Ubuntu system will play the metacafe stuff (the needed plugins are in the repository).

Awesome work, Jeff. Let us know when a DVD is available, and I'll certainly pick one up. I was wondering just a couple of weeks ago where you had disappeared to, and now I know!

BTW, how are you planning on marketing/releasing this film? Obviously you need to recoup your investment (to at least try to break even). Are you going to try to get a theatrical release (either through a distributor or four-walling it yourself), or are you going a direct to DVD route, or something else entirely?

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Michael Duffy

TylerAZambori
11-09-2007, 08:21 PM
My wife says the same thing! She hates the fade in and outs. She thinks what you said is perfect. :shrug:

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for letting me know what your wife said about it, that was nice of you :).
Cool, it affirms my editing sensibilities :).

Best of luck to you, hope you get theatrical distribution!

Shazam3D
11-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Killer Bean 2 was one of the main reasons why I started with 3D and animation, the other was Alieng Song (Victor Navone) Puppet (Raf and Steve Anzovin) and Pepeland (Daniel Martínez Lara) principally; good luck Jeff, I love your work; is highly motivating for a lot of us.

Best regards.

JM

RobertoOrtiz
11-09-2007, 09:24 PM

X96 we at the forum have a STRICT policy against piracy.
not only that, you should at least RESPECT the hard work the artist put on this piece.
It is really NOT COOL to dismiss his hard work that way.

-R

MrPositive
11-09-2007, 11:50 PM
I remember the first time I saw Killer Bean on ifilm. That movie and Summoner Geeks were two huge influences on me taking up cg as a career. I'll be buying your DVD....hell I think I helped fund a little by buying your character animation dvd.

Does the movie have a myspace page yet? If not, you need to get on that pronto. Best marketing piece alive, and it's free.

deebster
11-10-2007, 12:54 AM
dude. that was awesome. I can't wait

absolute_d
11-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Man I've missed you Jeff! I loved your stuff back when I was working at Hash, it's what drove me to learn the tools. I can't wait for the release!

All my best,

D

DangerAhead
11-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Jeff,

you're inspiring me... again. I bought DIVX versions of your animation videos a few years back. Went into rigging. Now I'm attending AnimationMentor.

I work with your friend Noah and he tells me great stories of you guys at Manex/ESC. We talk about animation all day everyday. I'm going to find a way to do what you did... somehow. someway.

You give me hope.... DAMN YOU! I can't wait to see it!

NightFox
11-10-2007, 01:24 AM
Jeff Lew! Awesome work man. I do remember back in the days when KB2 was still in the works when I started getting into 3D. Really interesting stuff in the action there. It's great to see that you're back in action and KB is going to make it to be a feature-length instead of a few minutes of intense action.

Now I don't want this to take away from the awesomeness that is Jeff Lew and Killer Bean, but the Bittorrent of his work is just completely uncalled for.

This man spent 4 years of his life and money on the work he put into this 85 minute film and it's just sad that you would even not support his work by just getting it for free. It's one of the reasons why I stopped watching Don Hertzfeldt's ripped stuff on YouTube and went to his site and bought the DVD that has most of his work on it. I support his work because I enjoy it.

Artists supporting each other is what this site is about. If you're not going to bother supporting him, then it's just not worthwhile for you to even be on this site.
Piracy was something I used to do when I was in high school because I didn't know any better. Now with a few more years under my belt and have an appreciation for the work done, I support the artists by purchasing their work.

When you make an 85minute film all by yourself with your skill-set, then you can speak up about horrible acting. Until then, you shouldn't criticise someone's life's blood and sweat work.

anti-shock
11-10-2007, 03:28 AM
Been a fan since the first killer bean, really like the style and your sense of humor.
best of luck to you for making this film. :thumbsup:

ernesttx
11-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Jeff, hats off man! I've been a fan since KB's early days and the new stuff looks outrageously great.

It also gives inspiration to those of us working on our own films (only got 24 mins of mine done). I liken your commitment and passion to early explorers. Those people that set out to make or find a new way for others to follow. So, from me and others, THANK YOU! for forging this path and showing us that in order for the big dreams to come true, we might have to sacrifice some. But, when we reach the summit, we can look down and smile; not just at the accomplisment, but at ourselves.

P.S. my money's in your bank when this is available :)

scorpion007
11-10-2007, 09:08 AM
I have to say, that looks pretty kick ass.

Never heard of killer bean before, but even watching your old 'episode', you can definitely see great animation skill. The trailer is definitely a big improvement though.

TBart
11-10-2007, 09:25 AM
No No you all misunderstand me IF I ever wanted to watch it I'd snatch it off a torrent...I guess my earlier comment was a bit flippant. Most likely I won't bother. Now I'm not down playing the technical marvel that jeff has done in producing several 3d shorts with the 3D in each getting progressively better. I'm just sad to see the "Acting" hasn't from what I saw of the trailer.

My Hat still goes off to him for his achievement and dedication. It's just far from my cup of tea.:beer:
Why are you telling this person, who just poured his heart and soul into a project, that you are going to pirate his creation? Learn to have some feelings and respect, you 8 year old brat.

Nice job Lew, can't wait to see it.

thematt
11-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Not gonna add anything, you're an inspiration for all of us, i don't think I can have half the will you need to make such a production.

big congrats, and lots of admiration.
Will buy it for sure.

cheers.

Ps:
Someone is already talking about getting this in torrents, people like him have nothing to do on this site, I would vote him out.

minkey
11-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Wow man your quality of work has improved so much from your previuse "party" video that you had made. (besides the quality I'v noticed that you have changed the models and upgraded them in texture and they have fingures ) the new gun looks so so so much better "cooler" than the previuse model. Anywho...let us know when you release the film....would love to watch it.

Excellent work man.

And congratz for having the will to persue your dream....I envy that.... true inspiration.

Thanks for reminding me why I love the world of CG.

minkey
11-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by X96

Why are you telling this person, who just poured his heart and soul into a project, that you are going to pirate his creation? Learn to have some feelings and respect, you 8 year old brat.

Nice job Lew, can't wait to see it.

I appologize for the double post but I cant agree with Tbart any more WELL SAID! :applause: ....What happend to common sence and morals in this day and age?....seems like there no longer common.....sad...

baby
11-10-2007, 11:47 AM
4 years
1 guy

:applause:

KB rules

ENL
11-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Most Excellent!. An inspiration to us all Jeff. I wish you the best. The film looks great!

Looking forward to see it!

gotothejim
11-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow. killer bean is back! AND looks amazing. can't wait to see it.

Sean MacNeil
11-10-2007, 08:49 PM
wow!! huge congrats Jeff! this is super inspiring and amazing. :applause:

killer bean 2 was the shit, and this looks to be just as awesome. way to go man! please let us know when and where we will be able to see it so we can come out and support ya eh.

cheers,
sean

theflash
11-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Looks really great film. Cant wait for the DVD release.

I love the guns hero has!!

Congratulations on realizing your dream job :)

thatoneguy
11-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Killer bean was one of the most influential films for me when I was younger and just starting to get interested in 3D I can't wait to see the feature! Can we pre-order the DVD? Are you going to be releasing in select theaters? What's the plan? How are we going to watch this? 1080pDivx via bittorrent+Suggested donation ala Radiohead (I know I'd pay a premium for a killerbean feature.)

I don't love Killerbean because it took a lot of energy and time and soul blah blah blah. I love killer bean because I love Killer Bean! I don't care if he pushed a button and it just happened over night. It shouldn't get any critical slack (except technically) for the amount of energy it took to make it. People shouldn't be able to only criticize it if they can do it too (because work is work regardless how it was made. But I do disagree with those who dislike killer bean because I love him.

BigMouth
11-10-2007, 09:58 PM
wow... you are a hardcore animator. I can't believe how much work you put in to it, it's just staggering. Congrats!

CoolDuck
11-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Looks super COOL! Impressive. Did you do all on your own?
I see in your FAQ, you use Maya. I suppose you didn't use AM on this movie?
It's very inspiring what you have done... quiting the day job to pursue your dream. Congrats!
I can't wait to purchase this movie. :D

5 stars!

c_Hotchkiss
11-10-2007, 11:02 PM
.... im speechless dood....

what a romantic life you've lived....TRUE passion .... amazing...

not just you, but (maybe even more), your wife !!

congradulations both of you!!

I'll make sure to buy a copy of whatever you sell, whenever it comes to that !!

Xevious
11-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Oh hell yeah...

Why does it have to be DVD? Is a theatrical release possible? :)

Ac0rN
11-11-2007, 05:27 AM
wow jeff, its been a long time coming... lol, you didnt need to do a whole future film, 10 minutes would be enough... but damn, 85 minutes...

great trailer, cant wait.

miss the forums.

bye. :)

muniraj
11-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Great improvement jeff .....I have seen ur earlier killer beans .....latest trailers is Stars over Stars.....

Best Wishes..

Wissemann
11-11-2007, 08:22 AM
OH! Man your the guy who got me into Modelling and Animation in the first place! This is awesome news!! Another Killer Bean Movie!! Pre-Order?

JesseDavis
11-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Just wanted to say good luck with the release. I really hope it was worth it for you, and comes out a hit. Good luck man. You got some guts.

gaianix
11-11-2007, 10:17 AM
wow man great aaAactions:twisted:

song.zf
11-11-2007, 10:37 AM
amazing, guy......

very good , hard work.

hibigibees
11-11-2007, 11:53 AM
3 words to describe a film of this magnitude -> "ONE MAN SHOW"
I am a big fan of KB animation shots since version 1.0.0.0.1, good luck jeff ...

MAzhari
11-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow man, it's great. Great passion, endurance, and energy to pursue a big dream.
Congrats :thumbsup:

Monty
11-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Looking forward to the film

nerrazzi
11-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I've always thought it was hilarious that these characters have only lips-- no actual mouth opening!:scream: Looks like you've kept the humor intaked as well; break dancing while shooting his enemies...:scream: This would be a great video game for the Wii! :thumbsup:

So in this film, KB's not just trying to get some sleep- now he's an assassin??? He's definately on a mission for the government or some secret agency to eliminate a mobster bean boss-- dunno, can you give a synopsis about the story yet?

great work! truely an inspiration...

cresshead
11-11-2007, 06:20 PM
trailer looks excellent, i'll be in the que for the DVD purchase and hope there's loads of behind the scenes features on the dvd too...or a follow up training dvd!

killer bean
pump action [cinema4d]
anibyte [3dsmax2.5]
alien song
Planetary Traveller [bryce]

all played there part in getting me into 3d

steve g

Mis3D
11-11-2007, 06:49 PM
When you make an 85minute film all by yourself with your skill-set, then you can speak up about horrible acting. Until then, you shouldn't criticise someone's life's blood and sweat work.

try to animate a ball first then come to read this post .. after that try to make 85 minute film all by yourself then come to us http://www.gulftalk.com/fourm/images/smilies/smilies2/angry.gif

bassaminator
11-11-2007, 06:51 PM
I'll be in the line for the DVD too! heck, if there's a theatrical release, I'll be lining up the night before too ( with a tent if needs be )
I know at least one 12 year old kid ( and a 35 year old one too) who would be psyched to get that DVD as a gift. Neither of them has anything todo with cg, both of them are rabid KB the party fans.

nglemb
11-12-2007, 04:33 AM
Fantastic job Jeff! Like many others KB2 was one of the things that inspired me into 3d animation so I'm very excited to see what you've managed to cook up in the last 4 years. 85 minutes. Wow. You've definitely got my respect for hanging in the for the long haul and really running full tilt for your dream.

JLLilley
11-12-2007, 05:15 AM
Jeff this is great work. All one man show I am very impressed. I have always wanted to do what you just accomplished. Just tell me where to buy the DVD and I am there. This is sweet.

Great work Jeff hats off.

dinodog-jr
11-12-2007, 05:15 AM
4 years of devotion, 14 hours of hardworking in front of PC. No income... You made it man. You got a wonderful wife as well, jeff. Rarely got a woman/gf can stand their hubby/bf so addictive to personal thing so long years.

In fact, i will eagerly to get your Real experience on Movie making book more than the DVD movie. I am the one who is always more interested in every interesting/painful details behind this Mission Impossible project.

Hopefully, you will plan to share your precious lone ranger's story during making this movie into a book.

The trailer got some quality. The angle is cool~. This is a very powerful self-achievement for the rest of self-time.

Good job & respect!. Take care of your health too.

WyattHarris
11-12-2007, 08:08 AM
"I'm just a bean tryin' to get some sleep."

Me and my students would watch that vid all the time, always enjoyed it. Jeff not only did you have the guts to quit your job and go it alone but you also followed through and finished your goal. Hats off bro, I am truley impressed.

"KB Forever" looks like it will rock by the trailer, now I'll have to explain to my wife why Im buying a full length movie about beans that my kids can't watch. ;)

huzeyfecoskun
11-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Ohoo this is looks very promising , i watched Killbean 1 , 2 :p but here are real improvements . Cars Humans and u did these alone just WOAA ;) i wanna watch this .

thundering1
11-12-2007, 02:02 PM
That is fantastic! I LOVED the Killer Bean 2 - glad to see you kept going with it! On your site, you said you felt it looks dated but it's still one of my favorites.

Gonna bookmark your site - definitely buying a copy when it's released - great job man!

Imagus
11-12-2007, 05:04 PM
It's been said a million times in this thread already, but bears repeating... hats off to you, Mr. Lew. 4 years, 14 hours/day, 7 days a week... incredible devotion to your project.

This makes you, for all intents and purposes, the Bill Plympton of the 3D world. :D

Wish you all the best in regards to release/distribution. It's makes a bold statement when an individual creates something of this scale and caliber, and will make an even bolder statement should it succeed commercially. Looking forward to seeing the whole (bean-filled) enchilada. :thumbsup:

Imagus
11-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Dual postality.

JohnD
11-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Myself and a number of my co-workers have been checking your site about once a week for a number of years, greatly anticipating the next release of Killer Bean, and it's almost here, and it looks sweet! Congrats, Jeff.

Jeff Lew
11-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Everyone thanks for your comments! It's really good to hear. This will be my last post for a while. I really gotta hunker down and get this movie done! But let me go through some questions first.

You spent 4 years in your room with the PC? No girfriend,no outdoor,nothing?

Nope, no girlfriend. My wife wouldn't like that. And I'm not an outdoors kinda guy. I did take breaks on Sundays when football was on, and also when my son was born :)

Sorry, not yet. It's only metacafe for now, cause I can earn some money with em. I thought linux can play flash video? I'm running Xandros linux now.

Was this Maya?

yes, all maya

Also Jeff I noticed you used Syntheyes. That's an interesting part. How do you used it? We all are biting our hands to see the process. Will the DVD have an extensive 'making of' section?

Syntheyes was used to track real camera shakes. Then I imported the motion into maya. I like shakey cams when used for the right occasion. Yes, I'll try to make a behind the scenes featurette when the time comes. Right now I'm just focused on the movie.

You're sure right about that! I read some of the posts on digg and thought it was funny how some people said: Why didn't he just get another person and get it done in 2 years. Or get 4 people and get it done in 1 year. I thought it was pretty amusing. The general audience 1) really doesn't care how long it takes. 2) think 4 years is a really long time. And probably 3) don't care how much it cost. I think it's really only cg artists, filmmakers, and movie studios that care. Not all for the same reason ;)

I like what you said. To me, success is having the ability/opportunity to make more movies, many more. That could happen a lot of diffent ways. I'll take any one of them.

the dialogue in the trailer was a little cheezy, but i think the cheese is what gives it it's character -- well, aside from the John Woo-esque action sequences taken to the next level!
just one question: are you staying truthful to John Woo, or do your characters reload their weapons at some point?

Yep, nothing wrong with cheese when you can back it up with 2 gold guns and gold bullets. ;) Um, Killer Bean reloads occassionally, but the bad beans never reload. They have infinite ammo. I just never thought it was important for them.

doubt you would need to send a reel to anyone, but I think it would be funny to send an 84 minute long reel and at the end be like "all content was made by me" Instant hire. GJ!

That's pretty funny. :)

BTW, how are you planning on marketing/releasing this film? Obviously you need to recoup your investment (to at least try to break even). Are you going to try to get a theatrical release (either through a distributor or four-walling it yourself), or are you going a direct to DVD route, or something else entirely?

hmmm, it's all up in the air at the moment, but things are in motion. I like to be really vague here, like Bill Belichick.

Does the movie have a myspace page yet? If not, you need to get on that pronto. Best marketing piece alive, and it's free.

Well, I did save a spot for it in myspace. Do I know how to use it? hmmm, not yet. This past week I really feel like the old web generation. One person was telling me he gave a shout out to all his friends on Digg and I was like, shout-...out? All this new web stuff moves too fast for me.

I work with your friend Noah and he tells me great stories of you guys at Manex/ESC. We talk about animation all day everyday. I'm going to find a way to do what you did... somehow. someway.

Yeah, Noah and I have been through a lot, haha. Did he tell you that we were always the first in line for lunch break when we were on set? We always cut in front of the crew. The stunt guys and mocap guys did all the work while we were hanging around the catering services all day. Those were the days.

It also gives inspiration to those of us working on our own films (only got 24 mins of mine done). I liken your commitment and passion to early explorers. Those people that set out to make or find a new way for others to follow. So, from me and others, THANK YOU! for forging this path and showing us that in order for the big dreams to come true, we might have to sacrifice some. But, when we reach the summit, we can look down and smile; not just at the accomplisment, but at ourselves.

Good luck with your film! I truly believe the window is just starting to open. I believe we'll be seeing more indie animations by smaller teams down the road. Everything is converging that way. Software, equipment, everything.

Killer bean was one of the most influential films for me when I was younger and just starting to get interested in 3D I can't wait to see the feature! Can we pre-order the DVD? Are you going to be releasing in select theaters? What's the plan? How are we going to watch this? 1080pDivx via bittorrent+Suggested donation ala Radiohead (I know I'd pay a premium for a killerbean feature.)

I didn't know about what Radiohead did till you mentioned it. Wow, pretty interesting. It definitely gives people more statistics to study about people's buying habits and the web.

As for the release, like I referred to earlier, I follow the ways of Bill Belichick and Jay-Z. Focus on the task at hand, and let your s*** bubble quietly.

what a romantic life you've lived....TRUE passion .... amazing...
not just you, but (maybe even more), your wife !!

Thanks, but believe me, we're both ready for the movie to be finished. I'm not very romantic clicking the mouse button a thousand times a day, hunched over at my desk. :)

So in this film, KB's not just trying to get some sleep- now he's an assassin??? He's definately on a mission for the government or some secret agency to eliminate a mobster bean boss-- dunno, can you give a synopsis about the story yet?

hmmmmm, not yet, not yet.

In fact, i will eagerly to get your Real experience on Movie making book more than the DVD movie. I am the one who is always more interested in every interesting/painful details behind this Mission Impossible project.

I think one day I'll get the full story of the process out. Probably by the time it gets to DVD.

To everyone on this forum, thank you. And thank you CG Society. I've read and enjoyed every single post. Sorry I can't reply to everyone. But for now, I need to crawl back under the rock I was in and really get this done. So I'm signing off. Hopefully I'll be back later with more updates.

Talk to you later,
Jeff Lew

schakaib
12-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Jeff Lew, you are inspiration incarnated as a human being!! My friends and family are alreay sick and tired of your name, because of how much I keep talking about your work. :D
**I hope that doesn't sound gay** :p

MarkInTx
12-16-2007, 03:38 PM
A few thoughts:

1. About KBF: As everyone else... Wow! Fantastic work, and I can't wait to see the final product!

2. To those offering "constructive criticism:" There is surely a place for that. But, IMHO, it is only in two instances. One in a WIP section where the author solicits it, and two when the work is released and you offer your opinion about it. This thread is neither. Although some of the crits were maybe helpful, there is no way Jeff is going back now to change the texture or characters of beans he has been rendering for months. This isn't a WIP being asked for C&C. It is a pre-announcement of a monumental task...

3. Marketability: my wife saw a little montage of KB over my shoulder (I was watching Jeff's animation training DVD in bed... not as bad as it sounds, really... ) She thought "the bean" was funny. So I showed her the website and trailer (thank God for laptops with WiFi), which she liked. The next morning, my step-son comes to me and tells me: "Hey, mom told me I should see this really funny video about a bean..." So, I showed him. Now many of his friends have seen it. You know what this is folks? WORD OF MOUTH. And it is what every motion picture dreams of. These were not CG people, just regular folk. I do think that the movie has commercial appeal, if it finds the right market.

4. SUPPORT JEFF LEW. This film is a watershed moment for independant CG. We shoudl all put our money where are heart is. Buy things from his store. Fortunately, it is easy. His animation training videos are the best I have seen. I love his approach and learned more from watching his DVDs than from any other book or DVD I own. The fact that he uses Animation Master is irrelevant to the content. People can learn from the DVDs regardless of what package they use. Someone needs to unlock the thread on his DVDs and bump it so people know about this wonderful resource that - oh by the way - also helps support an artist getting a new movie out. Or we should start a new thread. Anyone?

cresshead
12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
stuning...you've got a slice of my money for a cinema release and dvd release
also looking at your animation training dvd...could be on order for christmas!

now get back to work!

update...just ordered all 3 dvd's....

cabertevon
12-17-2007, 05:26 AM
4. SUPPORT JEFF LEW. This film is a watershed moment for independant CG. We shoudl all put our money where are heart is... also helps support an artist getting a new movie out. Or we should start a new thread. Anyone?[/QUOTE]

Count me in!

cresshead
12-24-2007, 05:09 PM
just got his training dvd's this afternoon in the post...christmas eve...early pressy!
had a quick play in max after i watched the first 2 dvd's.

http://www.cresshead.com/wip_wait/box_lift.gif

not perfect, but this is day 1!
watching dvd 3 after tea...

hope to be a okayish character animator one day!

looking forward to the final film he's making.

MarkInTx
12-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Awwww... you weren't supposed to open that before Christmas ;)

Seriously... looking good there for a quick play... Tell me, did you have any trouble transferring Jeff's techniques into 3DMax? (since he was using A:M)...

just got his training dvd's this afternoon in the post...christmas eve...early pressy!
had a quick play in max after i watched the first 2 dvd's.

http://www.cresshead.com/wip_wait/box_lift.gif

not perfect, but this is day 1!
watching dvd 3 after tea...

hope to be a okayish character animator one day!

looking forward to the final film he's making.

Richdj
12-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Tell me, did you have any trouble transferring Jeff's techniques into 3DMax? (since he was using A:M)...

Shouldn't have had any trouble, Jeff shows the techniques in animation master, but they are not application specific.

Rich

Richdj
10-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Jeff, sorry to ask here, but couldn't find a contact point on your site. I'm the Challenge Team Leader for spinquad and wondering if you would be willing to provide a copy of your animation tutorials as a prize for a challenge. We will provide advertising via the site and newsletters. Please let me know via rich@spinquad.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/rich@spinquad.com) or info@3dthunder.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/info@3dthunder.com) or PM here...

Cheers

Rich

TorstenSchneider
11-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Is there a way to support him (money via paypal)?!

Awesome stuff so far:buttrock:

DogBreath
11-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Go to his site and buy any of his DVD's.

http://jefflew.com/

cresshead
11-08-2008, 08:24 PM
very good info on the dvd's...theyll help anyone using any 3d software for character animation.

Pyke
04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
I know this is resurrecting a thread-but I just wanna say CONGRATS to Jeff Lew for completing KILLER BEAN FOREVER, AND getting a distribution deal! I cant wait to get a hold of the DVD!

CHRiTTeR
04-03-2009, 01:37 PM
He should invest a little more in advertising though, cos i dont see anything about the movie anywhere except for this in this topic

cabertevon
04-03-2009, 01:40 PM
I agree with CHRiTTeR.

But you can find some information here: http://killerbeanforever.com/trailer.html

cresshead
04-03-2009, 01:45 PM
He should invest a little more in advertising though, cos i dont see anything about the movie anywhere except for this in this topic

he's been in the last 3 issues of 3dworld magazine with a behind the scenes feature in each...

Pinet
04-26-2009, 05:00 AM
That is just incredible..
Hop CGtalk and every 3DWebsite will support that incredible one-man independant "tour de force".

When i started i was very inspired bye that "killer Bean 2" short, now as a "senior animator" i'm just more inspired to know its possible to produce what looks like a rater good full-lenght animation movie ALONE(!!!)

Don't think i have the guts to do that during my life but the proof is there, its possible!

I'll surely buy that and hop more people will heard about it.

You deserve to become rich with that and have some MAJOR props!
If that ain't the case you'll at least be a huge inspirations for me.
Quality seems good but the discipline and hard work to make such a piece of artwork is what i admire the most with that movie.

Well, just saw a leaked dance part on youtube, can't wait to buy and watch the whole movie, looks funny and well made!

Jeff Lew
05-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Hi guys,

I guess I'm posting on this thread to cap it off. I just started a new thread in Finished Work: Animation, well, since my movie is now Finished Work: Animation!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=760412

I've uploaded the entire first scene from my movie to youtube in HD. Plus there's more pre-order and distribution info on that thread.

Hey Pinet, thanks for your comments. I guess I will have to settle for being a huge inspiration :), cause I certainly haven't become rich. I'm learning the hard way about the whole Hollywood distribution thing and how much they all try to make you think they're doing you a favor. It makes me realize that the future is not with the whole distribution system. That system is broken. The future will be between the filmmaker and the audience and no one in between. (insert evil laugh)

Anyways, those are just my thoughts.

Jeff

cresshead
05-06-2009, 06:41 PM
all i need to know is when and where can i order this..i'm in the u.k....willing to pay right ow!

Pinet
05-12-2009, 05:10 AM
I'm learning the hard way about the whole Hollywood distribution thing and how much they all try to make you think they're doing you a favor. It makes me realize that the future is not with the whole distribution system. That system is broken. The future will be between the filmmaker and the audience and no one in between. (insert evil laugh)

Anyways, those are just my thoughts.

Jeff
I started myself a "French Rap import" distribution company somewhere in 2005 and i clearly understand what you talking about. Those CD/DVD/Games Multinational stores just wont let an independant distributor with few titles sell their stuff in their shops (unique titles ones like you, don'T even think about it..) and if they do, pf coursethey'll take their cut .
I kinda understand em since its too much stuff to manage thousand of independent products but their must be a new way like you say.

Do you think that for independant filmmakers, online sales may be the future for distribution?
I mean, what are the current options.. Physical distribution by hungry and scared companies limited to some "choosen ones" (not always the good ones), Or selling your movie yourself on the streets?

I think that online sales on shops like amazon or personnal websites like yours may be the future of financianly succesfull independant entertainment products.. (or is it the present?)
But even then, if its not accessible where people willing to pay for that entertainment are..

You should put some money advertising your DVD if you can afford it.
Not sure how but posting on forums won't reach a maximum selling potential.
Whatever, thats your thang and i'm surely no better than you to tell you what to do (my cd import thing is almost bankrupt :S lol )

I would surely be interested to know bout your marketing thechniques/sells info.
"The future will be between the filmmaker and the audience and no one in between."
Your the future man.. :D

Good luck with your movie, and if you have some energy left, i strongly suggest you to aim big for publicity, creating a buzz (CNN, Youtube, SKYNews, AL-Jazira, Every frontpages you can get, you could be surprised!)

Sorry for that long selfish post, you already made alot and that Cannes festival thing may open you alot of visibillity opportunities like you say!
Just insisting on the fact that your film is unique, its the first "FulllenghtCG-movie-Allmade by 1 independant Guy" , its an awesome thing and it may interrest alot more people than just those oldschool CG Geeks like me!

CHRiTTeR
05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
he's been in the last 3 issues of 3dworld magazine with a behind the scenes feature in each...

well, thats not really a broad audience.
Im sure its an intresting article, but not verry usefull in terms of advertising.

ASquarePeg
05-14-2009, 08:31 AM
True. How much exposure depends on A) the initial reception, B) any festival success, and C) general word of mouth.

I'd love to see his work and process as the centerpiece for a book. I think that a book based on this would definitely be the spiritual successor to the Tim Albee "Kaze:Ghost Warrior" making of book. Heck, I'd even buy the book as a PDF. :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2009, 08:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.