PDA

View Full Version : Paths

KenH
04-13-2003, 03:06 AM
I know it's pretty basic, but can someone explain paths? How can you tell a model with a walk cycle to walk along a path in X amount of time....no matter how long the path ie the model walks faster if it's a long path. I can't get my head around the stride length(is that in meters or frames???) and the Chor Crop(????) amongst other things. The manual is little help.
Cheers.

John Keates
04-13-2003, 08:41 PM
To change the speed of movement allong a path you can use the "ease" controll which is at the bottom of the path constraint properties. This sets how far allong the object is at each frame.

I think that stride length is in frames but it doesn't matter, just make the feet cycle with the same timing as the stride length gizmo and it should be OK.

Hope this helps.

KenH
04-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Well, I've been adjusting all the variables and I either get a full step over the whole path or lots of steps standing still. The thing is, I don't know what I'm adjusting. I'm going to leave it for now....my heads wrecked :)

JTalbotski
04-14-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by KenH
I know it's pretty basic, but can someone explain paths? How can you tell a model with a walk cycle to walk along a path in X amount of time....no matter how long the path ie the model walks faster if it's a long path. I can't get my head around the stride length(is that in meters or frames???) and the Chor Crop(????) amongst other things. The manual is little help.
Cheers.

If you are using version 10, there is an option to measure a path (spline). In the choreography, select the path that the character will be constrained to, and right/control click on the path. Choose measure path and write down the measurement. Check to see the length of your characters stride in the walk cycle and divide the path length by the stride length to get the number of times the action should repeat. The character should walk at the correct speed that you created in the walk action and walk the whole length of the path without sliding (unless your walk action isn't as good as it should be).

HTH,

Jim

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.