PDA

View Full Version : parent Constraint Keying Need help please

Atheist-Apostle
11-03-2007, 03:12 AM
Ok i have a marine with a gun parented to his right hand and then i put a parent constraint between the gun and the left hand.

the problem is that now when i want to animate the marine i cant seem to figure out how to make the connection between the left hand and the gun be keyable so that i can turn the parent on and off so as to be able to move the left hand away from the gun.

i have tried making custom atributes for the left hand controller which connect to the parent constraint and i am able to turn the constraint off but i cannot key it after it has been disabled.

Any ideas would be great.
Thanks.:D

MikeRhone
11-03-2007, 08:55 PM
The trick I have found to keying on/off a parent constraint is to have 2 parent constraint objects, one being your marines' hand, and the other a 'world' object. (A locator set to world space should do fine) if you are doing it with 'maintain offset' it should work right off the bat. Just key 'ON' the locator weight as you key 'off' your marines hand constraint.

Hmm... does what I said make sense? It sounded way better in my head before I typed it out hehe.

Atheist-Apostle
11-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Wow it worked perfectly :) so simple spent so much time on this problem thanks man really helped.

MikeRhone
11-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Glad it helped :)

Atheist-Apostle
11-05-2007, 01:06 AM
wat did you mean by setting it to world space ?

MikeRhone
11-05-2007, 06:08 AM
I mean just make sure it doesn't have any parent.

Atheist-Apostle
11-06-2007, 12:20 AM
oh i thought maybe there was a way that after i parented it to the locater that it would be able to move freely without having to move the locator.

Thanks Again.

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2007, 12:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.