PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 4 + Via KT333 = MAJOR MALFUNCTION!!

Ivars
04-11-2002, 07:54 PM
Iīve just purchased a new computer:D
MSI KT3 Ultra (Via KT333 Chipset)
AMD XP1900+
768 MB RAM
GeForce 4 Ti 4400 (creative)
Win 2000

When I download the latest VIA 4in1 drivers (or older, same result) I canīt run 3DSMAX in OpenGL or Direct3D
Itīs the AGP thing thatīs not compatible or something.

Have any of you experienced the same??
Does anyone know what to do?
Other then wait for newer version of the drivers:(

Michael
04-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Hehe another via/nvidia thing...
I have a via chip on my board and a nvidia card, and had heaps of problems. Found a msg board for my exact mobo and got some answers or tips.
Anyway, from all the tips i got i ended up with; Disable AGP 4x and FastWrite, so now my machine is pretty stable.
Now, I dont have the same specs as you, but it is via and nvidia. (I got p3 and gf3)
I didnt have any problems running max or any program, but my machine bsod'ed alot. And according to the msg board, via and nvidia and/or soundblaster cards can mess things up. How is that possible, all 3 are the largest in their field, and they dont work together properly....

Michael

sono
04-12-2002, 07:51 PM
Disclaimer: All attempts at any knowledge in this post probably are not, and advice to be taken lightly :)

On one motherboard we had, Via chipset, with soundblaster Live, and an nvidia card, I had to disable ACPI. With ACPI everything was on the same IRQ , but with the video and soundblaster (and everything else for that matter) where battling over control, and left the system highly unstable.

One of the main problems with changing from the ACPI power scheme to another is, if something goes wrong, you won't be able to boot into windows.... Since we where just testing some hardware configs, we didn't have anything important on the Hard drive, so just reformatted, and installed Win2k , pressing F5 when it asks about the 'other mass storage devices hit F6'. Then you get a choice on what power model to use ... http://www.pchardware.ro/Articles/article.php?id=127

Then I know one guy who got rid of ACPI after it was all installed and he had used it for awhile, by making a new Hardware profile in system, hardware... don't know the details of what all he did there, but made the new profile, booted into the new profile then changed, and then changing in system, device manager, changing the driver for ACPI (under computer) to Standard PC ...

Then again ACPI might not be the problem, does open GL or Direct 3d work in anything else?

Ivars
04-13-2002, 03:19 AM
Thank you for your tips. Iīll try some of it.
I did try to disable AGP 4x and fastwrite, but unfortunatly that didnīt work.

'sono'
It seems like it works rather good other than in MAX. The nifty demos that came with rhe card all worked just fine.

Right now Iīm running my system without viaīs AGP drivers. But then somehow, MAX refuses to display my textures with any more than 256 colors in the viewports....

Dunno why. Do you?

Getting serious headache:scream: :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.