PDA

View Full Version : Robot Arm Rigging?

meatpuppet
11-05-2007, 10:11 PM
so i'm ripping off chris cunningham's 'all is full of love'.

i've built a model of the two robot arms and an environment and the more i thought about rigging it the more i realized i had no idea how to really go about it. i want to use i/k however i can't figure aout how to tell the system that joint 'a' can only rotate on it's y axis while joint 'b' rotates on it's z axis, etc.

basiclly how do you use rotational constraints (limiting the rotation not adding maya 'constraints') with i/k?

or am i even moving in the right direction? should i use a chain of 2-joint i/k? something else entirely?

i've done a little digging and haven't found anything too useful.

any and all help is appreciated.

anthonymcgrath
11-14-2007, 09:35 AM
so i'm ripping off chris cunningham's 'all is full of love'.

i've built a model of the two robot arms and an environment and the more i thought about rigging it the more i realized i had no idea how to really go about it. i want to use i/k however i can't figure aout how to tell the system that joint 'a' can only rotate on it's y axis while joint 'b' rotates on it's z axis, etc.

basiclly how do you use rotational constraints (limiting the rotation not adding maya 'constraints') with i/k?

or am i even moving in the right direction? should i use a chain of 2-joint i/k? something else entirely?

i've done a little digging and haven't found anything too useful.

any and all help is appreciated.

as for your question - you can use constraints and only specify a certain axis of rotation or use the 'degrees of freedom' in the joint attributes and turn off the rotations you DONT want to use for each joint
dont bother sticking IK on a chain with only 2 joints its overkill and unpredictable at times really.

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2007, 09:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.