PDA

View Full Version : Implicit Sphere - Can It be Zeroed Out?

mental
04-13-2003, 03:20 AM
heya, i noticed in Mr. Schleifer's Creature DVD that he used Implicit Spheres ( createNode "implicitSphere"; ) instead of locators or other primitives.

they're handy to use except that i can't figure out how to zero out their translation and rotation values (freeze transformations doesn't work).

is there a way around this limitation or is it inherent to what an Implicit Sphere is?

thanks!

-mental

pyromania
04-13-2003, 03:44 AM
You could always group it to itself, that would zero out all the transfroms. But that seems a bit much for just a control object.

I use a simple polygon object, then delete its connetion to the shading group. Then you get an object that won't render, but you can still zero out all the transforms.

mental
04-13-2003, 08:56 PM
thanks for the reply pyromania. i usually use a primitive or a locator myself.

i was just wondering why Mr. Schleifer would use an Implicit Sphere as a control object if it couldn't be zeroed out. i figured that there might be a way, only that i couldn't find it.

-mental

Doogie
04-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Just so ya know. I didn't like using that poly method for, lets say, encompassing a head (for a rotate head control). This creates a problem I didn't notice at first. You can't select anything inside the cube (like eyebrows...) in shaded mode.

In its place I just use a cube made of a NURBS curve, or some other object.

If ya don't mind that problem, then the polyObject trick is neet-o!

Just my bit...

EDIT: oh, about the implicit spheres... I hate that too! What I usually do is just snap the sphere to the knee or elbow (i mostly use them as pole vectors) so i know where they are supposed to be at bind (and the joints dont move when you add the pole vectors)

jschleifer
04-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Heya!

actually, I don't use the implicit spheres anymore either.. I thought they were cool when i made the DVD, then I found out that they're just too much of a hassle, so I made a nurbs curve in the shape of a sphere, and it works muuuuch better.

implicit spheres.. ick! :)

-jason

Doogie
04-15-2003, 10:36 PM
lol, I agree :)

They're fun to play with (and show off), but not really practical to use.

booo implicit spheres!

mental
04-15-2003, 10:42 PM
hehe. ah well, back to puttin' around with nurbs curves.

thanks for the input guys.

-mental

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.