PDA

View Full Version : Solid solution for skinning shoulder?

wayneh6
11-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi, I'm trying to skin the shoulder area of my character and it's giving me an incredibly hard time.

Can anyone suggest a solid method, tool, or tutorial on skinning this part? Thanks.

swag
11-05-2007, 06:17 PM
first look that the mesh topo works for you and not against you and spend some time on skin weight painting and than fix problems with PSD http://www.tokeru.com/t/bin/view/Maya/MayaPoseDeformer

twedzel
11-06-2007, 01:27 AM
The shoulder is undoubtedly one of the the toughest areas on the body to setup well.

Topology is king, you need good topology or you'll be working against yourself. Then look at joint placement. The main joints have to be in the right place, this is pivotal to a good shoulder rig. Next look at rotate order. All the basics should be in order so that what ever joint setup is controlling everything in the shoulder is as robust as possible. This is where your intitial setup can help you or harm you. On top of that you can use helper joints, fan joints, muscle sims, influence objects, PSD's, blendshapes or anything that will help you get goods shapes. then don't forget to keep it all easily animatable.

wayneh6
11-06-2007, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the tip fellas and thanks swag for the the link...I'll check it out!

Here's the topology of the arm area. So far it's been giving me good results experimenting with rigid and soft binds. However keeping the volume in all rotations and combined with lifting the clavicle/scapula is what's giving me trouble.

Also the torso is a seperate mesh than the arms. I'm wondering if I'm working against myself having it this way as opposed to one combined mesh.

Wayne

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2007, 04:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.