PDA

View Full Version : Modeler/Texture Artist portfolio critique

PredatorGSR
11-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Hey guys,

I would really appreciate if I could get some feedback on my portfolio and reel. I graduated from a 3d school about a year ago, and have been working with mod teams since then. I'm currently trying to get a job in the game industry as an environment prop modeler/texture artist. Eventually I would like to specialize in characters, but most of the entry level positions I've seen have been for prop artists, so I have been aiming for that as the way into the industry. I really like making props as well, so that doesn't hurt.

I've been applying for the last 6 months or so and have gotten limited results. I did get one art test, which I passed but they hired a local candidate due to location (I got feedback from the art director and found this out later, otherwise I would have offered to fly up on my own dime). Other than that I've gotten a few responses along the lines of "your work is impressive but we chose another candidate", but mostly I just don't hear anything back, which seems to be pretty common.

Basically I'm looking for a reality check, I think my stuff is on the right track, but I need unbiased opinions.

Feel free to critique everything, quality of work, reel, website, presentation etc. I've got a thick skin, so don't hold back. http://konradbeerbaum.com/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gamedev
11-06-2007, 05:22 AM
I'll start w/ your website the move on to your actual portfolio.

When a prospective employer links to your site, the first thing they should be seeing is your work. Ditch the 'news' page and link directly to your best work. That being said, if you really are looking for a entry level job, and most of them are prop related, make sure the first piece they see inst a character. General rule of thumb - if the studio is smaller, a 'jack of all trades' type might do well. But if your looking to get in w/ some of the better known studios, show them you'll be a great prop artist and that you know the position you're applying for and ditch the character work. Your gallery is a bit overloaded. The menu is too broken up and the simple text makes it harder to navigate, some thumbnails might be nice instead. Overall, you're site is easy to use. You're not going to win any design awards, but most HR / Art Directors will get around just fine. On to your work...

Your prop work is Ok. A lot of pieces feel like they are missing proper reference and are lacking detail. As well, though the source engine stuff is cool, the materials for those props and objects look really weak. Some are lacking normal and spec maps. For an entry level spot, all you need is a handful (2-4) of really good props. Get rid of your older stuff and keep putting fresh new stuff in. Keep in mind quality over quantity - you could easily shave 5-10 pieces.

I think you know the tech, how to model, unwrap, create normal maps etc, you just need to focus on making quality art. Give your work some serious thought. Think about story and texture detail, and really sell it. Things like your snow crates are an eye sore. How do those even open up? Who owns them? How did they get here? Whats inside, and what the heck are they made out of?

And lastly, what you should be canning from your portfolio (only my 2 cents):
- snow crates - as mentioned above.
- fuel tank - texture is low-res and plain. Lacking detail. Really just needs some solid photo ref.
- Jaguar throne - looks cheesy and fake.
- all your weapons but the falcon 45. The rest are flat and lacking detail.
- Tiger helicopter - materials need a lot of work - the surface inst reading as metal and your decals are way to clean
- all your foliage - its bland and the renders are bad.

All in all, you need to take a look at some of the work coming out of the top studios. If your props / models / work etc aren't on that level, than why should company X be hiring you?

I'd recommend you start some new props w/ lots of photo reference. Each time you wrap one up, replace something old in your portfolio.

Best of luck!

urgaffel
11-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Tyler pretty much said all that could be said. All I want to add is that you are relying a bit much on the occlusion maps. Especialy on the grenade launcher. Use them, but use them with a bit more restraint. It's a bit OTT at the moment. And like Tyler said, if you want a prop job, don't show characters the first thing you do. Tailor your application to the position you want.

PredatorGSR
11-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks guys, thats what I needed to hear. I think you are pretty much right on.

Gephoria
11-06-2007, 10:44 PM
after reading that i'd like to compliment you on the dragon, makes a enthralling avatar

PredatorGSR
11-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Thanks, it was one of my favorite characters to work on.

MFTituS
11-07-2007, 10:55 AM
it is a good start.
your stuff is ok, but has his weak points too.

if you want to create chars you should work more an the basics like a proper shape - for this i would recommend study more bones, muscles and flesh escpecially on your faces.
it will take some time and you have to invest much time into human body and enjoy to explore it; so better work on the props to land a job firstly before making the next step.

for the other stuff you should work on quality of materials.
for this i would recommend to paint more. copy different stuff like wood, stone, metal, hair, foliage, different fabrics and analyse the essence. what makes the material look like this. is it dull, shiny, reflective, translucent, dry, rough....
additional try to paint with different colors too make interesting und vibrant materials. light does not only affect value but also color.
you can make some value exercises also to make things better read (your dragon is lacking of it, the contrasty structure kills the shape - it is hard too see the form).

even if you want to work more with fotorefs for realistic results, the exercises will help you to understand what you are doing there. you will learn much more by analysing and painting things than playing around with layers until it looks like something.

hope it helps...

blastzone
11-07-2007, 11:58 AM
im not a pro so take this with a pinch of salt... BUT. use the community.. i cant stress enough how much of an impact they have had on my texture work. the people here are fantastic.. and youd be amazed how much of a diffeence it can make. for example http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=540405

look at the improvement on that.. :D make a post of each of your guns for example and see what people tell you to change. :D

PredatorGSR
11-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just finished redesigning my site to make it easier to view content (as well as update it).

I'll be starting individual threads to improve the props.

Gamedev
11-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Much better layout - work in your face from the get go. Now figure out what you're doing w/ the characters...

PredatorGSR
11-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Since I'm aiming for a prop modeler job, I took your advice about putting the props first. However I think the characters are good enough that they will be beneficial if an employer sees them, especially since I have a limited number of props at the moment. So for now I'm going to leave them in, but put the props first.

deepak21october
11-12-2007, 01:46 PM
hi PredatorGSR

your works looks good to me specialy ur texture , disp. ,bump and normal map
from 1st look it seems dat u have a good tec knowledge
well i m very bad at all the terms i had mentioned above
can u help me , i mean can we chat on GTALK my id (deepak21october) i really thankfull if u help me

good work keep it up

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2007, 01:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.