PDA

View Full Version : relighting a scene?

PsychoSilence
11-02-2007, 03:48 PM
hy im learning fusion and im curious on how to relight a 3d scene. u would prolly render a normal and a beauty lass and then import the scene into fusion? can anyone gimme a brief clue about this? maybe a mini scene to explore?

kindest regards,
anselm

Creature
11-02-2007, 09:04 PM
You mean relighting as in completely changing the lighting setup using fusions inbuilt lights? Or colourtweaking a lighting pass that you rendered out?

theotheo
11-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi Anselm,

You use the worldspace-normal pass (or bent normal pass) in fusion to do relighting with the deep-pixel tool "Shader". Which can compute directional lighting with a diffuse and specular component.

If you render the pass seperatly, you can use the channel boolean tool to pipe the normal pass into it fusion's normal channels.

This way you can either use the Shader tool to control the lighing, or use the lighting friom the shader tool as a mask for lets say a brightness/contrast tool or use the lighting as a mask for multipling a ambient occlusion pass over the diffuse (so you can create lighting and soft shadows).

And if you also got a zdepth render pass, you can localize the lighting effect to the depth of the scene as well by using a color curve tool and clamping certain values :)

Hope this makes sense, writing in a hurry :)

Cheers

-the0

PsychoSilence
11-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi Anselm,

You use the worldspace-normal pass (or bent normal pass) in fusion to do relighting with the deep-pixel tool "Shader". Which can compute directional lighting with a diffuse and specular component.

If you render the pass seperatly, you can use the channel boolean tool to pipe the normal pass into it fusion's normal channels.

This way you can either use the Shader tool to control the lighing, or use the lighting friom the shader tool as a mask for lets say a brightness/contrast tool or use the lighting as a mask for multipling a ambient occlusion pass over the diffuse (so you can create lighting and soft shadows).

And if you also got a zdepth render pass, you can localize the lighting effect to the depth of the scene as well by using a color curve tool and clamping certain values :)

Hope this makes sense, writing in a hurry :)

Cheers

-the0

wow great! could u assemble a brief fusion comp? that would be uber-great!!! only like a box on a plane or something...still learning that sh*t :D

Creature
11-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Here you go. The basic setup without shadows or using depth channels

http://www.zabiegly.de/fusiontutorial/relight.jpg (http://www.zabiegly.de/fusiontutorial/relight.zip)

PsychoSilence
11-19-2007, 09:10 AM
hm, for some reason when i open the scene with 5.1 i cant see anything :( blank workspace :cry::cry:

Creature
11-19-2007, 09:54 AM
I saved it in 5.2 and while eyeon says that it should be backwards compatible to 5.1 and 5.0 in reality I experienced quite some problems with opening .2 scenes in lower 5.x versions.

I'm sorry I can't rebuild it in 5.0 or .1 as I went straight from Fusion 4 to 5.2

PsychoSilence
11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
no prob, maybe u can post a screen grab with what u did...

Creature
11-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Here you go

PsychoSilence
11-19-2007, 01:27 PM
btw (off topic) is there a way to gather passes to layers? i have an older comp and need to update all passes/images on foot...thatīs kinda annoying :( cant i just point to teh new master root fodler if the rest of the folder structure is the same?

thanks in advance, Jedi master :)

Creature
11-19-2007, 03:34 PM
There is a script in your Script-Menu that is installed by default with Fusion. It's called "Change Paths" and it does just that. You enter your old path and the new one you want the old one replaced by and click OK to start the convertion process. There's also an option where you can choose if you want to affect Loaders, Savers and/or Proxyfiles.

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2007, 03:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.